UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Bravery vs Courage

Are these the same?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laurabo

Wanderer
Re: Bravery vs Courage

This is what I found:

The word courage comes from the French coeur, meaning heart. It is thus a quality of character that enables an individual to plan an action plan to address a particular difficulty. The word bravery comes from the Spanish word bravado, which means a single, spontaneous act of value. This is not a planned action, but a reaction to a crisis.

So I guess there is a difference after all.

dixie

Sorceror

laurabo;2118465 said:
This is what I found:

The word courage comes from the French coeur, meaning heart. It is thus a quality of character that enables an individual to plan an action plan to address a particular difficulty. The word courage comes from the Spanish word bravado, which means a single, spontaneous act of value. This is not a planned action, but a reaction to a crisis.

So I guess there is a difference after all.

While each word came from a different language originally, that does not mean that their present use in our language (which is separate from both of the words' derivations) is different, similar to the word "chickpea" and the word "garbanzo bean." While they have different roots, they describe the same thing--a tasty bean that can be used to make hummus.

dixie

Sorceror

Skyfal;2118462 said:
wouldn't it be on your french toast sammich?

Never french toast, usually turkey and roast beef with steamed spinach and artichokes.

laurabo

Wanderer

dixie;2118466 said:
While each word came from a different language originally, that does not mean that their present use in our language (which is separate from both of the words' derivations) is different, similar to the word "chickpea" and the word "garbanzo bean." While they have different roots, they describe the same thing--a tasty bean that can be used to make hummus.

If you read the whole post you'll see they do not describe the same thing.
Im just saying.

dixie

Sorceror

laurabo;2118468 said:
If you read the whole post you'll see they do not describe the same thing.
Im just saying.

In the English language they do. Just sayin'. You're saying that the word roots are different, and I understand that. However, language is not static and changes over time. The present meaning and usage of these words in English is the same.

dixie

Sorceror

Skyfal;2118470 said:
You call that a sammich and there no bacon?

There's also tomato, swiss and pesto. You can only put so much on one sandwich!

character

Wanderer

dixie;2118469 said:
In the English language they do. Just sayin'. You're saying that the word roots are different, and I understand that. However, language is not static and changes over time. The present meaning and usage of these words in English is the same.

because the english language changes nonstop because the majority of ignorant people dont know the difference.

character

Wanderer

dixie;2118471 said:
There's also tomato, swiss and pesto. You can only put so much on one sandwich!

but bacon should be the first thing you put on!!!!!!!! then some ham, lettuce, tomato , Etc

dixie

Sorceror

Skyfal;2118472 said:
because the english language changes nonstop because the majority of ignorant people dont know the difference.

Exactly! So tomorrow, these two words might actually mean something different ;)

Mara

Knight

The difference between bravery and idiocy is always a good discussion. It pays to stay humble and appreciate everyone around you that you can. You never know who is going to be the guy/gal that will run into a burning building to save you and your loved ones. Just might be the guy changing the trash bags that everyone sees fit to think they are better than.

RAKninja

Page

no, not the same. similar concepts, though.

i'm pretty sure that in the army, there is a clear distinction between the two, but then again, most people dont accuse the army of being the sharpest knives in the drawer.

character

Wanderer

Mara;2118563 said:
The difference between bravery and idiocy is always a good discussion. It pays to stay humble and appreciate everyone around you that you can. You never know who is going to be the guy/gal that will run into a burning building to save you and your loved ones. Just might be the guy changing the trash bags that everyone sees fit to think they are better than.

TY. do you play uo or are you just here for wisdom?

Mara

Knight

I play alot, probably too much. I was in the middle of moving a bunch of music from one computer to the other and also trying to finish off a tamer to see if I wanted to do the frenzied ostard thing again.