UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Weapon selection/Healing training

scouselfclad

Traveler
So I have my first alchy dexer char well on his way to GM. So far I have;
Alchy 100
Anat 0
Healing 80
WEAPON? 0
Magery 100
Resist 100
Tactics 0

I want all 7 stats to be 100.

I have 2 questions.

Firstly, what weapon would be best? I have played with a mace before and found it really good, crushing blow is a killer. Is there a better weapon to use or is it just preference?

Secondly, I have my healing to 80 and don't seem to be gaining much more through healing myself. Should I train my anatomy up to 80 so I can use resurrect to train? If so should I wait until my tactics and weapon are a 100 before I train my anatomy/healing?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

WarEagle

Page
You can actually sit there with 0 anat and fail on resurrecting and still gain. I'd keep anat locked until your last skill.

Maces are best against dexxers but not so much against mages. The slow swing timer of the war hammer makes it difficult to keep a mage interrupted since they can gheal between swings. If you're facing a runner, the high upper end of the damage range for a crushing blow warhammer is nice because they're really in a predicament (run and get potted or stop and get smashed).

Fencing is pretty sweet for mages, but you need higher end spears to do sufficient damage to anyone with decent armor. Being able to poison your weapons is pretty great, too. And para blows are nice.

Swords offer a decent balance and the concussion blow (1/2 intelligence....I assume you meant crushing blow when talking about the maces in your post). The Hally has a really low cellar on its damage range though, so sometimes you're going to get crappy hits.

scouselfclad

Traveler
Thanks, I didn't know I could attempt resurrect with no anatomy.
Yea, I meant crushing blow not concussion. I'll go with Swords due to the faster speed.
You mentioned the Hally having a low cellar but I checked on the UOGuide and it says the damage is 18-19. Is that wrong information?

SonnyBoy

Traveler
Train healing first with anat locked (that will go up later with weapon skill, I like to hit my spar partner while healing him and using anat on him at same time) , preferably on a ghost, since those give better gains.

And for the weapon skill... Well, pretty much every skill is good, each has its own pro's and con's. I had most kills with maces, since they slow the enemy down, and when they run out of ref pots, they're dead. Only, and greatest, problem with dexers is the ping, from failing to disarm wep-drink cure/heal-put wep back to having reliable but way too long object delay, and this is where every second counts (and costs you your life mostly). You can get around with alchy, so you can pummel them with pots, but if you want to hit em with weps (talking about mages here), you'll need some formidable ping, because it's hard to hit someone if he runs like hell, changes positions, and when you're finally able to get near him, his char looks like it but in fact, he's not there..

scouselfclad

Traveler
I've got my char resurrecting someone and kept anatomy locked. Should be 100 soon. :)

What is good ping? My ping is around 50, is that bad?

WarEagle

Page
I may be mistaken on the Hally thing...I really do seem to (mis?)remember some pretty awful hally hits.

50 is a pretty solid ping, imo. Not omgelite, but its definitely not going to be an issue for you.

To talk about Sonny's point, if you get a mage that is running away from you, Macing is awesome. Its the ones that stand there, knowing that you're not going to interrupt them, that are difficult. Swing timer on a Hammer is what, 3.0 seconds at 100 dex? That averages to you hitting them once every 6 seconds. Macing rocks if you get lucky with two big consecutive hits though.

scouselfclad

Traveler
I may be mistaken on the Hally thing...I really do seem to (mis?)remember some pretty awful hally hits.

According to the uoguide, concussion blow does damage based on the difference between an opponent's mana and hit points.
Maybe sometimes the concussion blow seemed weak because the opponent had 100 str and 100 mana?

WarEagle

Page
that's the post AOS explanation where the move works differently.

im not 100% positive, but id be willing to bet that the special move rolls and damage rolls are separate things here.

scouselfclad

Traveler
Ahh i see, thanks for the info.
Healing at 100 now so ready for weapon training. I'll go for swords due to the quicker hit rate.

Ahh i see, thanks for the info.
Healing at 100 now so ready for weapon training. I'll go for swords due to the quicker hit rate.
You will also find it a lot easier to buy/farm swords weapons. And 50 ping is nice but expect to spike up to 300~3,000 every minute or two. Server is quite whack in comparison to how it once was.

