UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The Ultimate Guide To Skill Gain

The Ultimate Guide To Skill Gain

[size=+2]The Ultimate Guide To Skill Gain by Richard C Mongler[/size]​

Alchemy
Cost effective:
0 - 30 - Buy from alchemist (300GP)
30 - 35 - Strength (2 Root, 4GP)
35 - 55 - Greater Agility (3 Moss, 9GP)
55 - 75 - Greater Poison (4 Shade, 8GP) or Greater Heal (7 Ginseng, 14GP)
75 - GM - Greater Cure (6 Garlic, 12GP)

Fastest:
0 - 30 - Buy from alchemist (300GP)
30 - 35.1 - Strength
35.1 - 45.1 - Greater Agility (3 Moss, 9 GP)
45.1 - 55.1 - Greater Strength (5 Root, 10GP)
55.1 - 65.1 - Greater Poison (4 Shade, 8GP) or G Heal (7 Ginseng, 14GP)
65.1 - 90.1 - Greater Cure (6 Garlic, 12 GP)
90.1 - GM - Deadly Poison (8 Shade, 16 GP)

Anatomy, Animal Lore, Eval Int, Forensic Eval
Make a macro in razor do use it and then target somebody, with a 1000 ms (1 second) wait in between, and loop it.

Arms Lore, Item ID
Same as Anatomy, but target your newbie dagger or any other weapon instead.

Animal Taming
The trick is to fail as often as possible, so you don't have to tame as many animals. You can semi-unattended macro this by making a razor macro to tame your last target every 11 seconds, and turn following mode on.

30-35.1 - Horse, Ridable Llama, Forest/Desert Ostard
35.1 - 41.1 - Black/Polar Bear, Llama, Walrus
41.1 - 53.1 - Brown Bear, Cougar
53.1- 59.1 - Grey Wolf, Panther, Snow Leapord
59.1 - 71.1 - Great Hart, Grizzly Bear
65.1 - 71.1 - White Wolf
71.1 - 77.1 - Bull
77.1 - 83.1 - Giant Toad
83.1 - 93.9 - Ridgeback
93.9 - 95.1 - Swamp Dragon
95.1 - GM - Kirin or Unicorn (needs positive Karma)

Archery
See Combat Skills

Begging
Just target random NPCs with the skill. It's best to macro it by recording yourself in a high density area such as Minoc inn, begging each NPC. Once you succeed you can't beg from them for 5 minutes, so this gives the most diversity.

Blacksmith
29.1 - 49.5 Dagger (3 Ingots)
49.5 - 95.2 S Spear (6 Ingots)
95.3 - 106.3 P Gorg (10 Ingots)
106.3 - 108.8 P Glove (12 Ingots)
108.8 - 112.5 P Helm (15 Ingots)
112.5 - 116.2 P Arms (18 Ingots)
116.2 - 118.7 P Legs (20 Ingots)
118.7 - 120.0 P Tunic (25 Ingots)

Bowcraft/Fletching
30 - 60 - Bows
60 - 80 - Crossbow
80 - GM - Heavy Crossbow

Carpentry
Wooden Shields and Quarter/Gnarled Staves can be sold back for a small return on your cost, which is why you stick with them longer. Most of the other items you will just throw away.

30 - 31.5 - Dartboard (5 Boards)
31.5 - 42.1 - Wooden Box (10 Boards)
41.1 - 47.3 - Trinsic or Vesper Style Chair
47.3 - 72.2 - Ballot Box (5 Boards)
72.2 - 73.6 - Wooden Shield (9 Boards)
73.6 - 78.9 - Quarter Staff (6 Boards)
78.9 - 95 - Gnarled Staff (7 Boards)
95 - GM - Easel

Cartography
25 - 35 - City Maps
35 - 50 - Sea Maps
50 - 99.6 - World Maps
99.6 - GM - Decode Treasure Maps

Cooking
If you have a fisher, this is much easier. Just cook a bunch of fish steaks. If not buy a lot of sacks of flour, turn it into dough, and then turn those into loaves of bread.

