UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

I remember when...

brutay

Wanderer
I remember when...

I thought it'd be fun to post a nostalgia trip for those of you who played way back in the day. I'm not making this thread to be like "omg i played b4 u noobs" or any of that crap, but enjoy.
I heard about UO from playing Dark Sun Online on Ten.net. I mainly played Duke3d / Quake1 on Ten.net, then discovered my love for online mmorpgs, and as the game was going downhill people talked about checkin out UO. So I ended up getting it for my 11th birthday, about ~10 years ago, which explains why I was such a newb. Anyways:

I remember I made my first character on Catskills, started in Jhelom and found cats all over the place. I thought it was because the server name was Catskills, not because cats just spawned there.
I remember when I thought holding tab (war mode) made your character dance.
I remember wondering why guards didn't like me dancing with people.
I remember being too scared to leave town my first few hours of playing. I'd see 'you have left the protection of the town guards' and running back where i came from.
I remember getting PKed for my first time on my first day asking this dude with a cool red name for a weapon in that little hidden area in between the mountain near Trinsic.
I remember using the tracking skill to find Mongbats in the Minoc forest for money.
I remember saving up enough to buy a boat by gathering kindling and selling it to a provisioner.
I remember when you'd have to cut bandages/fish steaks one by one out of a pile.
I remember when items wouldn't decay on a boat.. I'd save EVERYTHING I found. I had a boat parked by those 3 huts south of the Minoc bank with about 15 treasure chests full of random junk like fertile dirt and pieces of fruit.
I remember when there were only a few GM mages on the server. (i played Baja)
I remember saving my first backpack full of loot from an orc captain for over a year because I was so proud I downed an orc.
I remember obsessively checking to make sure my boat was locked.
I remember obsessively checking to make sure other people's boats werent locked.
I remember getting my first house by finding an unlocked boat with ~30k valorite ingots, and selling them for 2gp each to a random smith who then took me to place my first house. His name was Memp.
I remember when I'd have to use tracking skill to not get lost from my friend while hunting ettins in T2A.
I remember when I thought I could be a smith/mage/swordsman/tracker/thief because a counselor told me 7000 was the skill cap, instead of 700.0.
I remember before skillcaps you'd gain .1 and your hard earned skill would go down o 99.9. sad day.
I remember snooping from multiple tiles away.
I remember when you could loot someone's house if they left it unlocked. Oh glorious day.
I remember my first vanq - I flipped shit irl because I thought they were like God weapons.
I remember the musicianship bug where you said "I honor thee" and honored your instrument for an instant skill timer reset.
I remember when banksitters would help their towny pvp friend kill a dude by boxxing in.
I remember getting bitten by a snake before school, logging off and worrying all day at school that my character was dead.
I still remember my icq# by heart.
I remember when everyone hung out at the minoc mines.
I remember a gm smith named TUCO that repaired my magic shield for me. I don't know why.
I remember stealing all day long with my friend Poopsy, GM of POO (Possessors of Objects)
I remember the double hally hit salute bug. heh.
I remember raising healing by cliff jumping for hours on end.
I remember how happy I was to get my first title - "Fair"
I remember killing Reapers by fire fielding them and running away.
I remember when people would gain magery by summoning earth eles outside the minoc provisioners, and all of the newbs would train swords and stuff on em.
I remember when magic items didn't stay IDed. It was a bitch to steal good magic stuff unless you had item id.
I remember running through in my head what a badass my character was when I used forensic ID on a players corpse to find out who did it, then tracking them down and bringing justice to the vile fiend. Then I found out PKs are usually way better than a dude who hunts mongbats all day.
I remember when you could tame anything that a tamer released with 0 skill. I had a WW on my mage, and all i could do is "Snow guard me". I'd have to feed it about 60 times to get it to follow me, but I felt so awesome with that badboy following my newb self through town.
I remember before "all" was a pet command.
I remember before UOAssist was legal.
I remember playing fullscreen.
I remember when mages would walk around with 2 summoned daemons and be a pvp force to be reckoned with.
I remember stealing house deeds.
I remember finding out you could steal from a vendor's 'vendor buy' list. I went to buccs and stole every boat deed. Unfortunately I found this out after house deeds were newbified.
I remember when you died, you got the option to insta rez on the spot for statloss.
I remember taking statloss so I didn't lose my 'platemail gorget'.
I remember having the UO strategy guide parked next to my keyboard for emergencies, like when I came across a gazer and quickly looked up his challange rating, and decided it was way too hard.
I remember the huge ass booklet that came with UO, and staying up past bed time trying to memorize power words.
I remember going on a guild raid to Titan valley, and having trouble.
I remember training stats on training dummies/pickpocket dips for hours before I knew about LastObject.
I remember my older brother trying to get me in trouble for standing on a pentagram summoning daemons. He told my mom it was a "cult game", and had her going for a while. Pissed me off.
I remember before anatomy added damage, and using it to size up someone before I attacked.

