UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

The lack of civility and humanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebub

Knight
Re: The lack of civility and humanity

i know i was just giving you a hard time ;)

i hate america, but not all americans are bad people :)

GreatSquid

Sorceror

This just reeks of hypocrisy to me.

What exactly are you doing derreisender to improve the plight of humanity as you seem to see it? Complaining in an internet forum of a 10+ year old game? If you are so morally superior than why aren't you out there leading by example and showing people how to improve things.

Instead you are doing what the rest of us are doing and wasting time playing video games and talking to people we will never meet in internet forums. The difference as I see it is that most of us are satisfied with our lot in life.

Did you just find Marxism? Is that what's going on with your philosophical ideology? Capitalism is without a doubt a flawed system, but it is a system that works for a lot of people. It is possible to move up and down the social ladder, through ideas, determination, and hard work.

There are wonderful things that happen every day in this world too. Yet you refrain from pointing out any of that, focusing instead only on what is wrong with the world.

I live in Iowa where we were recently devastated by flooding. It seemed that everyone in Iowa City was pitching in and helping out, sandbagging, evacuating belongings, whatever needed done. There were hundreds of people coming together for the common good with no rewards, no personal gain, nothing in it for the volunteers except easing the burden of people directly affected by the flood.

Stuff like this happens every day. People come together sometimes on large scale and sometimes even small gestures like letting someone in line in front of you at the grocery store or even a smile to a stranger.

There is good and bad in this world. Always has been, always will be. No need to be bitter and rant about it in a UO forum.

GreatSquid;1700646 said:
This just reeks of hypocrisy to me.

"What exactly are you doing derreisender to improve the plight of humanity as you seem to see it? Complaining in an internet forum of a 10+ year old game? If you are so morally superior than why aren't you out there leading by example and showing people how to improve things."

I don't claim to be superior to the rest of anyone here. All I'm doing is trying to convey what I've personally experienced, that there is a better way to live. I'm human, and I like to have a little fun every now and then -- that's why I play UO, that and for the international community we find on the server, quite refreshing. Ask anyone who knows me in game what they think of me.

"Instead you are doing what the rest of us are doing and wasting time playing video games and talking to people we will never meet in internet forums. The difference as I see it is that most of us are satisfied with our lot in life."

One of my biggest problems isn't being unhappy with what's in my life; most of my anger comes from watching the lives of people around me, watching humans kill thousands of other humans by hand, just because they look a little different and talk funny.

"Did you just find Marxism? Is that what's going on with your philosophical ideology? Capitalism is without a doubt a flawed system, but it is a system that works for a lot of people. It is possible to move up and down the social ladder, through ideas, determination, and hard work."

I've been reasonably versed in Marxism for many years now, but I'm not talking about just an economic system here. I'm trying to plant some seeds for a different world. Nothing can, probably, ever be perfect, but we can do a much better job than the state of things today.

"There are wonderful things that happen every day in this world too. Yet you refrain from pointing out any of that, focusing instead only on what is wrong with the world. "

I agree. One of my most favorite things is being with someone, often a stranger, and mutually realizing that we have a lot in common, deeply, personally, that we're not doomed to be lonely and depressed. I like food so spicy that it makes you cry, cheese so fermented that your eyes water as you eat it. I like helping people help themselves, or just when they need a hand, like when I pushed an old lady's car, from the middle of a busy intersection, into a gas station in between dodging cars after I stopped traffic.

"I live in Iowa where we were recently devastated by flooding. It seemed that everyone in Iowa City was pitching in and helping out, sandbagging, evacuating belongings, whatever needed done. There were hundreds of people coming together for the common good with no rewards, no personal gain, nothing in it for the volunteers except easing the burden of people directly affected by the flood. "

The personal gain is a mutual gain, a feeling of respect and compassion; the outcome of these actions benefits everyone involved. It's nice to see small rays of light every now and then.

"Stuff like this happens every day. People come together sometimes on large scale and sometimes even small gestures like letting someone in line in front of you at the grocery store or even a smile to a stranger."

Indeed.

"There is good and bad in this world. Always has been, always will be. No need to be bitter and rant about it in a UO forum."