Detect Hidden
Use skill, target ground, wait 1 second.

Fencing
See Combat Skills

Fishing
You've just got to fish a lot. Unattended resource macroing is illegal, so if you're planning on macroing fishing fill your pack with something very heavy (like leathers) so when you do succeed in pulling something up, it just disappears.

Healing
Kill an alt character and just keep trying to rez it. I suggest a macro to use the restock agent from your bank/house incase you get stolen from or town killed.

Hiding
Use skill, wait 11 seconds, repeat. I've heard, but never really tested, that you can better in crowded areas so do it somewhere like Brit Bank.

30 - 55 - Recall (8GP)
55 - 75 - Mark (8GP)
75 - GM - Gate (8GP)
Not necessarily the CHEAPEST at first, but if you can find somebody buying them you can turn a bigger profit than if you sold them back to the NPC like with the following strategy.

Fastest:
30 - 32.1 - Recall (8 GP)
32.1 - 46.4 - Reflect (6GP)
46.4 - 60.8 - Mark (8GP)
60.7 - 75 - Gate (8GP)
75 - GM - Summon Earth Ele (7GP)

Lockpicking
Tinker skill determines the success rate, so the best strategy would be to get locked crates made by carpenters with 50 tinkering skill (easily enough to get if you make a seperate character), a 75 tinker and a GM tinker. You should be able to gain without a box made by somebody with 75 tinkering, but it slows down a lot.

Make a macro to use your lockpick, check sysmessage to see if you succeeded and if you did to relock it, and repeat.

From 95 - GM you can only gain on treasure chests so you have to do Tmaps or the chests in Khaldun.

Lumberjacking
See Combat Skills

Mace Fighting
See Combat Skills

Magery
38.1 - 52.1 - Paralyze
52.1 - 66.1 - Reveal or Energy Bolt (if doing resist on other character)
66.1 - 80.1 - Flamestrike
80.1 - GM - Summon Earth Elemental

I recently did this on an Alchy Mage as my 3rd skill. It cost me about 4.5k to GM even though I didn't do it first. The trick is to fail as much as possible so you don't have to worry about meditation.

Meditation
Buy a magical wizard's hat from a mage shop and just make a macro to dress/undress it every 5 seconds.

Mining
Same thing as fishing, you can unattended it but fill your backpack up with useless crap first so you don't actually get anything. Barring that, it's pretty easy to gain, so just mine mine mine. When you get colored ore, split it into piles of 1 and smelt them individually.

Musicianship
If I'm doing peace also I just set it to up and make a macro to play it and do the peace skill every 11 seconds, so you gain twice as fast.

Parrying
You have a chance to gain every time you're hit, so it's important that your skill in the weapon you're holding is 0 and that your opponent is GM. See Combat Skills for more information on sparring.

Peacemaking
Peace yourself at a bank with an 11 second pause in between.

Poisoning
Use a fishsteak as the target since you don't have to worry about oil cloths, you can just repoison the same item over and over.

30-45 - Lesser poison
45-65 - Poison
65-90 - Greater poison
90-100: Deadly poison

Provocation
30 - 40 - Bulls
40 - 60 - Scorpions
60 - 95 - Beetles
95 - GM - Rotting Corpses

Trap them with boxes, tables, etc and just keep provoking them onto each other.

Resist
Flamestrike all the way. Some people swear by Mana Vamp, but it costs 8 GP per attempt versus 4 GP per attempt for flamestrike (5 if you count buying bandages).

Snooping
Last object macro on somebody's backpack with a 1 second delay.

Stealing
Get a pile of gold, scrolls, or something else that can be stolen in 1 stone quantities and just repeatedly steal it. Your macro should look something like "if weight > 30;organizer agent 1;end if; pause 1 sec;steal; pause 10sec"

Stealth
I just stealth in full plate from 0 - GM. Fastest way is to go to a moongate and macro going back and forth between two towns. This way even when you fail and become visible, you don't have to rehide because the moongate hides you.

