UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Music Thread

Diz

Wanderer
It's time for another showcase week of musical education, another one of my favorite artists...

DJ Krush was a former Yakuza kid who got out of gangs in Tokyo in the early 90s by trying to become a DJ. A skilled turntablist, he soon began working on actual production and that's where he really came into his own. Krush is probably the best trip hop artist I've ever heard, in my opinion he's just a bit better than other titans of the genre like DJ Shadow, RJD2, etc. His long catalog has covered practically all styles of music - jazz, downtempo, hip hop (many impressive collabs), electronica, breakbeat, techno, ambient, classical... he's literally all over the place. His dynamic and fearless approach is pretty unique and always evolving, so I'll make sure to post a variety of his songs to try and show this. He's one of my biggest inspirations in production, some of his albums are practically like spiritual meditations.

For the initial cut, I wanted to select a song that represents Krush at his most balanced, practical, and accessible... but I just can't. So enjoy this, a proper introduction. :D

DJ Krush [ft. Ken Shima] - Stormy Cloud [Raindrop Mix] (Stepping Stones - 2006)

Diz

Wanderer
Here is an example of DJ Krush showing both of his trademarks - soulful production with innovative turntable skills. This song is a hip hop staple from a time when the actual music meant something.

DJ Krush - Kemuri (Strictly Turntablized - 1994)

Diz

Wanderer
The Jaku album in particular is full of this sort of hybrid of modern sounds with traditional Japanese instruments. For example, the shamisen on this wild track in particular:

DJ Krush - Beyond Raging Waves (Jaku - 2004)

Diz

Wanderer
If you aren't truly familiar with Carnatic music [hint: India], the Japanese flute aka Shakuhachi in this song will make you say "ohhhhhhh... so that's what it is..."

DJ Krush - Black Rain (Kuroi Ame Black Rain Single - 2012)

Diz

Wanderer
In '96, Krush collabed with a famous jazz trumpeter, Toshinori Kondo. The result is, well, a case study in how instrumental hip hop should sound. Jazzy space for daydreaming abound...

DJ Krush [ft. Toshinori Kondo] - Toh-Sui (Ko-Oku - 1996)

Diz

Wanderer
As I wind down my Krush showcase, I have to drop a nice hip hop cut. To be brief, basically all (which is a lot) of the guest MCs on his hip hop songs kill it.

DJ Krush [ft. Mr Lif] - Nosferatu (Jaku - 2006)

Diz

Wanderer
For my final Krush selection... another jazzy, worldly, atmospheric track with a progressive structure. Hope you enjoyed; check out the rest of his stuff, it's tasty.

DJ Krush [ft. D Madness & Masato Nakamura] - But The World Moves On (The Message At The Depth - 2002)