UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Start of the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

top notch

Wanderer
Re: Start of the universe

Galgum said:
The only rationale I can offer is that it's beyond our comprehension. I was bothered by that back in 11th grade. I would argue that how could there be a God, there must have a been a start, and what started it, and what started that, and so on. The only thing Bob could say is that God's always been there and that's it's beyond our comprehension how that's not a paradox. Same with the creation of the univese from the Big Bang Theory, it's beyond our comprehension.
the big bang theory is going to be proven right or wrong in a few years.. i forget how to explain it but yea.. anyway im agnostic.. im not going to waste my time praying to something that im not sure exists.. ill find out when i die..
as for the universe starting and shit.. that stuff is so interesting but it will never be figured out unless they prove the big bang right..

top notch

Wanderer

Kethinov said:
A current theory is that the universe is not infinite; that its an ever expanding, ever contracting body of mass. The Big Bang was in fact an expansion of matter but eventually as it grows larger it will reach a critical mass and collapse in on itself. This is the theory of universal lifecycle, a similar process to the lifecycle of stars. It's a controversial theory which many science people don't buy into.

Another take on it is that the universe was, in fact, never created. It has simply always existed and always will. Our interpretation of a big bang might have been flawed because what we're in fact seeing is light that radiated from thousands of light years away, showing us pictures of the universe in a much earlier time. There may perhaps be cycles of matter and energy conversation that cause us to see this ancient picture of the universe as a definitive expanding process when in reality it is just the natural flow of matter to energy and back again. In other words, our photographs from billions of years ago could be sending us distorted or entirely false images due to our undoubtedly flawed technologies and methods of interpreting the images.

And there are many other theories. One definitive answer is none of them quite explain everything. You can say for certain that our understanding of the universe at large is incomplete. We're still tinkering around with trying to master fusion, and generate antimatter at fermilab, and many other things. Getting depressed at our primitive society yet? Go watch some Star Trek. That oughta cheer ya up. ;)

i would like to read more from u.. u are a wize one.. or your nice with google/copy/paste

top notch

Wanderer

well you see there is a god.. Ryan McAdams
he origionated UO Gamers back in ...
ill stop
UO > RL

top notch

Wanderer

Cebrious Arcane said:
This thread kicks ass.

I'll play the devil's advocate, so we can keep this conversation going.

First, how is science any different than religion? When you boil everything down, how can you be sure about anything at all, ever? With science, they offer "facts" and "proof" but those facts and proof are based on perception, and on top of that, are based in a system founded on fallible theory. Theory is just that, and the cool thing about science is that it has this premise of "discovery" wherein if something doesn't agree with the "laws" that are in affect, through "discovery" (a fancy way of saying labeling) they come up with a new definition and thus a new "law of nature" is made.

Second, right now, you can't even be sure you are alive, or awake, in a coma, or dreaming. You believe you are. You even develop systems of proof to reinforce that you are. But how can you ever be sure? If you can't be sure you exist, how can you ponder on the infinite space of the Universe?

That's all for now, I have TONS more, just wetting the pallette...
I live for this kind of debate...

me too brother

top notch

Wanderer

Galgum said:
I think by then we'll have developed a way to stablize a nuclear fusion reaction, ie, what the sun is, and prevent the sun from entering it's burn out process. There's also the chance that in 35 million years we'll have progressed atleast enough to enter new solar systems and colonize other plants. That is, if our future presidents actually focus on the space project instead of blowing up our planet with more pointless wars.

i was just thinking that our sun is a gravitational force thing right.. so maybe eventualy mercury will be pulled into the sun and burn up and venus will become the next planet and the earth will become to hot and mars.. the next planet in line or the moon will.. but i just recently heard that the moon moves 1.5 inchs away from us each year.. i duno just speculation

top notch

Wanderer

Galgum said:
So what do you suggest? Humanity just sit around and wait for whoever's plan to be fulfilled? You can't just call all science faith, it's just us trying to better ourselves and the world alike. Along the way we look for answers, as I'm sure any religion does. But you can't say the exploration of the universe is an illusion, there's no way to tell, but we'll do our best to find out. I don't think we're able to comprehend the true answer to our questions yet, but we'll sure as hell try.

