UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Bravery vs Courage

Are these the same?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iddio

Page
Re: Bravery vs Courage

This is the thread that never ends,
Yes, it goes on and on, my friends.
Some people started typing it, not knowing what it was,
and they'll continue typing it forever just because...

Skyfal;2120221 said:
when did i pull the are you a virgin card? maybe stop being insecure about it and you wont slip up and think i said it.

yeah sucks u dont know what u learned in middle school

what's sadder?

You didn't actually read the entire thread, did you?

Every time you respond, you dig your "dumbass grave" even deeper dude. Do yourself a favor and stop before you accidentally get in an argument with yourself.

Mara

Knight

Skyfal sometimes reminds me of someone that would throw a cherry bomb into a toilet just to see what will happen...while you are still sitting on it.

No offense Skyfal, it can be an interesting approach to a discussion. A little like Shock and Awe.

Kaby

Wanderer

I can't read this thread anymore.

As far as I'm concerned, they're two words that should NOT be synonymous, yet have simply evolved to be. To the average person, they are completely the same, yet to an English major/novelist/professional writer, the two words will be used differently depending on context.

Like if you're writing an article about soldiers, people who KNOW what they are going into and knowing full well what can happen to them, courage would be the more proper word.

Whereas if a house is burning down and some random guy just bursts in to save the 70 year old grandma and her 5 cats...that's a context for bravery. It's an adrenaline rush and a complete in-the-moment act.

In normal, everyday language, though, they're just the same basic meaning.

Rasah

Sorceror

The distinction you just made has nothing to do with why the words are not the same... I don't get why this is such a hard concept for some of you to grasp.

The words are not synonymous by definition but in most cases either word would fit sensibly (and grammatically correct) into a given sentence.

character

Wanderer

Mara;2120555 said:
Skyfal sometimes reminds me of someone that would throw a cherry bomb into a toilet just to see what will happen...while you are still sitting on it.

No offense Skyfal, it can be an interesting approach to a discussion. A little like Shock and Awe.

awe why so mean? im more of the type to shoot bottle rockets under the bathroom door while someone is in it. i dont mess with cherry bombs.

Mara

Knight

Skyfal;2120628 said:
awe why so mean? im more of the type to shoot bottle rockets under the bathroom door while someone is in it. i dont mess with cherry bombs.

I wasn't trying to be mean at all. It might actually be fun to do to some people. Sometimes you come in guns a blazing is all.

character

Wanderer

this all started from him trying to prove me wrong and ended up in another thread. yet i was right about some simply shit but i come in gunz blazing? sry i talk shit back when someone tries to do it to me

Mara

Knight

Nah, I wasn't really referring to this thread. Just an observation, anyway, that you sort of jump into some topics explosively, while other people are laying down some crap in the thread. I meant no offense, it wasn't really even necessarily a negative comment. I thought maybe you do it to see what kind of a rise or reaction you can get out of people, but maybe you aren't really even aware of it. It's cool man.

dixie;2118469 said:
In the English language they do. Just sayin'. You're saying that the word roots are different, and I understand that. However, language is not static and changes over time. The present meaning and usage of these words in English is the same.

You have an affinity for the English language. This is me intrigued. Keep up the good work. :)

Obviously there are two different words with two different definitions:

bravery: brave spirit or conduct; courage; valor

courage: the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery

*Please refer to dictionary.com if you assume incorrectly that I'm full of shit.

While both definitions reference each other, if they were perfectly similar they would own perfectly similar definitions.

Upon closer inspection both words appear when referenced to a thesaurus. Similar words, with slightly different meanings. As a writer, many dynamics determine the use of particular words for particular purposes. A writer's mind is a world always traversed, yet never mapped. As the English language changes with the flavors of the day, so must the writer (text speak nonwithstanding).

At the end of the day (10:08 P.M. Pacific Time), this diction discourse delivers a debate that invokes an attention to detail and communal investigation of a subject, which can never be a bad thing. Language is the vehicle upon which communication travels.

Mara

Knight

Skyfal;2120771 said:
this all started from him trying to prove me wrong and ended up in another thread. yet i was right about some simply shit but i come in gunz blazing? sry i talk shit back when someone tries to do it to me

Don't worry about it. My problem is that I sometimes have too much to say and I'll say it all anyway, even though sometimes nobody wants to hear it. I lose track of the audience and the venue a bit, and forget that this place is supposed to be about having fun. I'll work on it though.

character

Wanderer

Mara;2120790 said:
Nah, I wasn't really referring to this thread. Just an observation, anyway, that you sort of jump into some topics explosively, while other people are laying down some crap in the thread. I meant no offense, it wasn't really even necessarily a negative comment. I thought maybe you do it to see what kind of a rise or reaction you can get out of people, but maybe you aren't really even aware of it. It's cool man.

i must admit i do have an abrasive personality :( even though i am a pretty nice guy and yes i do like to indirectly piss people off

Kaby

Wanderer

Rasah;2120582 said:
The distinction you just made has nothing to do with why the words are not the same... I don't get why this is such a hard concept for some of you to grasp.

The words are not synonymous by definition but in most cases either word would fit sensibly (and grammatically correct) into a given sentence.
It actually has everything to do with it. I simply provided an example as to why they're not while stating that most people would use the words as synonyms.

The language is constantly evolving. Even if a word is used incorrectly, if it's constantly used and shown in our every day lives, the new meaning becomes acceptable. Words like "faggot" that used to be harmless became hateful words towards certain people just because its use became widespread and common. It still has an original meaning, yet took on a new meaning simply due to the evolution of our language, which can have both positive and negative effects.

Brave/Courageous are often used without much regard to their roots because emphasis is hardly ever placed on it. As I said before, bravery is more of an adrenaline rush and a temporary thing, while courage itself is a permanent characteristic that very few people in this world truly have.

Anyone can be brave. Very few can be courageous. But in today's language, they are used synonymously due to how our language has evolved over time, except by those who actually know what they're doing.

It's not a hard concept for me to grasp at all, and maybe you should read a bit more thoroughly before coming to that kind of conclusion again :) Good day.

jessen13

Sorceror

dixie;2118469 said:
In the English language they do. Just sayin'. You're saying that the word roots are different, and I understand that. However, language is not static and changes over time. The present meaning and usage of these words in English is the same.

The present meaning of these two words in our society are different. Where have you been where the two are considered the same?

laurabo;2118465 said:
This is what I found:

The word courage comes from the French coeur, meaning heart. It is thus a quality of character that enables an individual to plan an action plan to address a particular difficulty. The word bravery comes from the Spanish word bravado, which means a single, spontaneous act of value. This is not a planned action, but a reaction to a crisis.

So I guess there is a difference after all.

This is what I learned in college in one of my English classes and 10 years later it is what I learned in the military at OCS. It seems pretty straight-forwrd to me folks that the two have distinctly different meanings. I'm sure the meaning of the two gets mistaken as the same all the time. We do that constantly with things in the English language, but there IS a difference between bravery & courage.

Iddio

Page

Hello? Sorry to interrupt but would any of you kind sirs know what the difference between Bravery and Courage... hrmmm?