UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

**** the 2.4 gig memory limit x64 to the rescue :)

R

Ryan

**** the 2.4 gig memory limit x64 to the rescue :)

This is what those who have waited get rewarded with :)

M

Mark

For those of you not familiar with x64, processes that are running in 32 bit emulation have a *32 next to them. Notice Server.exe has no star, it's running in pure 64 bit mode. Also, I've recompiled our supporting dlls for x64 with optimizations as well.

M

Mark

To give a little more background, 32 bit processors can only address (see) 4 GB of memory (2 ^ 32 = roughly 4 GB ). Of that 4, 2 is given to the server, 2 is for the core operating system. With tweaks, we could give 3 to the server, and 1 to the operating system. With all the items and mobiles on our server though, we exceed that limit (2.4 for .NET applications). So even though our server had 4 GB of memory, we could only really use 2.4 GB of it due to the platform.

To be concise, 64 bit systems have 2 ^ 64 (like 18 petabytes or something) of address space, allowing us to use our full 4 GB of memory and more (system paging). This conversion will prevent us from crashing with the dreaded 'out of memory exception'.

EDIT:
I guess some of this goes way over people's heads, so I'll break it down.
- A large shard uses a large amount of memory.
- 32 bit computers can only handle a relatively small amount of memory.
- 64 bit computers can handle a practically unlimited amount of memory.
- Our shard is very large (perhaps the largest), and we're at the '32 bit wall', which is causing the frequent crashes.
- This transition will stop those crashes.

i know what you are talking about. right now im saving up. to build my computer. but it wont be a server i cant afford that. but if could i would :p

duxwig

Wanderer
And now I want to tell work Im sick, so I can go home and try it out.

And page....

Page about how glorious the new server is :)

M

Mark

I'm doing heavy testing on a vanilla cvs copy, then we wait for the colo provider to move the server to the private rack, then I trick krrios into doing the merge.

Devine

Page
Mark said:
To give a little more background, 32 bit processors can only address (see) 4 GB of memory (2 ^ 32 = roughly 4 GB ). Of that 4, 2 is given to the server, 2 is for the core operating system. With tweaks, we could give 3 to the server, and 1 to the operating system. With all the items and mobiles on our server though, we exceed that limit (2.4 for .NET applications). So even though our server had 4 GB of memory, we could only really use 2.4 GB of it due to the platform.

To be concise, 64 bit systems have 2 ^ 64 (like 18 petabytes or something) of address space, allowing us to use our full 4 GB of memory and more (system paging). This conversion will prevent us from crashing with the dreaded 'out of memory exception'.

EDIT:
I guess some of this goes way over people's heads, so I'll break it down.
- A large shard uses a large amount of memory.
- 32 bit computers can only handle a relatively small amount of memory.
- 64 bit computers can handle a practically unlimited amount of memory.
- Our shard is very large (perhaps the largest), and we're at the '32 bit wall', which is causing the frequent crashes.
- This transition will stop those crashes.
more like 16 exabytes

so what happens when we hit that wall