Edit: Good Post Monoxide, it's all interperatation really. No one said the writer of the bible was an illiterate idiot, he/she probably wrote in some theories of our existence in there as well.

in a way.. all science is faith, beacause we have faith that what we call facts today are indeed FACTS.. it was a fact that the world was flat back then because thats what their science proved.. and what we call facts today are called facts because its what our science proves.. who knows.. in 1000 years we could find out that half of our laws of nature and shit are false..
however there is one fact that will never change.. that i pwn irl

Galgum

Page

I've been thinking of reviving this thread myself for a while, but I really haven't come up with a good enough subject to discuss. This was a fantastic thread with terrific discussions, if anyone has any good topics you want to bring up for discussion, please do post it.

top notch

Wanderer

i remember a post where someone was talking about the only way to know is to travel over warp speed..
is warp speed as fast/faster then the speed of light?
and IF so.. then when traveling that fast to reach the end of the universe does time just stop for you? or just go back in time for you? and if so your exitence would eventualy start to cease.. making it so you never really would make it to the end.. also IF warp speed is as fast or faster then the speed of light.. then that would mean there is no time in the universe or its actualy even moving backwards..

i duno just a little thing i thought up.. im probably wrong
flame away

edit
universal mass is gaining speed
which would imply that eventualy it will break the speed of light.. which will reverse time..

top notch

Wanderer

Scribe_mage said:
hmmmmmmmmmmm i was wrong about blackholes. i was thinking black holes have a huge gravational pull. The black wholes would be connected If the black whole looked like X then the 2 points would be attracted to each other and eventually look like \/ or _/

oh heres a trivia question whats a white hole?

IF there is another universe.. then maybe we are just constant trading stuff with it but it never actualy escapes the black hole itself

say u have X and on the top side its sucking in stuff from universe 1.. and on the bottom side its sucking in stuff from universe 2.. and since nothing can escape, it all just chills within the center of the black hole.. eventualy the black hole will fill up.. with this stuff.. or the fabric of space.. eventualy making it so the black hole doesnt exist?

or IF the space between the 2 black holes still exists [before they meet eachother] maybe it is all sent to that space.. and flung out across it.. creating anothre universe..

the space between two black holes is constatnly getting smaller.. which would eventualy connect them and im not sure if it would spit them out into the other universe.. or if it would suck it in and where it meets it would settle..
lets say u can enter a black hold.. and when i ask wuts on the outside? i dont meen at the north and south points of the black hole.. im talking east and west? X = a black hole.. wats on the left and right sides of it? nothingness? maybe if u were look at it at 90 degress it would just be 4 universes that all connect there? meaning 4 black holes connecting to one another.. and if they dont yet connect.. then the space between them is also another universe.. but then when they eventualy do connect.. the universe between them is destroied!?

and also if the space is constantly getting smaller.. would they eventualy just look like O on both sides? connecting two universes without all the gravitational pull? just like tear in our universes fabric, and a tear in "theirs" and they both meet.. so u can kinda just fly threw it?

top notch

Wanderer

Scribe_mage said:
little confused but a white hole is a black hole going back in time an instead of sucking in matter its shooting it out.

The name is given so you dont have to say that when using negevtive exponts, in some weird math

i think its just sucking stuff in from both sides rather then sucking it in one and shooting it out the other.. ?

top notch

Wanderer

ganjastaar said:
chaos theory / the butterfly effect would answer the time travel ?'s
and matter cant be created or destroyed, therefor if you went back in time you wouldnt be creating matter but using matter that already exists, in theory you could kill a random person coz ud use their matter
personally i think theres too many hitches to ever make time travel possable

my computer is taking up space.. if i condense my computer.. that would create more space.. [matter] and if the universe is constantly expanding.. then matter is also being created.. and im not sure if black holes suck in the fabric of space, matter, or just random gasses and rocks.. but if it does suck in the fabric of space, or matter.. then that is decreasing the matter..