SonnyBoy

Traveler
F**k me, I would be invincible with ping 50.. my average is 300, and still, I'm able to kill with pure dexer, tho magery with gheal sure helps :) If you want to be a bad boy, write {bandage} in razor's display/counters. You'll see how long your bandie takes to kick in, and it will allow you to kick cures in a sec before you heal up fully (that's what makes dexers look indestructible sometimes, dex vs mage is really all about surviving guy's mana dump, then beating living sh*t out of them)

crikey

Sorceror
I would make your first alchy dexxer, a swordsman! Only because, you appear to be new around here, and sword weapons are easy/cheap to find. Fencing/mace weapons....not so much. When you decide to join factions, I would go with a fencer or a macer, when you can have some Blessed weapons made. You will need gold, silver, and a trusted guild for this. It might take you awhile, especially if you suck like me

scouselfclad

Traveler
F**k me, I would be invincible with ping 50.. my average is 300, and still, I'm able to kill with pure dexer, tho magery with gheal sure helps :) If you want to be a bad boy, write {bandage} in razor's display/counters. You'll see how long your bandie takes to kick in, and it will allow you to kick cures in a sec before you heal up fully (that's what makes dexers look indestructible sometimes, dex vs mage is really all about surviving guy's mana dump, then beating living sh*t out of them)

Thanks I didn't know about the bandage timer display. But i'm already a bad boy anyway. :)

I would make your first alchy dexxer, a swordsman! Only because, you appear to be new around here, and sword weapons are easy/cheap to find. Fencing/mace weapons....not so much. When you decide to join factions, I would go with a fencer or a macer, when you can have some Blessed weapons made. You will need gold, silver, and a trusted guild for this. It might take you awhile, especially if you suck like me

Crikey I think I seen you around Delucia a few times when you was blue . Then I seen you again when I was going around marking runes. You was red by then and you killed me. :) I think it was you, not 100% sure.

scouselfclad

Traveler
I have a couple more newbie questions, thought I'd ask here rather than making a new thread.
My skills are GM Alchy, Anat, Healing, Magery, Resist, Sword, Tactics.
What stats would be best for my character? I have str 100, dex 100, mana 25. Should i lower the dex to 80 maybe and go to 45 mana?
What would be the best armour for me to wear? Should I wear leather so my dex doesn't get lowered?
Can wands be recharged in hybrid?
How do I put my explosion pots in one pile/stack? Each Explo pot I have is taking a slot in my bank. Is this a glitch or is it not possible to pile explo pots?

WarEagle

Page
Not 100/100/25...Mindblast will mess you up. 100/85(80)/40(45) or 90/90/45 are popular depending on your desires.
Leather is good for the reason you listed. Some use ringmail and various pieces to achieve much high armor ratings without significant dex loss.
You can't recharge them
You can't pile them. Get kegs to store them.

scouselfclad

Traveler
Not 100/100/25...Mindblast will mess you up. 100/85(80)/40(45) or 90/90/45 are popular depending on your desires.
Leather is good for the reason you listed. Some use ringmail and various pieces to achieve much high armor ratings without significant dex loss.
You can't recharge them
You can't pile them. Get kegs to store them.

WarEagle to the rescue again. Thanks :)
If i was to go with 90/90/45 and used greater agil/str before a fight would mind blast be calculated as if I still had 90 strength?
Can kegs be bought from npc vendors or can they only be crafted? I checked an npc tinker but couldn't see any empty kegs to buy.
Newbie questions I know but finding hybrid specific info on certain things seems difficult.

WarEagle

Page
Definitely recommend strength at 100 myself, just throwing out variants that I've seen throughout the forums.

WarEagle to the rescue again. Thanks :)
If i was to go with 90/90/45 and used greater agil/str before a fight would mind blast be calculated as if I still had 90 strength?
Can kegs be bought from npc vendors or can they only be crafted? I checked an npc tinker but couldn't see any empty kegs to buy.
Newbie questions I know but finding hybrid specific info on certain things seems difficult.

-Not sure. I want to say no, but I've never tested the difference. The knowledgebase recommends that you balance your stats via potions (http://www.uogamers.com/knowledge/questions/192/), so that supports the idea that its post-pot stats.
-Only crafted. You can find them pretty cheap in a lot of places.

scouselfclad

Traveler
Cheers guys. I will stick to 100 strength. 100/80/45 seems like a nice balance.

-Only crafted. You can find them pretty cheap in a lot of places.

I'll have a look around for a decent vendor to buy 'em thanks.

Couple more questions (sorry).
Can clothing bless deeds only be bought from the donation store?
Would it be worth buying the 1 million gold from the donation store?
I want to buy the 1 million to donate anyway but don't want to buy it if it's a waste of money.

KingTeddy

Traveler
cbds can be bought from players. imo paying $25 for gold is for fools when you can get a 7x skill ball for $20 and sell it for at least a mil.