That's all I can remember for now, i'll add more as I think of em.. feel free to add/share any of yours :)

My chars were BrutalB and Mr.Man, then a friend gave me his account and I played as Ghostface and Habib.
peace!

Jacob26

Wanderer
Re: I remember when...

I remember when i was like 8, I made a tamer on Great Lakes.I tamed a sheep,hart and a rabbit I believe.I ran into town feeling proud.I went to the healer in Moonglow,all killed the healer, got guard whacked then cried :<

I watched my brother GM Resist by being on a boat with 2 people healing him.Then 3 people outside were summoning daemons to hit him.

pbickerd

Wanderer

I remember gaining resist by casting bladespirit upstairs in a house then running underneath it.
I remember also gaining resist by running up and down firefields with friends healing.
I remember killing blues by waiting for them to cast firefield then running through it to flag them grey (people seemed to use it a lot back then)
I remember training weaponskills at the bonewall in deceit.
I remember being terrified when reds came and like 10 of us would run when 3 reds came onscreen.

Xx-GoD-xX

Knight

lol, i did most of those things too :< kinda sad if you really think about it

first time i ever got pked was at the crossroads, i still can't remember how the hell i got out there lol, but the reds (all 10 of them) were kind enough to res and give me my stuff back, and give me a gate back to britian, mighty damn kind of them lol,

got my first house collecting leather, making sleeves, and then selling them to the armorers, and basicly never leaving britian, ever!

Xx-GoD-xX

Knight

the reds were the worst, i'd always flee like a mother whenever i saw one! i was like! HOLY SHIT! A RED! what do i do!

brutay

Wanderer

haha yea. red name on the screen = HIT KEYS AND DROP YOUR MOUSE OFF THE DESK, YOU'RE SCREWED EITHER WAY!

Clone

Sorceror

Bonewall ftw.... Lol 2 reds could own 10 noobs any day, bs and ev would make me shit my self, poison fields and fire fields right in that hall. I remember going to the tera swamp pool taming mares, then when someone else tried to tame I remember getting on my pk and eving the pool... I remember no delay on heal pots. I remember walking around with 10 dragons at 1 time.... God controlling those things was a bitch.

Clone

Sorceror

Cid_Mutation;1490525 said:
I remember when regs spawn in the forest i would run around brit to get enough to learn magery....

Haha... I ran around moonglow pickin up regs like a crackhead lookin for a rock. I must have looked pretty damn bad back then

Clone

Sorceror

I remember when I first went red, I died and ressed like 3 times after that, opened my paperdoll and was an Adept Fencer... I was pissed

mattfoley

Sorceror

My first char was a swords/miner/blacksmith on Drachenfels before i knew there was a skill cap

Clone

Sorceror

I have still my first char on my osi account. Never deleted him. I used to think perma red was some sort of 3 strike rule or somethin, like you went red so many times now you have to stay red, even if you have 0 counts. Oh and I used to think you could go blue from gaining karma.... Wow I was a total noob

brutay

Wanderer

Clone;1490562 said:
I have still my first char on my osi account. Never deleted him. I used to think perma red was some sort of 3 strike rule or somethin, like you went red so many times now you have to stay red, even if you have 0 counts. Oh and I used to think you could go blue from gaining karma.... Wow I was a total noob

wait, you mean to tell me that you can't go perma red? ohhhh god. 10 years of my life ruined.