UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Large Hadron Collider.

mantorras

Sorceror
Re: Large Hadron Collider.

Ageless Venomous;446715 said:
I see 4 possibilities in that one:

1st - Everything works out fine - Lesser chances.
2nd - Black hole and World Demise - Good Chances.
3rd - Explosion and effects a lot worst than nuclear warheads - Greater chances.
4th - Failure, money spent on nothing - Deadly chances.
5th - That whole thing doesnt exist, the money was actually spent on warfare - Lethal chances.

The comparisson to poison was not a act of "nerdation"

I don't understand the reason of the 5, the 4 is untrue ( It has already helped creating new technology, pretty much like what happens with Nasa, and it could contribute to a really important cientific breaktrough, 3 and 2 are almost impossible.
Or if you were goofing around I will shut up now.

Lucifall

Knight

mantorras;446926 said:
I don't understand the reason of the 5, the 4 is untrue ( It has already helped creating new technology, pretty much like what happens with Nasa, and it could contribute to a really important cientific breaktrough, 3 and 2 are almost impossible.
Or if you were goofing around I will shut up now.

Don't be foolish. I'm sure you understood 5.

mantorras

Sorceror

Lol no I don't, I have been there ;)

Edit- Now I see he made funneh, did a one nighter yesterday forgive me.

mantorras;446938 said:
Edit- Now I see he made funneh, did a one nighter yesterday forgive me.

Yeah, from the five option i really believe that 1st, 3rd or 4th are going to happen...

Being 4th the greater chance, 1st having a somewhat chance, and 3rd having a small chance.

But thats only a primary study on the singular effec of the first day of work.

Being the 1st option true, the chances of the 3rd happening increases a lot.

Its all mathematical, really :D

woodycook

Knight

I don't think they have actually collided any atoms yet, The successful first day was them just sending 1 atom through and seeing if it could make it all the way around the circle. Am I not correct?

This could be very similar to what people think will happen on 2012. (God forbid it doesn't, Ill finally just get out of college then) People think on 2012 all the planets in this galaxy might line up with a rather large black hole. Why wait until 2012 if we can make them? :)

Haha but no really, I think that we will end up with antimatter just as they speculate. We have already obtained anti-matter in the past but from what I last remember we only have like 23 atoms of it. (through years of work)

Now what we could do with anti-matter is certainly a good question. I'm sure lots of good (or terribly awful) things. :)

There are six experiments they are planning. The largest and the one that scares me the most is *ALICE*. They are going to try to reproduce a substance called quark-gluon plasma, which is believed to have been created by the big bang. And then they will watch it cool down and see what sort of particles it creates. Oh yeah... great fun. And we arn't done there kiddies, as additional nightmare fodder we have *ATLAS*. This is the experiment that will search for the Higgs boson, other dimensions and (joy!) dark matter. The other four are equally *maybe we should not be doing this*.

It's all well and good that we want to figure out how the universe was created. Yay for science. What concerns me is that the few scientists who are concerned that messing around with the sort of forces that created it might just have the unhappy byproduct of destroying it, arn't being taken very seriously.

Caine

UO Gamers: Demise Admin

CosmicCatastrophe;447687 said:
What concerns me is that the few scientists who are concerned that messing around with the sort of forces that created it might just have the unhappy byproduct of destroying it, arn't being taken very seriously.

There are always people for and against things. I am sure the scientists working on the LHC don't want to destroy the world anymore than those that oppose it. I am sure they have considered everything and feel that the chances of something catastrophic happening are quite low.

If we never took a chance on something because someone opposed it we would still be in the dark ages.

Caine;447853 said:
I am sure they have considered everything and feel that the chances of something catastrophic happening are quite low.

Theres the deal, feeling doesnt go to well with science.

If they are real scientists, they can just "wait and see" for something to happen...

Probably they already have an idea of whats going to happen. And that seriously concerns me...

Its not like the world is a shinny place of fairys and happiness... Lets just hope this does not turn out to be another weapon.

If it does, ima go buy myself a shotgun.

GM Nestor

Sorceror

My guess, in the long run, those discoveries will help us travel further and live longer... like the Aliens :)

Two Wolves

Knight

The LHC is designed to collide two counter rotating beams of protons or heavy ions. Proton-proton collisions are foreseen at an energy of 7 TeV per beam.

TeV stands for tera electron Volts. That is 10^12 or 1,000,000,000,000 electron Volts. 1 eV = 1.6 x 10^-19 Joules

1 TeV is about the energy of motion of a flying mosquito.

pbguy434;448006 said:
If the world blows up, who cares? No one will be left to care.

You don't really know...

No one can be shure about what comes next...

Maybe we all poof, maybe we all burn... Kinda hard to go to heaven tho