UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Demise QnA (Feb 16, 2009)

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Demise QnA (Feb 16, 2009)

Question #1
Who was the very first creator? Like... who coded and thought of everything and how little did demise start off? Was Asyre a part of the original coding and server build up?

PSZ offered up the "short version" for you all:
On May 5th, 2003 I re-opened my old shard (which originally dated back to 1999). This shard was hand spawned (and mostly hand-decorated) by me, for use as a test bed for AOS features on Vanilla RunUO. The whole point was to get AOS features working with a default RunUO install, so that admins wouldn't have to tear their hair out trying to get things to work. The name of the shard was ShardUDIC (The name stuck from my old shard).

After it had been running very smoothly for over a year, I'd become a regular on the RunUO forums, and a staffer for UOGamers (It wasn't called Hybrid yet).

A few months later, Ryan asked me to make an AOS shard for the RunUO team, so I converted all the spawners to MegaSpawners, exported them all, and imported them onto a nearly blank server (Ryan had already started it up, and it had a few players wandering around doing nothing).

For the first month or so, there was another admin whose job it was to spawn T2A. There were also one or two GMs/CNS' for answering pages, while I continued to spawn.

UOGamers: Demise was supposed to be AOS, and nothing further. SE came about out of my personal boredom (and the desire to have a public shard running at least partial SE on the SAME DAY SE was released on OSI).

ASayre is actually the third Main Admin. I was the first. When I initially retired, I put Q [Quantos] in charge. When he had his back issues, I came back for awhile then handed the reigns over to ASayre.
Question #2
Will we ever get updated vet rewards?
Absolutely ... but (there is always a but, right?) we have one coder working on Demise and he is doing the best he can. Work has been done in the past to gather information about vet rewards. One of the main goals before moving into Mondain's Legacy is getting the current code up-to-date. You have to remember that the code used for Demise doesn't just have to work for Demise - it has to work for every person who downloads the source code and starts their own server.

Question #3
Why does arcane clothing work with mage and not necro?
This is a known bug and has been reported to Asayre. On the paid servers, the arcane clothing does work with necro and in the future, it will be the same on Demise. We just ask for a little patience in getting this taken care of.

Question #4
What is the UO experience of staff in terms of years played?
Great question! I personally began playing on the paid services when AOS came out (2003?) so you can mark me down for 6 years. CNS Nestor has been playing almost as long at 5 years. Xavier is at the same mark as me, playing approximately 6 years as well. Athena actually started playing UO almost 2 years ago and started out on Demise which is contrary to the majority of the rest of the staff that started on paid servers. Serenity is also a 2 year UO vet. Belros though, he started playing back with Third Dawn.

Ferris, Naddict, and Caine have been playing on and off for 11 years each. According to Ferris, "A few of my friends and I bought the pre-order pack that came with some other goodies aside from the cloth map, I think I still have the key chain somewhere." Now, PSZ, he marked himself down as playing a combined one year; however, he has spent over 10 years doing OSI-Data Gathering, creating/coding, and staffing.

As you can see, each of us began playing on different servers and at different times, opening ourselves up to a broad knowledge base in how the game has evolved since its creation.

Question #5
What is each individual staff member's favorite thing to do in game when they are not staffing?
Just like the previous question, there is some major diversity in what we like to do. So, I'll just post it by name (alphebetically) and what each answered with. Now, just because a person isn't listed doesn't mean they hate the questions. Its just that they didn't get an answer in by the time I posted this. If they answer, I'll update the questions (simply cuz I can).

Athena: I like bashing things and I like to do the quests/story arcs.

Belros: Selling or Trading items on a Vendor :) I love to sell.

Caine: PvP/champ spawns

Crimson: I actually like to do things that require being alone. I like hunting paragons, fishing, and crafting. Felucca is not out of the question but I have to be in the mood to PvP.

Ferris: The astounding bard! In honesty, aside from convincing people they want to play a pure bard, I like to be "this guy I saw one time" with any number of good things behind it, remember my actions, forget my name.

Naddict: Champ Spawns

Nestor: make some order in my houses/customize and help out new people

psz: Non-Assisted, Vanilla PvM and Crafting.