maybe there is one GIANT black hole that just makes the others so incredably tiny when compared to it.. and everyone within the tiny blackholes gravitational field [making up words] is being sucked into them but ULTIMATELY were just eventualy going to be sucked into the GIANT blackhole.. even the smaller black holes.. and if EVERYTHING isnt enough to fill up the giant black hole then i guess we just stay there..?

top notch

Wanderer

fonis said:
Another interesting thing to think about is that physicists agree that if you were to know the exact conditions of the Big Bang, you would know the future. That is, you could propagate that data for as far as you wanted and know everything. In that sense, our lives would be fatalistic, since, well, shits destined to happen.

But, since it's more or less impossible to find out, at least for man, does that mean we really are pre-determined by fate? Ignorance is bliss, in that way.

ULTIMATELY yes.. when i say ultimately i meen by the end of mankind, our planet, galaxy, universe.. but as individual people.. no, because we have brains and make decisions..

edit:
just read this post..
If there's a beginning and an end to time, what if every moment were like a frame from a movie? Movies don't create themselves as they're going, the old "You think you have a choice but what you go with is really your destiny."

which is insane

top notch

Wanderer

Cebrious Arcane said:
No, what I'm saying is that consciousness and memory doesn't have to be seated in the brain/brain cells neccessarily. I am more than aware of every aspect science has to offer, but I find what they have to say is no more, or less, valid than any explanation a religion can offer. It's just a difference of perspective. Science has this cool way of declaring something to not exist, but still allow for the possibility of it to exist. Like with your "plants have no central "intelligence"", of course they don't according to science. Look at it objectively, don't take it to be fact just because someone told you to, hehe. But, if it turns out that plants do have an intelligence, and a consciousness similar or, for shits and giggles, superior to ours, science would say the door to that possibility was never closed, yet all the while, they would ridicule the person suggesting the idea. That's how science has always progressed. So yes, if that cool theory were to be correct each cell could have a consciousness, and together the plant would be a community, but I think to fully flush out that theory one would have to take it a step further: the communal plant, would therefore have its OWN consciousness, which was built, as it was, from all the cells with all their own consciousnesses. And on top of that, each part of the cells would have their own form of consciousness, which in turn created, the cell's consciousness, etc, etc...

One giant undulating consciousness, never changing, but always convincing itself of change.

thats insane.. i like it

top notch

Wanderer

Monoxide said:
Very amusing way to put it, viruses enter cells and destroy them to reproduce. Sounds a lot like how we're destroying this planet as our population grows and we're planning to spread.

the universe is a living organism.. the planets and shit are different cells and parts of it.. and we are all virus's.. slowly destroying it.. the cure for the universe will be our demise..

the plants and food and whatnot are our life support, what we feed and thrive on..
the cure is already figuered out.. its to make the virus mutate [evolution] and [they hope] (they meaning the things that invented the cure for the universe) it [us] will eventualy will start creating more biohazardous things to kill itself before it becomes smart enough to fix it..

just came up with that

top notch

Wanderer

Mike13294 said:
Basically, what Inverse Reality Physics (In my own opinion), is saying is that the true world, true universe and true REALITY, is masked behind our deceptive minds. Our minds are extremely complex--we only use about 4-5 % (some figure like that), and we have over 90% of it unexplained as to what it is used for--currently scientists say that we simply don't use that other 90% of our brainpower--perhaps we do in someway use this "leftover", brainpower unconsciously--our mind is using all of this "virtual memory", to mask our true world.

someone needs to script something for our mind to use all 100%..
almost like speed hack.. how your cpu only uses say 25% and when u install and run gear.. it uses all 100%...
we need to make a diagram of our mind and translate it into a computer system.. then translate the program gear into something for the mind..

sorry for spamming but i am reading this thread from page one and posting as i go along..

Status
Not open for further replies.