UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Complete PvP Guide - UOGamers -

Tsabu

Wanderer
Complete PvP Guide - UOGamers -

Ok, I have been asked by a lot of new players and new duelers about the templates, style, and forms of PvP.

As we all know, UOgamers provides us with a very unique and special dueling system. This attracts many players interest into the world of PvP.

In this short guide, I will try to elaborate on the style of PvP and help you reach your maximum PvP potential.

1. Introduction
2. Interface
3. Duel Rules
4. Ranking System
5. Mage PvP
6. Advanced Mage PvP (Secrets and tricks)
7. Honor
8. Conclusion
9. Vocabulary

1. Introduction

Welcome to the world of PvP.

This is Tsabu, a veteran mage duelist. I am nowhere near the top PvPer but I do have the knowledge to provide new and novice duelists reach their maximum potential by reading this guide.

This guide will help you learn about the world of PvP and help you adapt the different techniques in PvP.

I wish you all good luck and remember, the 2 most important rules in PvP is to have fun and respect your opponent.

Always keep in mind, practice makes perfection!

2. Interface

PvP can be carried out in many forms: field, 1vs1, 2vs2, 3vs3, 4vs4, ... free for all.

In this guide, we will strictly focus on 1vs1.

The world of PvP sets in 8 duel arenas:

1. Delucia Pond
2. Devils Playground
3. Island of Souls
4. Mountain Bluff
5. Pit of Despair
6. Small Marble
7. Snowy Death
8. The Sand Pit

In order to reach these locations, there are two methods commonly used.

1. You may challenge or be challenged, from anywhere in the world of UO, for a duel. If you and your opponent both agree to the fight, you will randomly be teleported to one of the duel arenas for your fight.

2. You may not wish to duel yet only spectate the fights of others. This is possible by walking east of Delucia bank and Delucia Pond is a screen away from the East Gate of Delucia.

Note: Remember that any of the spectating corner in these Duel Arenas are safe. No one is able to perform any beneficial or harmful act towards anyone at all times. This is the reason why Delucia Pond is commonly used for Macroeing / Trading valuable items that are non blessed.

I have previously mentionned that you may or may be challenged by anyone for a duel anywhere in the world of UoGamers. This task is simply done by saying
"I wish to duel" and targetting the player you wish to fight.
Remember that if you have your duel option screen open, no other players may target you for a duel.
If you do not wish to fight when challenged upon, you can simply click the
I do not wish to fight button and politely turn down the challenge.

3. Duel Rules

Once you open the duel option screen, you will see that there are many options.

Rules
Start
Add Participant
Player 1:
Player 2:

Rules is where you set your rules for this fight. Remember that every time you challenge someone your rules will be set back to basic rules, which is Mage 5x.
This means that in this fight, you will only be able to use 5 of your skills that is determed as basic mage skills: Magery, Meditation, Evaluating Intelligence, Magic Resist, Wrestling. I will elaborate this in point forms.

Mage 5x:
-Skills- Magery, Meditation, Evaluating Intelligence, Magic Resist, Wrestling
-Weapons- N/A
-Armor- Cloth or Leather made (No special leather IE Barbed)
-Potions- N/A
-Pets- N/A
-Items- N/A

Mage 7x:
-Skills- Magery, Meditation, Evaluating Intelligence, Magic Resist, Wrestling,
Inscribe / Poisoning / Anatomy / Tactics
-Weapons- N/A
-Armor- Cloth of Leather made
-Potions- N/A
-Pets- N/A
-Items- Bandaids and Trapped Containers

Standard 7x:
-Skills- All Skills involving in a fight. No Stealing/Hiding/Stealth/Snooping
-Weapons- All weapons (Including Magic weapons and Poisoned weapons)
-Armor- All types of armor including magic armor
-Potions- Refresh
-Pets- N/A
-Items- Bandaids and Trapped Containers

Remember that no field spells, summon spells, paralyze, or area effect is allowed.

If you wish, you may alter these rules by choosing Mage5x, Mage7x, Standard7x, and then clicking on Custom.

