UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

3 new donation mounts.

Paul-hybrid

Wanderer
Re: 3 new donation mounts.

Countessa said:
Take a look at veteran rewards for an example of market flooding. Everyone can get one, the shard is filled with them, they are worth nothing. If they were a donation item there would be no need to donate for them. You could pick one up off the ground at the bank.
High costs make them wanted. It increases game play as players work to obtain gold to buy from those that donate.

With no offense meant, I am going to use your words and say that, "You are wrong." I specifically said items on the donation store should be available only on the donation store. Even at an inexpensive price they would still retain in game rarity. Promoting an out of game value for any in game reason is one of the biggest reasons that the Trammelizing of UO began, and the reason why most games designed today are so completely carebear. Because the designers make the games allowing for a real world value. Which is completely detrimental for the game, the game environment, and for the masses of players who grab for those items. I contend that the items available on the donation shard should be fun, interesting items. You contend that they should be valuable. I contend that this is a video game, and that the items in it should be common enough to have almost no real world value other than being aesthetically pleasing.

Stoobs said:
Exactly, its also a gold sink. Adding higher priced items helps the server out a lot more. I mean how much does Hybrid cost a month anyways?

It is not a gold sink. Not even remotely. You do not understand the purpose of a goldsink if you believe that it is. This merely moves gold from point a to point b. A goldsink removes gold from the game.

Stoobs

Wanderer

I know what a gold sink is ;). People with tons of money can afford to buy a donation steed in game. The person donating might not be rich in game. If transferring money from someone sitting on it with nothing to buy to someone who will most likely spend it on custom housing, npc, skills etc. etc. isn't a gold sink I don't know what is.

Countessa

Knight

Paul-hybrid said:
I specifically said items on the donation store should be available only on the donation store. Even at an inexpensive price they would still retain in game rarity.
That is incorrect. If they were set an inexpensive price the market would be flooded with them by every donator with a vendor/banksitter.

Promoting an out of game value for any in game reason is one of the biggest reasons that the Trammelizing of UO began, and the reason why most games designed today are so completely carebear. Because the designers make the games allowing for a real world value. Which is completely detrimental for the game, the game environment, and for the masses of players who grab for those items. I contend that the items available on the donation shard should be fun, interesting items. You contend that they should be valuable. I contend that this is a video game, and that the items in it should be common enough to have almost no real world value other than being aesthetically pleasing.
You mistake my word of value to mean irl. I refer strictly to in the game value and play. The value comes from them only available through donations. The higher price only increases the gold value, not the 'rarity' of the item or the appeal factor.
You can say what you want about trammelizing and carebear but there has always been an aspect of UO that centered around items. Trammel ones for the carebears, house items for decorators and dabblers, weapons and armor etc for pvp players, etc. UO did not do that nor did donations, people did that. If they hadn't we'd all run around with newbed weps in a grey robe with nothing in our banks and no house to speak of.
I do agree that items like skill/stats changers, gold, bonding deeds, etc should not be part of donations, however on a shard of this size, with the costs it has, those items probably bring in a large percentage of the funds going to pay for the shard.

It is not a gold sink. Not even remotely. You do not understand the purpose of a goldsink if you believe that it is. This merely moves gold from point a to point b. A goldsink removes gold from the game.

He refers to a gold transfer which can have a similar effect of the gold sink by moving gold to those who will use it.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member

There's much less gold on the shard than you might imagine.

Paul-hybrid

Wanderer

Countessa said:
That is incorrect. If they were set an inexpensive price the market would be flooded with them by every donator with a vendor/banksitter.

You mistake my word of value to mean irl. I refer strictly to in the game value and play. The value comes from them only available through donations. The higher price only increases the gold value, not the 'rarity' of the item or the appeal factor.
You can say what you want about trammelizing and carebear but there has always been an aspect of UO that centered around items. Trammel ones for the carebears, house items for decorators and dabblers, weapons and armor etc for pvp players, etc. UO did not do that nor did donations, people did that. If they hadn't we'd all run around with newbed weps in a grey robe with nothing in our banks and no house to speak of.
I do agree that items like skill/stats changers, gold, bonding deeds, etc should not be part of donations, however on a shard of this size, with the costs it has, those items probably bring in a large percentage of the funds going to pay for the shard.

Your point 1 about them being flooded by donators, my answer is who cares? If they are cool and useful, people will want them anyway. The shard is flooded with wooden chests, but everyone still wants enough of them to put in their houses. If the item is fun and useful it will be popular despite flooding.

Secondly, you keep talking about value, in game or otherwise. Who cares if a donation item is worth 5 million gold in game? You seem to think that it is a good thing for people to buy these items and resell them for in game gold. Well, I disagree if that was the point of the items then they should just sell gold and no items rather than having a third party reseller. I on the other hand think that the items should be fun and common. At an inexpensive price I would be far more likely to make impulse donations and buy a small amount of gold, or an ethereal mount that I thought was amusing.

You keep going back to the in game value to dollar amount ratio, my point is that if the donations cost less they would get far more of them in the long run. The shard may sell a few of the new mounts during the next few days for that price, but after a few days the initial awe factor will be gone and no one will be buying them anymore. If they were $3.00 each, then new players would be inclined to make donations so they could have a mount sooner. Personally I don't care if my mounts are worth a few million gold in game, I would prefer to have a common mount and the shard to have enough money to do new research, continue running and constantly upgrade the hardware.

aSydiK

Sorceror

Who's to say they aren't receiving enough money for one? And secondly, if they really were needing the money, I would assume that they'd lower the prices eventually due to the fact that they need it... that's just common sense. Right now, it seems to me that the rarity of the items are more important to the shard devs.