Swordsmanship
See Combat Skills

Tactics
Not skill based; every time you hit the opponent you have a chance to gain. Best to do after a weapon skill, and then fight somebody with 0 skill so you hit more often. See Combat Skills for more info on sparring.

Tailoring
0 - 33 - Buy
33 - 49.7 - Short Pants (6 Cloth)
49.7 - 54 - Skirt (10 Cloth)
54 - 58 - Fancy Dress (12 Cloth)
58 - 66.3 - Cloak (14 Cloth)
66.3 - 74.6 - Robe (16 Cloth)
74.6 - 99.6 - Oil Cloth (1 Cloth)
99.6 - 103.7 - Studded Gorget (6 Hides)
103.7 - 107.8 - Studded Bustier (8 Hides)
107.8 - 112 - Studded Armor (10 Hides)
112 - 116 - Studded Legs (12 Hides)
116 - 119 - Studded Tunic (14 Hides)
119 - 120 - Bone Legs (10 Hides, 6 Bones)

You'll fail a lot, but considering most of the things you make won't be sellable it's better that way anyway.

Tinkering
30 - 35 - Scribe's Pen (1 ingot)
35 - 45 - Tongs (1 ingot)
45 - 94.9 - Lockpick (1 ingot)
94.9 - GM - Heating Stand/Spyglass (4 ingots)

Tracking
Macro at brit bank while selecting humans from the menu.

Veterinary
Find a bonded pet and just like healing, just repeatedly try to resurrect it.

Wrestling
See Combat Skills

[size=+1]Combat Skills (Sparring)[/size]
Combat skills are pretty easy to GM, all you need is two characters, a weapon and some bandages. Armor is a plus, but not necessary as is parrying and a shield. A full set of plate with gm parry and a shield will greatly reduce the damage you take, making you use many less bandages.

For equipment I recommend:
  • Archery: Bow and arrows
  • Fencing: Quarter staff or club
  • Lumberjacking: Hatchet
  • Macing: Club
  • Parry: Shield
  • Swords: Skinning knife, butcher's knife
  • Wrestling: Nothing
Put the character being attacked in plate (if you have it) and give it a razor macro to do "if hits < 50, bandage self, wait 15 seconds, end if" and loop it. Healing another character is quicker, but you shouldn't be doing much damage and this will conserve bandages. On the character attacking, go to your Arm/Dress tab and add one called "Weapon". Target the type you wish to use (you should have about 15-20, since they break often) and then right click it and select "Convert selected to TYPE". Then make a macro to do "if left hand empty, dress weapon, wait 2s, end if" and enable looping.

A tip: If you're not in the same guild and you attack the other, one of them will go gray. Your best bet is to attack (obviously outside of guards, but you should really be macroing this inside a house, anyway) the one training the weapon skill with the one being hit. After 2 mins both chars will be blue to others but can still hit each other for gains.

[size=-3]Note: sunfiregt's is out of date for some skills and just plain wrong for others, which is why I posted this. Compounding this is the fact that he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, so doesn't look like any updates are coming soon.[/size]

Re: The Ultimate Guide To Skill Gain

also on lockpicking u can join a faction and die to get stat and gm it that way off gm made boxes

Novofly

Wanderer

Lynyrd;1438704 said:
good thanks you

you can also use wands for macing ;\

Wands are no longer macing weapons.

Good work OP, although the bottom for combat skills is a little messed up like qstaff for fencing etc. Also shepard's crooks are best for macing.

Go_Ask_Alice;1438715 said:

Check the note at the bottom

Note: sunfiregt's is out of date for some skills and just plain wrong for others, which is why I posted this. Compounding this is the fact that he seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, so doesn't look like any updates are coming soon.

Lynyrd;1438704 said:
good thanks you

you can also use wands for macing ;\
Wands are no longer macing. You don't swing when you carry them (I found this out after wasting a night of macroing)

Novofly;1438737 said:
Wands are no longer macing weapons.