Start is the button you click when the rules are set and your opponent has been chosen.

Add Participant is used to increase the number of duelists / teams. We will not go in dept with this for we are stictly focussing on 1vs1.

Player1: is the player who has first initiated the duel where as
Player 2: is the player who receives the challenge.

If you are the one who initiated the duel, you must press Player 2 and press the button beside Empty under Players and target your opponent to add him to your fight. We will ignore the Team Size1 Option for this is used only in team duels.

After you have added your opponent, you may simply right click on the window to return back to the main duel window.

4. Ranking System

The ranking system provides you an instant-up-to-date ladder system for duelists. Remember that only 1vs1 duels made through I wish to duel system will affect the rankings. 2vs2 and Team Duels will not affect the rankings in any matter.

You will see in Britain and in Delucia Pond two bulletin boards that shows you the top 150 duelists on this shard. It will keep the record of their level, their wins and their losses. Not everyone can be in the top 150, therefore, you may check your ranking anytime by saying:
showladder
Note that you will not be able to track your wins and losses (unless performed manually) until you are in the top 150. You will only be provided with your level and ranking.

Everyone starts at level 1 and they will gain experience as they win duels. It goes the same way around as you lose duels, you will lose experience. Note that if you fight duelists at levels a lot higher than you will gain that much more experience as opposed to fighting someone levelled lower than you. At some point, if your level is too high compared to your opponent, you will not gain any experience and your wins will not be recorded.

The best thing to do is fight opponents around your level, but you cannot possibly tell how your opponent ranks just by looking at them. To assist you with this problem, UOGamers has implemented a code for you to view any other players ranks by saying:
viewladder and you just target whomever you wish to see.

5. Mage PvP

Now our common knowledge tells us no matter what, a mage requires
Magery, Meditation, Evaluating Intelligence, Wrestling, and Magic Resist.

Now we know that there are 2 skill spots available. This spot could be filled with endless possibilites. A popular one would be taming and lore but that is not a PvP mage therefore taking the non pvp skills out, we are left with:
Poisoning
Healing
Anatomy
Tactics
Inscribe

Poisoning - Your poison which only does a lvl 1 -2 poison will go up to 3-4
(more damage, harder to cure, more chance of disrupt)
Healing - Lets you heal yourself with the use of bandages (very helpful)
Anatomy - This is required if you have healing, plus with anatomy + wrestling, you can perform stuns which paralyzes your opponent for 3 seconds (powerful)
Tactics - Increases chance of wrestle disrupt (not so popular)
Inscribe - Faster meditation, Longer Protective Spells, Increases magery (useful)

Whichever skill you choose depends on your preference of fighting style. I suggest you don't go with tactics for now because tactics is very hard to use.
(Most people consider tactics useless, yet, I have seen amazing duelists with tactics who will disrupt you everytime at your essential moment)

I will now describe the 2 popular templates

Healer Mage:
-Magery, Meditation, Eval Int, Wrestling, Magic Resist, Anatomy, Healing

Nox Mage:
-Magery, Meditation, Eval Int, Wrestling, Magic Resist, Poisoning, Anatomy / Inscribe

Whichever you choose they are very both powerful.
Some people dislike the useage of stun for they consider it skilless, but it is an approved skill and the top rankers mostly are stunners. (I am in no way implementing that higher the rank the better you are, I am just stating a fact)

6. Advanced Mage PvP (Secrets and tricks)

Now that you have some knowledge of Mages and PvP, lets go a little more in debt.

A Nox mage, which has poisoning for a skill, does a level 3 or level 4 poisoning.
This takes out a big portion of your opponents hp and disrupts their casts.
The goal of a nox mage is to poison their foe and kill him preventing this poison to be cured off. A Nox mage usually stays close to their opponent during their dump / attack to disrupt their opponents cast with poison and wrestling. The combination of poison and energy bolt is very hard to fight off against a nox mage for the poison is great as is the energy bolt. If the opponent manages to cure it off, a Nox mage is quick to poison his target again. But watch out, if you just keep poisoning over and over in a manner of a chain reaction, example:
In Nox, In Nox, In Nox
You will not be respected by your fellow duelers for this is considered "Chain Nox"
Two poisons in a row is acceptable.

