UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Finished with Downtime on 7-31

ASayre

Retired RunUO Developer
Finished with Downtime on 7-31

Hello. on July 27th, one of our Harddrives in our RAID 5 failed. Due to the RAID, all our data is thankfully in place. Some of you have noticed though that the saves began to take much longer. Having one of the drives degraded will do that.

The last save before the crash did NOT complete. This means there'll be a small revert when we do get it back up. It was unavoidable.

All the data is backed up and safe, as well as still being fine and present on the demise Server. On 2 other locations. One being the web server which has an even more aggressive safety system, and the other being my home computer.

Rather than risk losing the entire array though, we brought down the server and we are currently working with our host, EV1 Servers, to get the drive replaced, rebuilt, and then we should carry on like normal.

In response to this though, we have upped our backup policies to do an automatic, nightly backup to a different computer. This backup will consist of everything, scripts, saves, data, etc.

Thanks for your patience,

The Demise Staff

(There is no current ETA as it'll take however long it takes for the drive to be replaced and for it to be rebuilt from the other drives. Asking for an ETA won't help it go any faster, we're doing whatever we can to get it back up asap.)

EDIT 11pm PST: The faulty drive has been replaced and is in the process of being rebuilt.

Edit 1AM: previous report was inaccurate. The replacing is NOW successful, and rebuilding is underway. EV1 tech said ABOUT 8 hours. This is a minimum time, The ev1 tech said they'll call me (which'll wake me up in my much needed sleep) so I can get the server back up when it's done!

EDIT 11AM: The server is BACK UP. Sorry for the extra 2 horus before getting it up even though the drive was rebuilt, was asleep!

Anyways, it's all fixed and we have a total of FOUR drives now in our raid. Thanks for your continued patience!

Re: Downtime 7-31

Well, replacing drives and rebuilding them can take quite a while, depending on how much data needs to be rebuilt and transferred.

And most likely, it wont be worked on strait through as everyone needs their sleep and such, so just as an opinion from someone who does this kind of thing for a living, It could take anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

However, knowing our great staff and their commitment to us, I would definately have to say much sooner then later. :)

death_kult

Sorceror

a few days? paragon dancer... where do you work that could tolerate a few days of downtime for a failed drive?

death_kult said:
a few days? paragon dancer... where do you work that could tolerate a few days of downtime for a failed drive?

Oh, no no, I just meant in general depending on how hard people work and such. Obviously a business isn't going to let something like that happen, but if it happened to the average joe, yes, a few days is a possibility.

Sorry, didn't mean to be so vague there.

meh.... could be worse.... an uh.... you should intitute some way to buy 1,000,000 gold for like .... say $45... I'd poop...
peas,
Fan

atesterman

Wanderer

well i'm just glad to see the problem wasnt my client (buggy as a mofo btw).

I just hope it comes online soon. But thanks for telling us whats up.

+Karma to all UOGamers: Demise Staff and support

Fandango Grimm said:
meh.... could be worse.... an uh.... you should intitute some way to buy 1,000,000 gold for like .... say $45... I'd poop...
peas,
Fan

That would destroy the economy...
Also. Grimm. Check your PM's.

Asayre Thank you for the update m8!!

And bloody well down guys thats a great turn around time!

Thanks to all the UOGamers / Demise team!

skreebus

Wanderer

The staff here at demise is really awesome you guys are quick and informative about everything. Thanks a lot guys.

elongshanks

Wanderer

That would be somewhat interesting to watch lol.....And great job guys hopefully the rollback wont be too far back :)