UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

why do people say KK instead of Mill?

wesmiley

Sorceror
why do people say KK instead of Mill?

is there really a difference? or do they say it just to shorten up million.?

Dilly

Knight
Re: why do people say KK instead of Mill?

Kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

hugoboss

Sorceror

at one point in time, l33t speek numbers used D, C, V, I, X, M.. etc

so i guess they decided it'll be uber to just shorten it all to 'k'... more efficient.. you want more? just add in another 'k'... haha

Facko

Sorceror

lets call it math slang :p

would a billion be kkk?

The real reason is due to the large Chinese player base on the shard. In Asian languages, (not just Chinese; I've witnessed this among Japanese and I think Koreans as well) I noticed that if they are not familiar with a number, they simply repeat smaller versions to equate it.

As a result, a number of Chinese players here, unfamiliar enough with the SI scaling method, didn't know that "M" is the proper suffix to denote a million, and instead took what they knew, "k" for "thousand" and simply stacked it.

Facko

Sorceror

you've said that before but more than one person has said they've seen in it other shards/games. then the whole thing turned into a huge nerdy flamefest.

Digatalas

Knight

I would lay $100 down on them being North American, Asian, or South American.

Europeans are the only intelligent bunch on the shard as far as units and language.

Facko;661120 said:
you've said that before but more than one person has said they've seen in it other shards/games.
This is because around 60-70% (or more) of the world's MMO players happen to be Asian. Chinese people make up, for instance, over half of WoW's subscription numbers, and similarly, the high numbers for Lineage/Lineage 2/Aion were all due to their huge Korean playerbase... In fact, I think virtually every MMO with over 1 million players has a minimum of 40% of their players from Asia.

The particular part that hints at this is that this sort of thing is largely un-heard-of on UO shards with only a negligible Asian player count. Meanwhile, I'd estimate 20-35% of the players on Demise hail from Asia. And similarly, I recall most of the "other games" being mentioned focused heavily on the Lineage games, where something like 70-80% of the players are Koreans.

hugoboss

Sorceror

well... most ancient civilisations did not have the concept of the number '0' - mathematicians will verify the importance of such an academic discovery - indeed, to various degrees, numbers and language were assigned their individual, unique and specific designations, ideograms, pictoral representation etc in early forms of inter-human communication, be it written or spoken..

- i believe the early south american civilisations and the egyptians used specific pictures to denote words
- the latin / roman system of numbering was fairly cumbersone.. D, C, M etc
- Ntk is correct in that in the chinese language shares similar features in the abovementioned latin system of numbering, whereby 1,000s are stacked
(not sure about korean or japanese tho)

\history channel update

Facko

Sorceror

@ ntk

be as ignorant as you want. its just slang anyways. and i thought my kkk comment was bad. :p

Ignorant of what? You actually believe most MMO players are Americans? Or you believe that a majority of WoW's subscription numbers are NOT Asians? (hint: they are) I'm simply explaining the reason and who started using it first.

Digatalas

Knight

Dollpartz;661145 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

After planning to major in some type of science field and getting in depth into my science classes... We INSTANTLY receive ZERO credit for a problem if we use any American derived unit... Fahrenheit for example... Must be converted to Celsius then to Kelvin.

You have to admit that having 212 degrees for a boiling is a bit retarded considering 32? is the freezing point. 0 - 100 is easiest to me. 0, frozen 100, gas. EASY. ;)

MB

Knight

Yeah, cause water at atmospheric are the only temperatures you need.