Remember a Nox Mage can also have anatomy for its 7th skill. If you do have anatomy, as previously mentionned, anatomy+wrestling=Stun. Stun is a very powerful move in the game. It freezes its opponent for 3 second, making him unable to move nor cast. Stun macro can be set at the macro option menu, and it is considered as Secondary Ability.

A Healer Mage on the other hand concentrates more towards defense unlike the offensive Nox Mage. A well trained Healer Mage is considered almost impossible to defeat. The Healer Mage's key survival is based on its healing. The combination of bandaids and defensive spells makes its opponent mana run out without any casualty.

A Healer Mage is required to have anatomy, therefore, it can also use Stun.
A Healer Mage who may not be as strong in offense can use the stun to freeze his opponent and perform massive damage before his opponent can cast or move again.

Tips:

In most duels, a mage will start off by casting two spells.
Weaken - Des Mani
Clumsy - Uus Jux

This helps in
1. Disrupts the opponent to get the fast dump on you
2. Weakens their health and stamina by as much as 14 with such fast and low mana costing spell

Remember that you can only get your opponents stats down to where it is one level below its normal stats, which means, if your opponent's health is at 80, and you weaken them, weaken will only work to 66. Anywhere below will be a waste of your mana and reagents.

This combination is usually followed by two different methods. We will discuss about the offensive method first.

Offensive

If you are the one who is dumping / attacking first, followed by those two spells, you have the path to choose poison or explosion.

You may choose to poison (and this is strongly recommended if you are a Nox Mage) and follow it by explosion. This will take more of your opponents health down also at the same time giving you free Explosion casting time. Your explosion can be followed by another poison, energybolt, weaken, lightning, harm, or even magic arrow.

The obvious purpose of energybolt is to produce massive damage. The combination of explosion and enerybolt will take your opponents health down to 3/7. But beware, this combination is powerful yet slow so your opponent may have already casted greater heal.

The purpose of poison is to block your opponents healing while doing more damage. As long as your opponent is poisoned, you have your time to attack and produce more damage. When your opponent cures, you can poison him again and attack him with another damage causing spell.

Lightning, harm, weakn and magic arrow takes the complicated part. It is also very hard to perform and requries a lot of timing practice. This combination is purely to get in the extra damage followed by explosion + the disrupt of your opponents heal cast. This disrupt grants you time to cast poison before your opponent can cast a heal which then you can cast another damage causing spell. This once again requries a lot of timing practice.

Remember that energy bolt is the big damage maker, yet when your opponent's health is low, you may want to cast Lightning. The reason is lightning casts a lot faster than energy bolt which gives a lot less time for your opponent to heal.

In case of poison, about mid-life, you can cast energy bolt, but it is also very effective to mix harm, magic arrow, lightning, weaken to disrupt your opponents cure and go for the extra time to produce more damage.

Stun takes a whole different aspect, for you have 3 seconds to cast whatever you wish on your opponent until he is able to cast or move again. Most mages will cast explosion, run to their opponent, stun, and cast another explosion and poison to prevent the healing once your opponent is able to move and cast again. Yet Stun has endless possiblities and every situation differs for the purpose of Stun. Although not liked by some, Stun can even be used defensivelly. I suggest you do not do that though, for you will not get much respect.

Secrets and Tricks:

Here is the big part where a lot of you new and novice duelers must take notes.

In duels, an opening is made by explosion. The reason is explosion hits your opponent 2 seconds after it is casted, which gives you 2 second to perform another spell. There is a trick called Fast Cast which enables you to strike your opponent with your 2nd spell before your explosion hits him/her. This is done by holding the explosion spell while being casted for about 1-2 seconds. So basically your holding down your left mouse button right as you hit your explosion macro.

