UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

IDEA: Duel pit is to PvP as Clans are to RP (read)

After reading this idea, would this be a valuable RP option for the UOG society?

• Yes

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • No

Votes: 37 44.0%
  • Maybe... a good start. Make this change:

Votes: 13 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
IDEA: Duel pit is to PvP as Clans are to RP (read)

CHANGED as of 050201!

4 Clans.

Orcs, Savages, Undead and Demons

This isn’t like factions with town stealing and base guarding… this is like a society with rank, respect and comrodery. This is a place to be in just to have fun, relax, live more of a life. To join, there should be stones placed in race-similar locations. Orc Clan? Orc fort. Demons? Destard. Undead? Brit GY. Savages? An island. Clicking the stone just gives you the clan item… it doesn’t do anything else. Clicking another stone with your clan item in your backpack will do nothing… dropping your clan item and clicking another stone will give you one of those clan items. Wearing the clan item will start your involvement in the clan.

Each clan has a clan-specific item, or a "clan item". Orcs have Orc Masks. Savages have Tribal Masks. Undead have Bone Masks. Demons have a sash.

The importance of each item is that it can only be gotten by a clan member, from that specific clan stone, each clan-mate can only have 1, they disappear once dropped and cannot be traded. When worn, the speech of that clan member changes to its native tongue on the screens of the other clans, but is normal to members of his own clan and those not in a clan. (Think of how a dead player speaks to a player that is alive. The same thing would happen while wearing the clan item, but, instead of "OoOo OOoO", it would be the clan's language) Also, while the items are worn, the appearance of the clan member is changed to a generic, but original, style that represents his clan. When a "masked" (a player wearing the clan item) player is killed, he cannot be looted, and every weapon used while wearing a clan item becomes the equivalent to GM, giving all players a level playing field. This also encourages fighting to be for fun and enjoyment, and not for loot. If you would like to kill people for loot, then factions is for you. The Clans are not created for PvP, but there will be areas where a player can choose to go to fight other clans. The weapons also do not lose durability while wearing the clan item. Each clan item also has a specific name on it… this is the name that will become the name of the clan member wearing the certain item. This allows for a player to build his own reputation within the clans, but also be known for that name and not for his hair/neon shit/items. This also allows ANY current player to join a clan. Get a clan item, put it on, and become that creature. Dont want to be the creature anymore? Take it off.

TIC - Time in Clan
From the moment a member joins a clan, the only title he will receive is a rank structure, which is based on how long that person has been in his clan. This rank structure is only active while the clan item is worn, and TIC is only gained while the clan item is on (logging off stops the progression of TIC… this prevents someone making a random char, putting him in right away, and never using him.) This is also important because shouldn't the highest ranked players in a clan be ones that play a lot? And... this way... it cant be a popularity contest (VOTE ME FOR CL! Ill use my faction messaging to insult other guilds!) Once the clan item is removed, it takes 5 minutes to re-equip it and become the creature again. An example of the rank structure is this:

Hours/Weeks Necessary to achieve Rank (Precent of the total clan‘s population) - (Rank)
(Each new rank starts the time over. After becoming an Initiate, you have a NEW 3 weeks of playing time before you become a Warrior).

0/0 (25%) - Recruit
168/1 (20%) - Initiate
504/3 (20%) - Warrior
840/5 (15%) - Leader
1176/7 (10%) - Elder
2016/12 (8%) - Elite
Voted In (2%) - Legend

Example:
If there are already the max amount of Elders, and a Leader has hit his 7 week mark, he’ll have to wait until either more join the clan, until his time becomes higher than one of the current Elders, or until one of the Elders leaves. This provides a balanced rank structure.

Leadership Ranks!
The ranks of Leader, Elder and Elite are now called "Leadership" Ranks. Any of these ranks can start a vote to kick a member of a clan out. Also, leadership ranks VOTE for which Elite will represent their clan as a Legend. ONLY the leadership ranks can vote for this. This allows the players to choose who is the highest in the clan, and prevents players from making new characters just to vote their friend in. A term as Legend lasts for 2 weeks.