Sorry Terron, I was mid post when you posted that.

Countessa

Knight

Paul-hybrid said:
Your point 1 about them being flooded by donators, my answer is who cares? If they are cool and useful, people will want them anyway. The shard is flooded with wooden chests, but everyone still wants enough of them to put in their houses. If the item is fun and useful it will be popular despite flooding.

Your example is not a good one. You are trying to compare standard UO common items with something new, 'cool and useful' as you put it. Making things easy to get is what causes carebear land. Things should be hard to get, including donation items, if you are not a donator. Flooding the market would have an impact. Through all your arguements I am reading: It should be cheaper and easier to get so I can have some too.

Secondly, you keep talking about value, in game or otherwise. Who cares if a donation item is worth 5 million gold in game? You seem to think that it is a good thing for people to buy these items and resell them for in game gold. Well, I disagree if that was the point of the items then they should just sell gold and no items rather than having a third party reseller. I on the other hand think that the items should be fun and common. At an inexpensive price I would be far more likely to make impulse donations and buy a small amount of gold, or an ethereal mount that I thought was amusing.

You keep going back to the in game value to dollar amount ratio, my point is that if the donations cost less they would get far more of them in the long run. The shard may sell a few of the new mounts during the next few days for that price, but after a few days the initial awe factor will be gone and no one will be buying them anymore. If they were $3.00 each, then new players would be inclined to make donations so they could have a mount sooner. Personally I don't care if my mounts are worth a few million gold in game, I would prefer to have a common mount and the shard to have enough money to do new research, continue running and constantly upgrade the hardware.

New players are going to donate for skills, stats and gold, not new items.
People either donate or they do not. There will be a small percentage that would donate occasionally for fun items but I do not agree that lowering the cost would increase the donation players by any substantial amount. Either they have already decided to break out some of their hard earned cash, or it's going to stay in their pockets.

edit: Sorry Terron.

On topic, who wants to buy me an ethy wolf? /edit

Paul-hybrid

Wanderer

Countessa said:
Through all your arguements I am reading: It should be cheaper and easier to get so I can have some too.

This is my last chime in on this subject. This is completely inaccurate. I am a 31 year old man with a good job and plenty of disposable income. I can afford to buy myself anything that is currently on the donation store if I wanted it. I don't care honestly, I have donated only for a skill ball to create my mule character because I didn't want to be bothered with getting the resources. I don't know that I will donate again, because I don't really need anything else off of there right now. I do however believe that more people would be likely to contribute if the things were less. I personally am not buying a wolf, or a chimera no matter what the price is. I know I am fairly new here, but I have posted quite a few things, and anyone who has read the things that I have posted would easily be able to tell that I have no interest in rare items.

Cebrious Arcane

Forum Murderer

Paul-hybrid said:
This is my last chime in on this subject. This is completely inaccurate. I am a 31 year old man with a good job and plenty of disposable income. I can afford to buy myself anything that is currently on the donation store if I wanted it. I don't care honestly, I have donated only for a skill ball to create my mule character because I didn't want to be bothered with getting the resources. I don't know that I will donate again, because I don't really need anything else off of there right now. I do however believe that more people would be likely to contribute if the things were less. I personally am not buying a wolf, or a chimera no matter what the price is. I know I am fairly new here, but I have posted quite a few things, and anyone who has read the things that I have posted would easily be able to tell that I have no interest in rare items.
Donations are a gift from the players to the shard. As a return, they offer items to thank the player for his/her donation.

The greater the donation, the greater the reward. The items that are "more expensive" are there to compensate the players that choose to donate more money to the server. It's all pixels anyway.

If you don't want to support the free shard you enjoy, and the persons that created and maintain it for you, don't donate.

But if you do want to support the shard, you should, regardless of the pixel crack they offer in return.

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned

Ferrari could sell alot more cars if they retailed for $30,000.

Valentino

Sorceror

Addicted said:
I'm so glad I didnt' buy that ethy polar bear for 10mil or whatever it was selling for.

I'm so glad I sold mine for 19 mill when I won that 2v2 with French. lawlz, suckers.

Paul-hybrid

Wanderer

Rambone said:
Ferrari could sell alot more cars if they retailed for $30,000.

Yeah they probably could. Of course unlike digital pixels, it costs far more than $30,000 to make a Ferrari. Tard.

Watabou

Knight

the rarer the item is, the more it costs in-game gold and irl money
if polar bear ethys flooded the server and were dirt cheap, who would donate $50 or pay millions of ingame gold for them?

people like to have rare/unique items

Rambone

You've been ramb0ned

Paul-hybrid said:
Yeah they probably could. Of course unlike digital pixels, it costs far more than $30,000 to make a Ferrari. Tard.

You're forgetting -- You're DONATING to the shard and getting something in return. You're not straight up BUYING items.

They provide an awesome free service, and if you're feeling charitable you can donate 20, 50, or even 100 dollars and in return get to choose a gift of your choice. If you're not feeling charitable, just shut the fuck up and play.