Well, maybe I'm just nuts (indeed, I know I'm nuts), but it seems like there's a lot more bad stuff building up than good stuff. If I don't try and change that, I don't sleep at night. Worse, if I took part in the perpetuation of the "bad stuff," I'd likely hang myself. Please do not mistake my bitterness as cruelty, as rage; it's just years of built up frustration. I was here anyway, so that's why I started writing in this thread.

If no one wants me to continue, then I'll leave. If no one goes here to think, then tell me where you go to think -- I'll meet you there. We all have to start somewhere.

GreatSquid;1700664 said:
soraged.com

Thank you. Well, at least part of my intent worked; I got some good thoughts stirring around in some of our minds, and there's a written record of our conversation. I think I'll have a smoke and read around the soraged forum a bit :)

GreatSquid

Sorceror

The best part is you don't have to make a new name since they are linked forums.

Gozer

Squire

I haven't read this entire thread, and for that I apologize, but is this all coming out because someone PK'd you in game and said "lol pwned"?

GreatSquid

Sorceror

Gozer;1700676 said:
I haven't read this entire thread, and for that I apologize, but is this all coming out because someone PK'd you in game and said "lol pwned"?

Nothing to do with it.

D

DuranMan

Im glad that you guys do see it though, Agree Fully. Have some respect and maturity.

Kerrs

Wanderer

as a roleplayer im all for this idea. I hate rping when some jerk comes by and tries to ruin your fun :(

Ozzy

Sorceror

Kerrs;1701311 said:
as a roleplayer im all for this idea. I hate rping when some jerk comes by and tries to ruin your fun :(
Just piss them off enough for them to give you a reason to attack them and you're fine.

edit: Or join the orcs, then you won't even need a reason.

Masquerade V

Wanderer

People complain all the time about the lack of civility on Hybrid. When Iwas creating my first character when I first started on this shard a good while ago, ( I played OSI from 2001 till ?, took a break for a year or two and then started on hybrid when OSI failed) I was thinking about how much I hated OSI trammel and couldnt wait to play in a Felucca only shard like old-school UO. I had read the forums in UO gamers and had prepared myself for the "assholes for the sake of being assholes" type of players. When I played OSI I was a really good player, I tried to help new people out by giving them armor, money, regs and so on any chance I could. I told myself I would do the same here. As soon as my very first character was created and I popped out in front on Britian inn, a guy came up to me and said the first words I heard on this Hybrid shard and I quote, "Leave right now you fucking retard or I will rape you in your eye hole." (Now i'm sure we all can agree that that is pretty fucking funny.) After that incident I went to brit bank where I was scammed, bank killed, robbed, and lured to houses that were "for sale" only to be killed, shot, beaten, raped, pillaged, griefed, rez killed and dry looted for a week strait. (Haha!) What happened after that was that I decided that I would fuck being a good character and do unto others as they have done unto me. (In other words learn all the scams/tricks there are to making other players lives a living hell) My point is, the lack of civility will never go away, because we constantly breed new assholes every day by making them that way. It's a constant circle of doom.

Mara

Knight

You made a mistake in your logic. Instead of fucking over those who fucked you, you decided to become a fuck to everyone who did you no fucking harm. That's just fucking fucked.

Anybody can play like an asshole, it takes a little bit of restraint to play in a way that is fun and challenging to everyone.

Masquerade V

Wanderer

You clearly misunderstood the phrase "do unto others as they have done unto me." That doesnt mean i'm off killing newbies and good players... It means that i'm going to do my best to make those people's lives hell, (and anyone they is associated with them). My whole point was that the lack of civility isnt just people comming to the game planning on being shitty to people, they are usually made that way. It is really just a game though so anyone who takes great offence to what I said needs to calm down and go outside for a while. I don't know if you have ever seen the sun? It's beautiful.

Mara

Knight

I wasn't mad or offended. It was sarcasm to show how good a little restraint can be, even in speech.

When you said that you decided that you would fuck being a good character, it implied you were going to be one of the same types of guys that had given you grief in the first place. It is not bad to punish evildoers using any means necessary. They have it coming. Just don't pass your grief forward to other people that didn't harm you, which is what a lot of people do for some odd reason. Since they got stabbed in the back, they go and stab someone else in the back, and say "Hehe, isn't life funny?"

But no, I wasn't mad at all. I guess my sense of humor is a little out of touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.