Importance of rank:
The most importance aspect of rank is that a clan member with a Leadership Rank can attack a lower ranked clan member at will. This prevents stupid amounts of shit-talking and also encourages respect between the ranks. If an Initiate calls an Elder a “STOOPID NOOB OMG!”, then the Elder and probably other higher ranked clan members would kill him (or attack him). Respect is a big deal, and allowing the leadership ranks to attack those that are disrespectful encourages it.

Territory:
A 3 screen radius would exist around each stone, making it so if a player from another clan were to cross within that area, he would become orange and the clan-members inside the area would also become orange to him. Territory protection. No... you cant capture their base... but you can run onto it and attack it. This idea allows raids to take place between clan members who are in the mood for a brawl, without having to worry about points or loot. Good, clean, tactical fun.

Monster Interaction:
Players within the clans, while wearing the clan items, will be treated as friendly to all monsters with the same monster type. For example, the Orc clan could sit with the orcs within the orc fort as if the same creature. For this experience, they will be. This adds a valuable element of realism. (One might say "But, whats better? Orcs or Demons?!" Keep in mind, usually one or two Demon characters are together at a time, while many more Orcs spawn in the same area. This is also true for Savages and the Undead. They each have their advantages.)

This is a very serious game idea… one that would give players like me (and a lot of other players) something that they could really get into and enjoy. A lot of respect and progression. And, its perfect for UOG. A society that everyone can enjoy… and then they can take a break and go to the duel pits, play poker, fight in factions or become someone different.

(To me… doing this will stop this shard from being completely item-driven and allow interested players the option of playing within a society that’s about respect and not about neon hair. RP filled with PvP. A world where your known for your name and not your sandals. Duel Pit + Clans? A perfect UO? I think this is close.)

ANSWERS TO A COMMONLY ASKED QUESTION:

This idea could be made simply with guilds... but much of what makes it as good as it is would be lost. A list of reasons are as follows:

First of all, if a player were interested in joining, and the gm wasnt on, he wouldnt be able to.
If the gm didnt play for a while, players wouldnt be added, they would become uninterested, and the idea could be lost.
Rank would not be able to be calculated through hours/weeks accurately.
Languages (if added) would not be changed.
Not just any player could join... you would need to start a brand new one and coordiate outfits (which means some could just refuse and ruin the concept).
You'd have a gm that decides to add his best buddy, who refused to make a new char. Therefore, youll have "Sir Fucksalot" the Orc.
The radius around the stone couldn't be added... therefore it would take out all possible fighting, excluding war declarations.
The list goes on...

The point is anyone could be involved. If you wanted to war another group, you would force players not interested in warring to war the enemy clans.

It would be average, at best, if run by players. All the GM's need to do is implement the system. It is not run by GM's. It is, once again, the same concept as factions.

Talus-hybrid

Wanderer
If you want good roleplay youre going to have to consider the option of leaving the players to run their own guilds outside of GM influence or youre never going to get to your maximum potential... I mean, a successful player-ran RP guild is going to be better then a successful GM-ran RP guild, simply because it took them more work to get to where they are, and because of being outside GM influence, they may have more of a "Drive" to roleplay then GM-ran RP guilds.

The best RP guilds were on Great Lakes, there was this council that would plan events and such, but besides that, the guilds were on their own and thats how it should be.

GMs have a job to do and if they want to make a seperate account and roleplay then all the power to them but I dont think GM's themselves should be involved in rp, and I dont think RP should be restricted to these selected few guilds.

IMHO

I also think going OOC in-game openly should be punished. Youre here to roleplay. Do so. Dont and you should be slapped on the wrist. This has always been heavily enforced on RP and if you also remember, the Bloodrock clan NEVER broke character in-game, NEVER had anything to do with the staff, and was, hands down, one of the most successful RP guilds in the history of UO.

