UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A tip for mindless taming

weed420

Wanderer
A tip for mindless taming

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but i was mindlessly taming, going crazy, and i stumbled upon an easier way to take care of it.. If you have GM peace/music (doesn't take long at all, about 6 hours of macroing and 10 lutes did it for me), just peace whatever you're going to tame.. even if it's not agressive. This is how it goes for me:

Hey look! a white wolf! i'll peace it first, then i have a razor macro that loops tame/last target every 2 seconds. The stupid wolf drools and stares off into space for about 7-10 taming attempts. when peace wears off just stop the razor macro and re-peace. Doing this i was able to get from 55-70 in just about 2 hours, and it sure as hell beats following the annoying animals around while you tame them. they stay peaced long enough to do things like pee.. and get a snack.. rock on.

Again, sorry if it's been mentioned in the past.. it helped me maybe it can help you.

weed420

Wanderer
Re: A tip for mindless taming

I've been using it the whole time and i'm 97.9 now.. almost there! the only downside is sometimes you have to wait for peace to wear off before you can release or command it. i find when taming stuff that i tend to succeed on more often, i tame manually so there's less standing around waiting for peace. but if you know you'll fail a bit it's a good method.

You could also combine this with the jewelry "trick" - carry a selection of +Animal Taming jewels (insured ;)) to allow you to always have the minimum chance to tame whichever animal you are using. Enough to get a gain chance, while hardly ever succeeding.

FE

weed420

Wanderer

I'm finding it nearly impossible to find even cheap +5 jewels.. i spent a few hours vendor surfing a while ago and never even saw anything with the word "animal taming". i would love to use one though.. i just tamed a nightmare with 97.9 taming.. i wasn't able to do it a second time so i dont know how lucky i got..=\

Drittz

Wanderer

alternativly u can auto follow them, i beleive the default key is alt click, cant remember if its left or right click but it will auto follow them and u dont need peacing :D

Ulizeus

Sorceror

Dusk;331367 said:
alternativly u can auto follow them, i beleive the default key is alt click, cant remember if its left or right click but it will auto follow them and u dont need peacing :D

Didnt know this :eek:

Sergesies

Wanderer

Ulizeus;331561 said:
Didnt know this :eek:

lol:)

yea i gave up with taming, Its always hated me i had friends that spent 2-3 hours a day for 2-3 days were 100-110 i on the other hand started with 50 spent 8 hours a day taming stuff for 3 months was at 53.8 couldnt raise any more, SOOOOOOOO I went and got a skillball 7x myself and Then i rose faster at 100 then i did at 50 -sigh- now im 104.0 doesnt seem to raise even with the faction trick :(
and im not spending 8 hours a day again cuz school started and i dont have time for it so im not gonna have the fire steed :(

DROGADICTO

Sorceror

You gotta train taming as the first skill, otherwise its a pain in the ass.

I trained another tamer few months ago, from 50-115 it took me less than 15 hours total believe it or not.

jrhather

Wanderer

weed420;331327 said:
I'm finding it nearly impossible to find even cheap +5 jewels.. i spent a few hours vendor surfing a while ago and never even saw anything with the word "animal taming". i would love to use one though.. i just tamed a nightmare with 97.9 taming.. i wasn't able to do it a second time so i dont know how lucky i got..=\

obviously you don't surf enough.
i had a ton of taming jewels on a gated vendor at the TBL mall.
they weren't selling so i tossed em.

Ulizeus

Sorceror

jrhather;331920 said:
obviously you don't surf enough.
i had a ton of taming jewels on a gated vendor at the TBL mall.
they weren't selling so i tossed em.

I have a lot too, from 1 to 11 taming, even my favourite 9 tame 8 vet :D
well, was couse now im 110 vet and 110 lore base hehehe

Alt-click to follow is a great tip, but I seem to be in the group of people who tame for hours on end and get .1 per hour...if that.

Is there something I am missing here?
This is a brand new character from a brand new account
Started with taming 50, vet 49, tailoring 1. Animal Lore has grown to 29 at present. 25 STR, 10 Dex, 48 INT currently. I try to stay full if I can.
After an hour or 2 of walruses and Polar Bears, I am at 51.3.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated,

talshar

Wanderer

weinster666;351980 said:
Alt-click to follow is a great tip, but I seem to be in the group of people who tame for hours on end and get .1 per hour...if that.

Is there something I am missing here?
This is a brand new character from a brand new account
Started with taming 50, vet 49, tailoring 1. Animal Lore has grown to 29 at present. 25 STR, 10 Dex, 48 INT currently. I try to stay full if I can.
After an hour or 2 of walruses and Polar Bears, I am at 51.3.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated,

After two hours of taming llamas, grizzlies, and great harts I had a gain of 2.0. It's possible that the one's you are trying are tameable but on the extreme end of your skill. If you don't gain after 4-5 times trying and the animal isn't tame yet move on to something else. When I was in my 50's I had the best gains with animals in Minoc (Fel). Oh, and I don't think you really need to worry about "stay[ing] full". I haven't found that eating in game helps anything.

Yellek;352145 said:
If you don't gain after 4-5 times trying and the animal isn't tame yet move on to something else.

Are you suggesting one particular animal (such as polar bear A) might be the issue or the entire species of animal (all polar bears)?

talshar

Wanderer

weinster666;352688 said:
Are you suggesting one particular animal (such as polar bear A) might be the issue or the entire species of animal (all polar bears)?
I'm suggesting that trying to tame polar bears as a species right now may be too soon. Try someting easier like from the list I gave earlier.
Oh and by the way, I didn't mean Minoc (Fel), I meant Minoc (Tram) not that it really makes a difference except that Tram would be safer.

talshar

Wanderer

Was out taming and trying to figure out why some animals were easier to tame than others and I discovered it has to do with their Intelligence + Barding Difficulty (I + BD) and the tamers skill level. The closer the I+BD was to my skill lvl the easier it was to tame the creature.
If the I+BD was greater than my skill the more times it took to tame; conversely, if the I+BD was less than my skill the fewer times it took.
I don't have access to Ice Island to Lore a polar bear so I can't verify with that species.
Can someone Lore a polar bear and let me know the I+BD?
Edit: Found the info I needed from Stratics and it confirmed my findings. To get any decent gains in taming Polar Bears you need to have somewhere around 70-75 skill lvl even though it is possible to tame one with a minimum skill of 35.1.
These are my findings on an experiment I conducted today. When I stayed within ~10% of my skill lvl I had great gains (again 2.0 in about 2 hours) if I tried to tame too much above that I could tame the creature but didn't enjoy any skill gain. If this contradicts the taming formula then my bad.

ya ive 120 taming 3 times from 50 and everytime it took less then 20 hours. Using jewerly makes it much quicker and also working that skill first makes it a lot quicker.

the best way to raise taming is re-taming pre-tamed animals for better gains according to your skill..many experienced tamers have said that before..north of moonglow seems a good place to do that
also, follow the guide that was posted on this section..it's one of the best guides I've seen
Gave up raising taming after I was able to bond my rus
But it can go to 110 with jewels, though not be able to bond the really nice looking fire steeds!