UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

RunUO World Community Grid Team

A

ASayre

RunUO World Community Grid Team

The RunUO Team is asking for your help:

We all have spare CPU time on our computers. IBM has sponsored the World Community Grid which uses spare CPU time to help find cures for diseases. We are starting our own team there.

- Go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org and download their software.
- Install their software, run it and register an account.
- Go to their website and join the team name "RunUO".

There couldn't be an easier way to help the world than this.

Thanks,
The RunUO Team

malakhi

Wanderer
Re: RunUO World Community Grid Team

Im a bit confused. What would I be installing and how does this help?

Kowe

Wanderer

Just from reading the homepage (oh that was hard :p) I was able to gather that it only runs when your computer is idleing. Like a screensaver.

How it helps: it preforms calculations to find which drug would fight AIDS the best and the results are sent back to the database. The highest rated drugs are then lab tested which could lead to a breakthrough it curing AIDS.

There are more projects then just FightAIDSHome. Another one is Proteome_Folding.

You can choose which projects you wish to help in.

I hope that helps people to decide whether or not to particpate. I know I am. (since it runs only when the computer is idleing it has to inconvience to me but can help find cures)

I believe that EVERYONE should DL this and join the RunUO team. Imagine Being part of the Cure for Aids or Cancer or some sort of disease. Ima get it when i go home.

pkrlz

Knight

Eskeshehir said:
I believe that EVERYONE should DL this and join the RunUO team. Imagine Being part of the Cure for Aids or Cancer or some sort of disease. Ima get it when i go home.

agree!
i'm in

go go runuo team!

dupre'

Wanderer

I joined.

By the way I can't log in w/ the 3D client -- when will this be working again?

-D'

Wow this really does sound like something very interesting.
I usually have my computer on while at school so could let it run idle to help out.

lespost

Wanderer

it is appropiated to see a free game shard has social responsibility.

ive joined the project, even my effect would just help a tine part of the world.

AnklaAmarth

Wanderer

I am having my one boss for gaming servers send me a dual 3.4 xeon server machine for re-doing the companies entire website. After it is sent, I will setup an account and install the software on this. The machine will be running 24/7 so, there will be plenty of free cpu for this cause.
Thank you guys for doing this and mentioning it to us.
I will be certain to join the RunUO team.
I also have a spare 700mhz machine but it is in need of a pci ide card in order to run. I gave it to a friend, but as soon as I get another i will use it for this as well!

Cheers to you fellows!

Jonathan - Ankla Amarth

TheMage

Sorceror

:p looks cool but im confused. Were you guys advocating disease researce, or are you campaigning to borrow our pcs' idle processes to power demise? Cuz if people sign up thinking they are helping fight aids, and really are only helping an online game they might get a little... well... O_O just can anyone clarify this?

ChiDoe

Wanderer

TheMage;284487 said:
:p looks cool but im confused. Were you guys advocating disease researce, or are you campaigning to borrow our pcs' idle processes to power demise? Cuz if people sign up thinking they are helping fight aids, and really are only helping an online game they might get a little... well... O_O just can anyone clarify this?

The first part (disease research).;)

TheMage;284487 said:

Man, I've been here on Demise for like 1 year and 1 month. Well before joining Demise I already did use this program to help with CPU and stuff. Well, I don't use it anymore. I have absolutely no idea if we are indeed helping anything realted to diseases, but for sure I know that some laboratory is doing some hell of a research without having to spend a nickel in computer processing.
Looks like the right thing to do. But really, your paying for other peoples work, so they get more money.
Also I've never seen any report regarding advances in medicines due to this program, so you may start to think twice.
It's like McDonald's Anti-Cancer campaign. You give them a lot of donations, and the donate to charity, discounting from their taxes. In fact you're paying McDonald's taxes. I don't donate through companies anymore. I donate directly.

Anyways... the program is somewhat safe. Never heard of any problems with it. It's just a moral question to use it or not.
Choose your side. ;)

xLegacyx

Wanderer

ASayre;119725 said:
The RunUO Team is asking for your help:

We all have spare CPU time on our computers. IBM has sponsored the World Community Grid which uses spare CPU time to help find cures for diseases. We are starting our own team there.

- Go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org and download their software.
- Install their software, run it and register an account.
- Go to their website and join the team name "RunUO".

There couldn't be an easier way to help the world than this.

Thanks,
The RunUO Team

Id love to join the RunUO team, but I am already apart of a university study doing the same program. =(