Thats what you need to strive to achieve as an RP guild.

--votes yes--

Talus said:
If you want good roleplay youre going to have to consider the option of leaving the players to run their own guilds outside of GM influence or youre never going to get to your maximum potential... I mean, a successful player-ran RP guild is going to be better then a successful GM-ran RP guild, simply because it took them more work to get to where they are, and because of being outside GM influence, they may have more of a "Drive" to roleplay then GM-ran RP guilds.

The best RP guilds were on Great Lakes, there was this council that would plan events and such, but besides that, the guilds were on their own and thats how it should be.

GMs have a job to do and if they want to make a seperate account and roleplay then all the power to them but I dont think GM's themselves should be involved in rp, and I dont think RP should be restricted to these selected few guilds.

IMHO

I also think going OOC in-game openly should be punished. Youre here to roleplay. Do so. Dont and you should be slapped on the wrist. This has always been heavily enforced on RP and if you also remember, the Bloodrock clan NEVER broke character in-game, NEVER had anything to do with the staff, and was, hands down, one of the most successful RP guilds in the history of UO.

Thats what you need to strive to achieve as an RP guild.

Will you marry me, please, you stole the words right out of my mouth.

Talus-hybrid

Wanderer
ColdBlood said:
this is a fucking great idea
and it wouldnt be rp, it would be pvp :)
rp is fighting monsters and talking shit

thats not true. obviously you never roleplayed on GL OSI.

On great lakes i was in a few RP guilds and for each there was usually two stones. One stone would be for training your character, for running a player-ran town, and also for crafters. The other stone would be your military force which would almost strictly be geared towards PvP scenes that were thought up by the RP Council--which held representatives of each recognized RP guild.

Lets think of it this way...

One my last days of OSI I remember a fight between guilds on Skara Brea, GL, where one clan, all wearing tan robes (if you RPd on osi you know who I mean), with iron barded dragons, staring down their enemies. It was cool to watch them--it was like two armies ready to face off and it was all in character.

rp isnt all about fighting monsters and saying "Thou mayest go to helleth!". If thats all your guild is about you need to find a new rp guild. ;)

When I think of RP, I think of playing a game as a character... through that character. For example... a name, a socitial structure. Respect. Right now, UOG is 100% items and PvP... I dont see a society.

I cant really explain my thoughts on that, and I know im going to get flamed for what i just said... but I think of more than just sitting in the duel pits afk or farming pts to feel "leet".

To add to the above idea and the responses that followed:

This wouldnt be run by GM's. It would be started by GM's. The structure and the system would be put in by GM's. Is factions run by GM's? No... I wouldnt say so. Well... this idea is the same. Its not meant to rely on GM's... the way the duel pits dont. It simply needs to be implemented.

Grrr... whenever I read the idea... I get all excited. *sigh*

Icey

Sorceror
no, stop trying to push this retarded-ass idea. roleplay with what you have already as the roleplayers have throughout uo history. there is no need for this new system to be put in. if you want that shit, you are in the wrong place. find a new shard that is for roleplaying or stop posting this stuff. because, i am tired of seeing it whenever i go into general discussion.

Icey... this shard is NOT only PvP... if it was, then why would the GM's hold RP events? Goooood point.

Also.... no one asked you to come into the forums/look at my topics. Go away... make yourself and others happy. If not, dont complain.

Icey

Sorceror
i never said it was only pvp, moron. i said it was already being supported enough and doesn't need more of this bullshit.

jblue21

Wanderer
I think with some fine tuning it would be a good idea. Get enough GM involvment to start it out on the right foot, and then let the players take over. Give them the tools needed to keep it going strong. I think RP is supported here, but it definately needs a shot in the arm. Non RP players are real dicks to the current RPers, and it is very discouraging.

