UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Totally lost

ControlKill

Wanderer
Totally lost

I just start this game and I have no idea what to do, I stood in town for a few minutes then I ran outside and found some houses. I then logged off because I have no clue what I'm doing, could someone direct me to a guide or give me some tips for someone who has never played the game?

zlatan fulgere

Sorceror
Re: Totally lost

ControlKill;1709344 said:
I just start this game and I have no idea what to do, I stood in town for a few minutes then I ran outside and found some houses. I then logged off because I have no clue what I'm doing, could someone direct me to a guide or give me some tips for someone who has never played the game?

The Guides section has quite a few things you might find helpful. As far as 'what to do', what do you want to do?

ControlKill

Wanderer

Vastar;1709351 said:
The Guides section has quite a few things you might find helpful. As far as 'what to do', what do you want to do?

I don't know what I want to do because I've never played the game, also Ajax the link doesn't work.

Nicklush

Wanderer

In terms of what should you do, you can do anything you want really. Most people prefer to PvP (Player vs. Player), this is probably the most exciting. I would suggest taking up a trade skill first as most characters require a decent amount of gold. http://www.uogamers.com/forum/miscellaneous/159993-methods-making-gold.html#post1701848
There's a solid guide to start you out, PM me if you have any questions. I'll try my best to answer them. My suggestion would be to read these forums, explore the game and ask questions, Ignore the losers ingame, and don't give up if you get ruthlessly murdered. Also if you get killed, show your ghost with war mode and chances are they will res you.

Countessa

Knight

As mentioned, UO is a medieval world where you can be what you want to be and do what you want to do. You can become a tradesmen, a hunter, a tamer, a fisher, a thief, a killer, combinations of any of them and more. There are 16 cities plus two more designed for roleplay. There are over 10 dungeons and many more hunting areas. The game has about 60 skills you can master, and combine for different results.

It would take volumes to explain it all and the best way to learn is to play. Ask questions as they arise because at this point you probably don't even know what to ask.

The link Nicklush provided would be a good way to begin.
These two links will also help you out, giving you an overview.

A Guide for New Players: UO 101
A Comprehensive Guide to Skills and Skill Gain

You can join mirc to chat with other players on Hybrid.

The pages linked in my signature can provide you with more information.

Ultima Online is a fantastic game and you've discovered the best server to play, but keep in mind Hybrid is a tough server for a game with a steep learning curve. Don't get discouraged, it's worth the trials.

Welcome to Hybrid

Suriv

Sorceror

Wait, so you managed to find houses outside of town and not get PK'd? You're already leaps and bounds ahead of me when I first started on Hybrid.

ControlKill

Wanderer

Thanks for all the links, I'll be sure to read them throughly.

I logged back on and I was a ghost (I assume I got Pk'ed some how) how do I resurrect myself?

GreatSquid

Sorceror

Go to an npc healer. If you are in Britain there is one right next to the inn where you first started.

Pand0ra

Sorceror

you can ressurect yourself with a NPC healer.
You can find wandering healers spread out over the world.
There are healers in towns (look for a gold ankh on a shop sign and walk in)
Activate your war mode (in your paperdoll click on the word peace, to that it says war).
When in war mode other players can see your ghost, perhaps some passerby will res you.
Good luck :)

ControlKill

Wanderer

Ok I started a new character, how do I get to other towns? I want to mine but I don't know how to get to other towns.
Also how do you trade NPCs?

Sprint-

Wanderer

The easiest way to get to other towns would be to use moongates, which are located out of the town guardlines of almost every town. The one in Britain is south from the town, along the road.

The best town to mine would probably be Minoc, where there are caves and forges together, but there will be PK's so you have to be careful.

To trade an NPC, single click him, and go to sell/buy.

aveman223

Wanderer

go to the healer in brit u should be able to find it and i would make a lumber jack to start with just to get a feel for the game here is my template

start off with 50 healing 49 swordsmanship and 1 lumberjack the rest of ur skills should be anatomy resist and anything u can think of but those are the things u should need for sure oh and u can only have 7 gm skills

next go with ur 1k and put everything in the bank except ur weapon and bandaides then equip ur weapon (and if u dont have razor get it it makes everything easier make a hotkey for bandaides target self) go east over the bridgeand on the path out of town to the north on the east side of town and go kill things watch out for gazers gargoyles trolls and ettins until gm swords and 50 lumber jack oh ya and if u dont start with an axe go get ur money once ur gm swords and buy a axe at the arms shop dont buy armor until gm healing(it gets levels up faster after u have a hang of the game go make a tailor and have ur lumber jack get hides and have ur tailor make armur and other useful things u can sell look in the guides on the home page and for more info

ControlKill

Wanderer

aveman223;1711303 said:
go to the healer in brit u should be able to find it and i would make a lumber jack to start with just to get a feel for the game here is my template

start off with 50 healing 49 swordsmanship and 1 lumberjack the rest of ur skills should be anatomy resist and anything u can think of but those are the things u should need for sure oh and u can only have 7 gm skills

next go with ur 1k and put everything in the bank except ur weapon and bandaides then equip ur weapon (and if u dont have razor get it it makes everything easier make a hotkey for bandaides target self) go east over the bridgeand on the path out of town to the north on the east side of town and go kill things watch out for gazers gargoyles trolls and ettins until gm swords and 50 lumber jack oh ya and if u dont start with an axe go get ur money once ur gm swords and buy a axe at the arms shop dont buy armor until gm healing(it gets levels up faster after u have a hang of the game go make a tailor and have ur lumber jack get hides and have ur tailor make armur and other useful things u can sell look in the guides on the home page and for more info

Why would a Lumberjack kill stuff? isn't he supposed to cut trees?

Countessa

Knight

The character is actually a swordsman with lumberjacking included as a skill. Lumberjacking gives the character expert knowledge of axes (in theory) so they are able to do more damage with an axe.

There are other skill combinations that will give bonus 'features'. If you character has healing, it can heal damage with bandages. If the character also has anatomy, you can actually bring someone back from the dead (resurrect them.). The same goes with animal skills. Veterinary will let you heal a pet with bandaids. Animal lore will allow the heal skill to resurrect a dead bonded pet. Tailoring will allow you to craft clothes. Tailoring and Carpentry both will let you create beds. The list goes on. There are many more skill combinations and bonus for specific skills. For this reason, some skill combinations (templates) have become used by many players. The guide to skill and skill gain should touch on most skills and combinations.

aveman223

Wanderer

ControlKill;1711453 said:
Why would a Lumberjack kill stuff? isn't he supposed to cut trees?

a lumberjack can cut trees but it also give him a weapons bonus at gm lumberjcking u get something like +20 or 30 damage while using an axe oh and in my template i for got tactics and anatomy