UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

(Why) Does archery suck in pvp?

Raf

Wanderer
Re: (Why) Does archery suck in pvp?

No matter how much dex you have you cant interupt people their gheals... I got a red archer. I only use him when Im rolling with like 5 more reds.

I bet if you mix it up with alchy or magery you can make a solo pvp archer, but only archery is just to slow and doesnt cut it

Steve Zissou

Sorceror

yeah, they recently increased the speed of bows, but it still doesnt really cut it for fighting.

Slip

Page

alchy plus archery (using a bow that does alot of damage). you throw a pot at someone and when it hits them you shoot your bow. this does lots of damage

Rx For Pain

Wanderer

JesseJane;1466561 said:
i just find that archery is obsolete without insta hit.

Right, just have them insta hit and id probably use im full time.

Magery
Resist
Archery
Tactics
Eval Int
Med
Anatomy

Green Jelly

Wanderer

JesseJane;1466561 said:
i just find that archery is obsolete without insta hit.
Just think you should be able to pre load a heavey x bow or a regular x bow.

tonyd

Wanderer

why not just include riding shot... to make up for 1. not being able to drink pots with a bow. 2. not casting spells with a bow. 3. no being able to cast magic arrow on the move with a bow. 4. needing light armor to shoot once every 3.5 secs. 5. not having any special attacks. 6. im sure theres a 6.

archery is junk UO is dead no thought goes into this game its just a cash farm

tbkiah

Wanderer

problem with bringing insta-hit in for bows is that everyone would immediatly turn to archer mages...

Now, maybe what they could do is make the first shot like 1 second delay... and then after that it would take say 3 seconds to fire a shot..

hoglegs

Sorceror

All builds are worthless unless theres someone with some amount of skill playing them.

WarioLOL

Wanderer

i got owned by a alchy archer once, it was 2v1 and i was healing and had no red pots, ran outta stam and he owned teh shit outta me

The Stitch

Wanderer

Warioo;1666719 said:
i got owned by a alchy archer once, it was 2v1 and i was healing and had no red pots, ran outta stam and he owned teh shit outta me

Summon food ftw?

On topic: I have an Archer Tank mage, he is pretty useful in groups but is pretty terrible 1v1. Have a nightmare just getting through RA a lot of the time.

Personally I think archery is exactly how it should be. Think about movies such as "braveheart" and other films that take place in that time era. When ever you see archers they are in masses. They shoot at the same time to "blanket" an area with arrows. If nothing is protecting the archer lines mounted infantry will always charge straight through them in an instant.

However if you have 3 or 4 archers standing in one location and someone attempts to "take" that location from them, likely the archers will tear that person down before they know what hit them. Archers are ment to be group fighters.

I remember many years ago on OSI during the patch 16 era when orcs used to roleplay the orc forts. You would have a fort with 30 players inside, all with fencing and archery. Just getting on the same screen as the fort was a very lethal proposition. They would stand on top of each other (like 5 to 10 archers) and the second someone came within range attack the same target. Even if only half the arrows landed, it was usually enough to drop a person before they had a chance to react.

Too many people these days try to "powergame" and accomplish every goal with one character. This is a multi player game, and some task require multiple players to accomplish, this includes some styles of PvP.

Stides40oz

Knight

vermillion2083;1667722 said:
Personally I think archery is exactly how it should be. Think about movies such as "braveheart" and other films that take place in that time era. When ever you see archers they are in masses. They shoot at the same time to "blanket" an area with arrows. If nothing is protecting the archer lines mounted infantry will always charge straight through them in an instant.

However if you have 3 or 4 archers standing in one location and someone attempts to "take" that location from them, likely the archers will tear that person down before they know what hit them. Archers are ment to be group fighters.

I remember many years ago on OSI during the patch 16 era when orcs used to roleplay the orc forts. You would have a fort with 30 players inside, all with fencing and archery. Just getting on the same screen as the fort was a very lethal proposition. They would stand on top of each other (like 5 to 10 archers) and the second someone came within range attack the same target. Even if only half the arrows landed, it was usually enough to drop a person before they had a chance to react.

Too many people these days try to "powergame" and accomplish every goal with one character. This is a multi player game, and some task require multiple players to accomplish, this includes some styles of PvP.

good points

zagar2323

Wanderer

this isnt brave heart or a tactical stratagy game.. i didint play uo for rts styles of play

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

If archery had insta-hit, I'd change up my swords tank for an archer tank in an instant and never quit this shard, as that'd basically be t2a style.

I'd say it would be overpowered when combined with poison blocking heals, but really, it would only be on par with alchemy and would take more skill points than alchemy to use. It would also have a chance to miss, or be parried, and reduced by armor, or reactive armor. So really it still wouldn't be as good as alchemy.

Hell, I'm all for it.

starwolfe

Wanderer

i like Hybrid how it is. Archery is fine.

i do sometimes play a Necro/Archer on DFI though. . . thats pretty fun, good nox, spell channeling compound bow. . . and the necro spells = owned.