The language translation thing I doubt will work, even though it's a badass idea. But the rankings, special items, and such, I do like. I say push for it. Just don't expect all the nonPVP to like it much...

jblue21

Wanderer
But I think you should leave wizards out of the list. There are already mages running around everywhere. If you were gonna put in wizards, make it really difficult to climb the ranking ladder. And give them something that puts them over other mages to get a little more respect. I actually say that all the clans should get something that gives them a competitive edge over the average population, simply because they are showing they have self control to stay in character, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't RP, but I admire the people who put in the time to make a true character, not just a cartoon with some kid behind it that's out of school doing their thing. In a way, this would also add some seperation between hardcore PvP and RP groups, because of the incentive to stick with your clan. I'm just spouting off ideas. I'll shut up before I get yelled at. lol

Icey

Sorceror
good idea on shutting up, because you are missing the point of the shard all together. this shard is not based on an rp community, as we see that 95% of the patches that go through have to do with changes to the game mechanics to balance PVP out. i like to the think of the rp community as a side dish, something to keep players here. the staff's encouragement of roleplaying seems to be doing its job as of now, which would be bringing in new players. this system is not needed and i will push continually for it to not be implemented.

Devine

Page
jblue21 said:
But I think you should leave wizards out of the list. There are already mages running around everywhere. If you were gonna put in wizards, make it really difficult to climb the ranking ladder. And give them something that puts them over other mages to get a little more respect. I actually say that all the clans should get something that gives them a competitive edge over the average population, simply because they are showing they have self control to stay in character, etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't RP, but I admire the people who put in the time to make a true character, not just a cartoon with some kid behind it that's out of school doing their thing. In a way, this would also add some seperation between hardcore PvP and RP groups, because of the incentive to stick with your clan. I'm just spouting off ideas. I'll shut up before I get yelled at. lol
Then you just got people putting mages in the wizards clan and having them sit online 24/7 like macroing murder counts off just so you can get that little edge over other people.

There's enough RP support by GMs in the game, no more is needed. If you want to talk to other people in your guild so that nobody else can understand you download teamspeak or ventrilo.

jblue21

Wanderer
Why do you always have to be so rude to everyone. I'm just giving ideas out, and you gotta say something rude to start off EVERYTHING... I see your posts on here and just skip them, cause you're usually trying to start a pissing contest with someone. Just chill out, actually voice your opinions and leave out the harsh overtones. I'm not gonna start arguing with ya. Just sharing thoughts and ideas...

Anyways... PvP is the leader between PvP and RP. But that's basically because there is so much for PvP and not as much attention for RP. It's true that most patches and changes are balancing out PvP. RP just has the support of the staff and little else. I don't think it would hurt one bit to see the minority of RP players given a boost. What is it gonna hurt? Bring in more players, so more PvP in the end, even if they are RPers. If you offer a variety of PvP and a RP on your own free will, you'll attract a more broad player base. Makes for a more interesting shard, do you not agree?

Directed to your comments about the wizards...

The part of discipline is being in a situation where your neon isnt showing and you cant run around, gank others all day long. No clan has an advantage over another... its all what you make of it.

To those making comments about how RP doesnt need anymore GM support... your probably the same people enjoying the duel system after you get finished with a GM run tournament or a GM event. Ok... you may think that way, and I respect it, but others disagree. That opinion has been stated many times... we got it.

Please... everyone. Note this: Adding this system wouldnt change ANYTHING! The only way it would change it if the... players... joined the clans. Think about it. If there was the faction system as it is... and no one was in factions... then factions wouldnt change anything.

Right.

Britishh

Wanderer
The RP Guilds will establish themselves and kill eachother just fine. Currently there arent any strong, good aligned rp (pvp) guilds. TcD Vampires and Bloodclan Orcs are both evil, and allied. Good (pvp) guilds:

Status
Not open for further replies.