UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Making a Thief

Making a Thief

I'm currently making a thief. I've noticed that with all of my other characters that when I macro skills that they tend to rise pretty fast, at least into the 70's or 80's, but on my thief my stealing skill is rising very slowly. Does anyone have any hints or suggestions on a way to make this skill rise faster?

Special_Ed

Wanderer
thief time

A thief has to have 48 hours of in game time and you must have at least 60 skill points to join the thieves guild. As for building skill, if you have the money buy yourself a packy some pouches and some bandaids. Distribute your aids among the pouches usually 1 aid per skill every 10 skill points (at 40 skill you would use 4 aids). Place the pouches in the packys pack, tell it to guard you then practice stealing the pouches if you aren't getting gains the try adding more aids per pouch or taking one away if you can't steal the item just watch your gains and adjust as needed. You can go all the way to gm with this method. I prefer finding a very quiet spot for the packy training, no distractions, no pk's.

mustard

Wanderer
I actually just GM'd stealing last night by going to the Moonglow docks and stealing the fishing poles out of the barrels. Easy and free (and then I sold the poles back to the fishers).

I have other thief skill questions that might as well go here.

Detect Hidden. It reveals other players, but it isn't revealing traps. Why not on this server? I should be able to see that there is a trap somewhere on my screen when I get near one.

Plus I am now venturing into dungeons to pick the chests, only they are all empty. Even Covetous 4. As in they don't spawn at all. Nor do the chests in the Serpent's Hold blacksmith shop.
:(

Are there ANY lootable chests on this server that are worth a GM thief/detect/stealth/lockpick/remove trap character? I love looting chests.

mustard

Wanderer
I have another question.

Can anyone kill you at any time in town?

I thought that a death erased permagrey status, but people seem to be able to attack and kill me in town without me stealing anything since my last death. I know that a thief can't give counts, but I thought that people couldn't just attack you in town unless you were grey to them.

The Monarch

Knight
as far as ive experienced ur perma gray for two minutes or so whether u die or not but not exactly sure on the time. as far as detecting traps that is an aos feature and we all know this isnt aos

mustard

Wanderer
No, I had died and rezzed about 30 minutes before and was killed out of the blue in town without stealing anything.

I had a detect/remove trap thief on a regular shard and I quit before AoS came out. I always saw the traps on my screen, plus when detecting a trapped chest. Just wondering what the difference is here, and what the theif rules are here because obviously it's pretty different.

The Monarch

Knight
really? i dont remember it detecting traps before aos. and were u afk when u died? cuz someone could have just been town killing u

mustard

Wanderer
Yes, I was afk but my question is how can someone attack me after I've reset my perma grey status? Are the rules different here and if so what are they so I can know.

I'll add another question too. On some shards your able to hide, go stealth and snoop in other player's backpacks "without" being revealed as long as you succeed in your snoop. (I mean in no way stealing, just snooping) Does anyone know if that feature is included in this UO Gamers?

*Tips His Jester Hat*

yoshi0520

Sorceror
I know that if you open a corpse while hidden it will reveal you, unless it is your corpse you are looting.

I GMed my stealthing this morning in about 4 hours using a pack horse that was guarding me, and hiding was a snap.

I was wondering is NPC shops ever have anything in their safety boxes that are ever worth stealing.

*Name Withheld* (for obvious reasons)

Mertek

Wanderer
From what I've seen, snooping does not reveal if you succeed. There's no reason not to have GM snooping if you're a thief. Also, NPC shops only seem to have worthless items in their locked safety boxes. Provisioners have random food items, carpenters have carpentry tools, mages have unstealable (?) spellbooks with a few spells in them.

mustard

Wanderer
Nothing in Covetous 1-4, nothing in Hythloth. I haven't been to all the dungeons yet or the white wyrm lair, but it doesn't look promising.

yoshi0520 said:
I was wondering is NPC shops ever have anything in their safety boxes that are ever worth stealing.
Hehe, where do you think people find those Deer and Bear Masks?

Detect Hidden shows traps. You can Snoop while Hidden/Stealth and it doesn't reveal you. I've noticed every thief I've attacked becomes gray to me instantly, I'm not sure if they're in perma-gray or not, but I have yet to see someone whom I have confirmed to be a thief, that when I attacked, did not turn gray. Every time I get attacked on my thief I pretty much presume I'm perma-gray since I'm perpetually stealing, but I think Travis is mostly right about the timer.

mustard

Wanderer
Hmm.

Detect Hidden is not showing any traps for me. You actually have a character with that skill on this server and you are seeing the traps?

I've heard mixed versions of players saying detect hidden works and doesnt work here, I don't know what to believe, I just listen to those voices....

Buonarroti

Wanderer
Timer should be two minutes of being grey to everyone, and you're perma to the mark until you die. Poison comes in handy for killing yourself to wipe your perma status, btw. There's nothing more annoying than swiping something great and getting away with it only to run into some guy you stole from two days ago and getting killed and looted.

Snooping (or as I like to call it "shopping") won't reveal you if you succeed. At gm snooping you should rarely fail, making it invaluable. Nothing like stealthing around an entire group and choosing the best item to target when they have no clue you're even there.

If anyone wants to trade tips just pm me- I recently came back after a few years out of the game, but i used to play on dial up, which forced me to get creative in order to survive.