UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

So How Important is Connection Speed?

So How Important is Connection Speed?

How important is connection speed, especially with regard to PVP and dueling? For example how big or small of an advantage does a person with 20 ping have vs someone with 50 ping, 70, 100, or 200?

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
Re: So How Important is Connection Speed?

Sigler said:
20 ping people will be able to out run the 50+ people..

not true.

Anything less than 75 or so there's no difference.

welkopole

Sorceror

I got a slow cable conn. (256k) not sure what my ping is but sometimes when i'm running from a dexxer he will be 3 or 4 paces from me and will be getting hits in on me. But when I'm chasing someone this never happins, I have to be right on top of him to score a hit.:(

You can type "-ping" in game (without quotes) to find your ping. Don't know how accurate it is though.

sasso

Wanderer

i have a 2 meg connection and it usually says my ping is about 150ms ish... and thats pretty high..... dunno why tho cos on battlefield 2 i usually have a ping of about 30 :p

CookieFactory said:
You can type "-ping" in game (without quotes) to find your ping. Don't know how accurate it is though.
that doesnt work, how do you see your ping.

XIQJX

Wanderer

Someone with 20 ping has a .02 second delay between them doing an action, and the server recieving the packets. A player with 200 ping would have a .2 second delay. 1/5th of a second can make the difference between you getting that heal and missing it, unless your used to playing lagged.

Bread Eight

Sorceror

I got a 15ping from my cable. I used to have dialup and pinged 250ish. I dont notice much of a diff except when Im around lots of people like brit bank etc.

Well im on aol dialup 9.0 i connect at 28.8k and I ping around 350 when I dont move. Only time I really have problems is at the events or around keeps. But I would much rather have nice ping instead of all this rubberband lag when I run and cast

Jefe314159

Wanderer

Yes ping is a huge part of the game.

It wont make you good at pvp but if 2 people that are relatively close to eachother's skill have vastly different pings, the lower ping will win.

I used to have 20 ping to baja, and basically never died...

Here I usually have 100 on a good day, and have dexers hit me, cast, pass me to hit me again, cast, etc.

In short, anyone thats a top pvper here has good ping.
If they didnt, they wouldnt be a top pvper.

A little sad isnt it...

KarmannSport

Sorceror

ping does play a role but oddly enough so does your computer (considering this game was made in 97). My brothers built his comp in 05, I built mine in 03. Hes got 512k more memory than me, a much faster video card and a faster CPU. We ping the same (~80). He SMOKES me. He can run through WBB without even the tiniest hint of lag where on my comp its noticable. Matter of fact, after using his computer once, im building a new one.

Lag, even a tiny noticable bit, plays a larger role in PVP than you would think.

Flipper

Knight

Jefe314159 said:
Yes ping is a huge part of the game.

It wont make you good at pvp but if 2 people that are relatively close to eachother's skill have vastly different pings, the lower ping will win.

I used to have 20 ping to baja, and basically never died...

Here I usually have 100 on a good day, and have dexers hit me, cast, pass me to hit me again, cast, etc.

In short, anyone thats a top pvper here has good ping.
If they didnt, they wouldnt be a top pvper.

A little sad isnt it...

I ping ~200 and was pretty good when I played consistently

Sypher

Wanderer

Untouchable855 said:
I dont use razor
Your loss then. You choose to be old fashioned you miss out on all the new features.
Get up to date.

hivajisa

Wanderer

i got dsl and normally ping at about 140 but sometimes i hit 250 for some reasons the only time having good ping is important imo is when ur pvping cause i lost a few cross heals cause of lag and died a few times because of it but if all u do is pvm or bank sit there shouldnt be much to worry about if u ping good or not