Serenity: Wander around trying not to die.

Xavier: smash things? try to win uo again?!? :D My very favorite thing to do on UO was always run about and explore but seriously, with the exception of tokuno (and tokuno isnt all that), I could draw a map of the world in my sleep now.....

-----------------------------------------​
Interested in asking a question? Email uoladycrimson (at) yahoo (dot) com. Please do not ask questions about ML.

Dilly

Knight
Re: Demise QnA (Feb 16, 2009)

I challenge xavier to the drawing challenge.. other than tokuno or malas ;O

Naddict, Caine, wanna spawn sometime? :p

I'm always curious how many times I've pk'd or faught each one of the staff that say they PVP here. Always curious if I'm in their bad or good books when it comes to fel. :p

I miss Quantos. Has anyone been in contact with him as of late? I used to spend hours just BSing with him for hours on IRC. Even talked on the phone a time or two think i lost his number though.

Pont

Knight

ParagonDancer;517091 said:
I'm always curious how many times I've pk'd or faught each one of the staff that say they PVP here. Always curious if I'm in their bad or good books when it comes to fel. :p
Me too :confused: lol..... But I doubt they'd hang around Brit Gate with all the BAD company there ;).

Achri

Wanderer

I still have my cloth map/key chain in a box somewhere. Will Ferris be my friend?

Zabimaru

Wanderer

I really like this QnA thing. Great job LC. I think I will sent my Q next time too. ^_^

gilgamash

Knight

LadyCrimson;516943 said:
Will we ever get updated vet rewards?
Absolutely ... but (there is always a but, right?) we have one coder working on Demise and he is doing the best he can. Work has been done in the past to gather information about vet rewards. One of the main goals before moving into Mondain's Legacy is getting the current code up-to-date. You have to remember that the code used for Demise doesn't just have to work for Demise - it has to work for every person who downloads the source code and starts their own server.

Hm, I remember having shown interest in helping out coding and offered doing so - but the coder seems to have hermetically sealed himself without wanting any help. At least there never has been a reply. What more to say?

G.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

gilgamash;518096 said:
Hm, I remember having shown interest in helping out coding and offered doing so - but the coder seems to have hermetically sealed himself without wanting any help. At least there never has been a reply. What more to say?

G.

Coding for RunUO is more so than just showing an interest and saying "hey, I can do that" - becoming a RunUO dev is practically impossible, or so I've heard - and they will not just allow someone to code and drop it in. If they use outside code, it has to pass (I think) 2 dev members inspection.... then of course it all has to be loaded and tested to make sure it plays nice with the rest of the code and will work as part of the core code..... So, its not a open and shut matter with taking on an unknown coder. It's a big issue that could impact all of RunUO.

gilgamash

Knight

Dear LC,

I am well aware of that and I think it is comparable to all kind of big development projects... And I would not just have been a 'drop-in' coder :)

Atb,
G.

psz

Administrator

blajban;517785 said:
Q had back issues? Personally i think Ryan just lifted him off the shard.

Well, you're wrong :-P

He had major back surgery, came back for a bit, had more issues, and left.

(Don't spread rumours :-P)

Besides, Ryan hasn't had any input into staff hirings/assignments since I was hired (though he did approve of ASayre as my replacement). If Ryan had anything to do with staff, we probably wouldn't have had some of the people we have.... Isn't that right? ;->

blajban

Sorceror

psz;518324 said:
Well, you're wrong :-P

He had major back surgery, came back for a bit, had more issues, and left.

(Don't spread rumours :-P)

Besides, Ryan hasn't had any input into staff hirings/assignments since I was hired (though he did approve of ASayre as my replacement). If Ryan had anything to do with staff, we probably wouldn't have had some of the people we have.... Isn't that right? ;->

Well i wouldnt really know. Ryan doesnt put much faith in Q in the last post in the thread i posted. Maybe the back surgery was convenient? :)

psz

Administrator

Nah, Ryan just loves me ;->

As for the back: Trust me, it wasn't convenient for ANYone.

(I had to Un-Retire, reshuffle staff, hire/fire people, etc and Q... Was in traction :-P)