UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Runebooks explained

Countessa

Knight
Runebooks explained

I'm asked about runebooks about three or four times a week. This is for the new player to uo, and the old player coming back to the game.

What is a runebook?

A runebook is a blessed book that will hold marked recall runes, 16 locations per book. As long as it is in your original backpack (not in another bag inside it), you will not lose the runebook to looting, death or thieves.

Where do I get a runebook?

Runebooks can be bought from npc mages. For usually less, they can be bought from other players. Runebooks are craftable with the inscription skill.

How do I add my own marked locations?

To add a rune to a runebook, drop the marked rune on the closed runebook. The rune will now show up in the first available slot in the book.

I suggest renaming the runes before adding them to your book for organizational purposes. Rename a marked rune by double clicking the rune, typing the name, hit enter. Unnamed runes will come up as 'indescript' in your runebook.

How does the book work?

Double-click the book to open it.
You will see two pages with eight slots each.

This is a full runebook

This runebook has only one location added.

On the top left is a red diamond. You can rename your book by clicking the diamond, type the name and hit enter.
The top left page also shows the number of charges (recall scrolls) in your book; the top right shows the maximum number of charges the book can hold.

Beside every marked location is a blue dot. Clicking this dot will recall you to the corresponding location, using a charge. Books may be recharged by dropping recall scrolls on the book in the same manner recall runes are added.

It is more economical to use reagents instead of charges whenever possible. At the bottom of the book are the numbers 1-8 in small circles, indicating the 8 pages of the book. Circle 1 will hold the first two recall locations in the book. Clicking a circle will open the book to that page.

This is the first page of the above full runebook

By clicking the recall icon you can recall to the corresponding location using recall reagents (mandrake root, bloodmoss, blackpearl).
Beside it is the icon to gate to that location, also taking reagents(mandrake root, bloodmoss, blackpearl, and sulphurous ash).

At the top of each page you will notice a green dot with 'set default' beside it. Clicking this dot will set the book to a default location. Casting recall on the closed runebook will take you to the runebook's default location using reagents.

On the page for each marked location is an option to drop the rune. This can be done to remark/rename a rune, remove one no longer used or to organize the book as you would like. The dropped rune will appear in your backpack.

Runebooks may be dyed using a Runebook Dye Tub. Your account must be 120 days old to use this tub.
Recall requires 11 mana.

Re: Runebooks explained

Here's a clever trick for veterans. By marking runes at any location and adding them to an unused runebook, you can create a collection of "indescript" runes. You can use these to mark at any location, at any time. Since they're in a runebook it is similar to having a collection of blessed unmarked runes.

Dr Zoidberg

Wanderer
Re: Runebooks explained

22 magery you cant fizzle 1st
36 magery you cant fizzle 2nd
50 magery you cant fizzle 3rd
64 magery you cant fizzle 4th
78 magery you cant fizzle 5th
92 magery you cant fizzle 6th
at GM magery you have 85% chance to succeed 7th and 50% to succeed 8th.

I thought every oldschooler knew that : ) Everyone knows the 92 mag to 100% ebs/explos though.

And i dont know if this is accurate to RunUO, but i think so. Thats how UO is anyway.