UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Resisting Spells, How much difference does it make?

Resisting Spells, How much difference does it make?

I'm making a tamer. I have GMed taming and Magery. I casted stuff on myself to get resist spells while working on magery. My resisting spells is at 92.6.

The question I have is how much difference does it make to have 100 resisting spells versus 92.6? I'm getting really impatient and want to get on with finishing my tamer so I can go out and use him.

Does resisting spells help against monsters that will use magic on me while I am hunting and taming? Or does resisting spells only serve the purpose of helping defend against PKers?

Mara

Knight
Re: Resisting Spells, How much difference does it make?

Resisting Spells makes a huge difference against spellcasting monsters since they are generally not GM Mage GM eval. Against Pk mages which are almost always GM mage GM eval, the typical explosion ebolt combos will do about 10 more damage or so, from 0 resist to GM resist, because you only have about a 25% chance to actively resist the high level spells even at GM. GM resist is great for protection against low level spells though.

You aren't going to see much difference from 92.6 to GM, if you want to start going out and playing though.

Thanks for the info! I was hoping to hear that the 92.6 to GM wouldn't make much difference. Will save me some time and reagents to just get on with my tamer and finish off the music, peacemaking, vet and animal lore.

If anyone else has any further input on how resisting spells works I would love to know. It is one of those skills that I know is good to have, but I don't really understand the details of how it works or what it does exactly.

amish_ned

Sorceror

since its a bitch to raise once you hit 700 I would go ahead and finish it if you can, and leave the easier stuff to macro at the bank.

Play on

Wanderer

If you have other mages on your account, you can mana vampire this character and if your resist is 2nd skill it will only take an hour

huge difference, cuts the spell damage almost in half

I ended up just finishing it off. I think it took me about 800 more flamestrike reagents on my self and I finished it yesterday over the course of about 5 or 6 hours or something like that.

thanks again for the info.

bizzlenizzle

Wanderer

UOGamers: Hybrid - Ultima Online Freeshard

Resisting Spells:
While the name of this skill may suggest that it helps with resisting all spells, this is not the case. This skill helps you lessen the severity of spells that lower your stats or ones that last for a specific duration of time. It does not prevent direct-damage spells, like Energy Bolt or Flamestrike. The spells that can be resisted are listed below:

Magery Spells:
Clumsy Mana Drain Paralyze Field Weaken Curse Mana Vampire Poison Feeblemind Paralyze Poison Field

So is that outdated?

scarecrow41

Squire

My own experience tells me this is not correct. If I'm hit by a flamestrike I receive a huge difference in damage whether or not I get the system message down in the left corner "You feel yourself resisting the spell".

Mara

Knight

Ill post some quick data for anyone who is interested.

GM Mage GM Eval vs 0 Resist - All flamestrikes unresisted (Damage Not cut in half)

Dmg: 47,43,44,47,44 = Avg 45.0

GM Mage GM Eval vs GM Resist - All flamestrikes unresisted (Damage Not Cut in half, no spells were actively resisted during test regardless)

Dmg: 36,38,38,38,38 = Avg 37.6

Average Damage Difference 7.4 Dmg = 19.7% higher than results vs GM resist. Are you getting different results than this scarecrow?

hoglegs

Sorceror

I've never ran the numbers, but I do know I die more often on chars with no resist vs chars with resist... It seems as though I take WAY more damage without resists than with, but like I said..I've never ran the numbers..

scarecrow41

Squire

That looks consistent with what I've been experiencing. Needless to say that when the spell is resisted the damage is cut in half...which can be the difference between life and death for a dexxer.

i have played this game since 1997. yes resist matters.

things that will have a chance to be resisted:

-1st and most importantly DAMAGE
-2nd poison
-3rd mana drain / mana vampire.

And as far as what the guy at the beginning said about monsters not having gm eval magery that is also not true. mage savages have killed me multiple times with their half life double flame strikes and high powered spells and that is with gm resist.

to sum things up for you...resist is one of the most important skills in the game for ANY character....but it all depends on your character template. what kind of tamer are you wanting to be? pvm (player vs monster) tamer? pvp tamer? peacemaking tamer? those are all things to consider. with that said i think i have gm resist on every tamer i have (4).

Mara

Knight

Not all monsters are GM Mage GM Eval. If you fight liches with 0 resist vs GM resist you notice a very significant difference in how much damage you are taking over time, since you are almost never actively resisting their spells with 0 resist. It's easy to take on two liches at once with GM resist. With 0 resist, you have to be a hell of a lot more careful.

Besides, I never said it wasn't important. It's just that if you are giving it up, you better have a damn good reason. 75% of the mages on the shard will drop the same old explosion/ebolt combo again and again in field PVP, where you are not going to see that much difference in damage since your chance to actively resist 6 circle spells cast by a GM Mage GM Eval is low. The problem is this shard does revolve a bit around ganking, so sometimes you need to be able to handle two flamestrikes, or two meteor swarm, if you are willing to fight uneven odds.

1 vs 1, there are plenty of templates where you wouldnt need GM resist to be effective in field PVP. Consider an alchy lumberjack with hiding (maybe 80 alchy, 20 Magery). Every time he pops out of the shadows you are looking at 2 axe swings with a pot in between. Every time you try to drop your explosion, he just hides. Every time you cast meteor, he just rushes you. Chances are, unless you are really good yourself, you are either going to be doing a hell of a lot of running, or calling in a gank like most of the other assholes on the shard. So then the argument goes to, well what about having to deal with two mages. Well, how about two hiding alchy lumberjacks, then you are looking at 4 swings and two pots in a 5 second period. There will be plenty of instakills to make people rage, and most likely they will never even know the guy had 0 resist.

Mara

Knight

bizzlenizzle;1697185 said:

That info on Stratics is for today's Post Age of Shadows Shards. It is actually up-to-date, but it does not apply to UOGamers:Hybrid, which is a mix of the old and the new. When EA made these changes, they created a lot of confusion for people.

Ekse Buddha

Sorceror

Mara;1698265 said:
That info on Stratics is for today's Post Age of Shadows Shards. It is actually up-to-date, but it does not apply to UOGamers:Hybrid, which is a mix of the old and the new. When EA made these changes, they created a lot of confusion for people.

yes, the uoghybrid website itself is worthless for guides anymore. just refer to the forums guide section for help.

LKP

Forum Member of the year 09'

While 5 spells is hardly adequate data for such a test, it does seem resist lowers direct damage from spells somewhat passively, as well as greatly reducing damage when you actively resist. And, as previously noted, resisting poison is crucial. Mana drain, though rarely used except to negate magic reflection, could also be the bane of any caster whose enemies learn he has no resist.