Good work OP, although the bottom for combat skills is a little messed up like qstaff for fencing etc. Also shepard's crooks are best for macing.

Yeah, I rearranged it to make it be in alphabetical order and seems like i cut/pasted something wrong.

MoxMcPox

Wanderer

Easiest way to gm parry is to attack wild animals that do shit damage and have two-three healers. As a 7th skill it only takes like 20 mins from 0-100.

Sir Kenga

Wanderer

Your "cost effective" prices are inaccurate. E.G.
35 - 55 - Greater Agility (3 Moss, 9GP) ------ BM costs 4gp per = 12gp

30 - 55 - Recall (8GP) ------- Scroll 4gp, BP 4gp, BM 4gp, MR 2gp = 14gp
75 - GM - Gate (8GP) ------ Scroll 4gp, BP 4gp, MR 2gp, SA 3gp = 13gp

etc

PS but in general good guide.

Realm Rox

Sorceror

im not 100% positive but imo
85?(i forgot)-95 alchemy u should do g poison
both cost effective and fast

Realm Rox;1438970 said:
im not 100% positive but imo
85?(i forgot)-95 alchemy u should do g poison
both cost effective and fast
Greater poison is 55 difficulty, Greater Cure is 65. That was one of my problems with sunfiregt's guide, he recommended you do an easier item after a harder one.

Sir Kenga;1438943 said:
Your "cost effective" prices are inaccurate. E.G.
35 - 55 - Greater Agility (3 Moss, 9GP) ------ BM costs 4gp per = 12gp

30 - 55 - Recall (8GP) ------- Scroll 4gp, BP 4gp, BM 4gp, MR 2gp = 14gp
75 - GM - Gate (8GP) ------ Scroll 4gp, BP 4gp, MR 2gp, SA 3gp = 13gp

etc

PS but in general good guide.

I'm basing the prices off the faction vendors (which I'd assume most people use) which are 3gp for moss/pearl and 2gp for everything else.

Ace the Rper;1438790 said:
Easiest way to gm parry is to attack wild animals that do shit damage and have two-three healers. As a 7th skill it only takes like 20 mins from 0-100.
Added to the parry section.

All of these are things I've done to train the skills, but I'm open to other suggestions or ways other people have found that are better than the ones I've listed.

Countessa

Knight

I believe many use mana vamp because of less mana lost, therefore you are able to cast more spells. FS is cost effective, mana vamp is time effective.

You also might want to make a note at the top in regards to skill gain slowing the closer you are to cap, to work hard skills first.

And possibly place a score system of some type by the skill referring to the difficulty in raising the skill - ex resist is 1, carpentry is 2, animal lore 3; where 1=hard skill, 3= easy skill

Countessa;1442341 said:
I believe many use mana vamp because of less mana lost, therefore you are able to cast more spells. FS is cost effective, mana vamp is time effective.
FS and Mana Vampire are both 7th circle spells and take 40 mana. Unless I'm missing something they should both GM you at the same speed, but FS will be about half the cost.

You also might want to make a note at the top in regards to skill gain slowing the closer you are to cap, to work hard skills first.

And possibly place a score system of some type by the skill referring to the difficulty in raising the skill - ex resist is 1, carpentry is 2, animal lore 3; where 1=hard skill, 3= easy skill
Good idea, I'll get to work on that tonight.

Countessa

Knight

Richard C Mongler;1442350 said:
FS and Mana Vampire are both 7th circle spells and take 40 mana. Unless I'm missing something they should both GM you at the same speed, but FS will be about half the cost.

Because of the nature of the spell, I thought Mana Vamp took less mana even though it's level 7. I'm probably wrong however.
I used mana vamp long ago because it was easy to macro with no checks for heals.

I agree with you Tessa Mana Vampire is more time effective. You don't have to waste 10 seconds when you get high to heal yourself of your own spells. Plus with mana vampire you can have alot of characters shoot on you and not fear death.