There is the famous disrupt trick with wrestling. When your opponent is casting, if you run up against them, you have a big chance of disrupting their spell which causes you to cast your spell faster. Remember this is a lot harder on spells that have fast cast rate. If you practice a lot, you will learn that disrupting them almost at then end of their cast will result in a longer disrupt time meaning they will have to wait longer to be able to cast again.

The big trick for Healer Mages and their bandage timing is in Razor. All you need to input is {bandage} and you will be able to get your bandage time correct. It takes 14 seconds with a decent dex amount. Healing and timing involves practice.

Make sure you balance your stats. If you think your opponent has an unbalanced stat, meaning very high strength, intelligence, but very low dex, use the Mind Blast Spell. It is a very powerful spell against unbalanced stat users for it does a lot of damage, it is very fast, and is cheap on mana.

Food is essential. You can eat during your duel. If you keep your character to a good nuitrition base, you will do a lot more damage, have a higher success casting rate, and it will recover your stamina. This is a must against macers who will drain your stamina and essential for stunners.

7. Honor

Remember, dueling is all about fun and respecting your opponent. Just because you have beaten someone does not mean you have the right to go shove it at their face. Losing and winning is both part of the duel. Just because you have lost does not make your opponent the better player and just because you have won does not make YOU the better player either.

Before starting, wish them good luck and to have fun. In the arena, bow to them before the wall is taken down.

If by any mean one runs out of reg, be nice to offer them a few regs to last them until the end of the duel or let them get regs from their friends / spectators. Do not think its your chance to dump and attack him.

If you win, tell them you had fun and had a good fight.
If you lose, tell them you had a good fight. Improve yourself, and go challenge him again.

Respect your opponent, and you will be respected. The only way to get better is through losing... remember that.

8. Conclusion

I hope this helped you in learning about Mage PvP and hopefully in your dueling techniques.

No matter how anyone inputs in text form, the best way to learn PvP is to watch others fight and experience it yourself in the arena.

I wish you good luck and hopefully, I will see you one day in the arena!

9. Vocabulary

Nox Mage = Mage who has poisoning as a skill
Healer Mage = Mage who has healing as a skill
Stun Mage = Mage who has stun as a skill
Chain Nox = A chain of poison, usually consecutive poison of 3+
Rupt = A disrupt caused by a spell or wrestling
Rupter = Someone who constantly disrupts their opponent to prevent their attack
Dump = Your offense / attack until your mana runs out
Stunner = A player who stuns
Dexxer = One who has a lot of dex, usually fencers / hybrids
n00b = newbie or new player
Joo = Jew (Racial slur)
Nigga = Negro (Racial slur)
PWND = Owned
Spar = Duel
5x = Mage 5 skills
7x = Mage 7 skills or Standard 7x

jinxycat

Wanderer
pretty bad guide for a newbie, contains false information, and doesnt help them understand the basics of pvp, you just talk about templates which are obvious, and tell them to start off with explosion every time..

not a good guide, if you want to teach a newbie pvp you need to go help him in game or get a good guide..

for you newbies out there i suggest tapion's mage pvp guide on powergamers, its long but its made by a real uo vet who was one of the best in the game

http://www.uopowergamers.com/e-pvptapion.shtml

Tsabu

Wanderer
Hey I may be wrong, this is my first guide ever so correct me will you?
It would be greatly appreciate it.

And this guide is strictly based on UOGamers, not Ultima Online in general.
Everything there is according to UOGamers stats, spell timers, and effect.

tical-hybrid

Sorceror
I like the aspect you took on the topic. I completely left the duel system out of mine, just didn't come to mind when i was writing it. I don't think its all around bad for newbies either.

jinxycat

Wanderer
well you fixed it its better now, you still have the fastcast timer wrong and im not sure what else i havent really read this just skimmed it, but atleast you put more time and effort in it the second time around

fastcast timer is 2.2 seconds

Even if the information was not totally correct, I salute you for your effort in trying to help out the newer players. I am one of them, and will try some of the tricks out

*salute*

I personally could not write a guide [even if it was wrong]. I lack the writing skills to do that.

Daydree

Wanderer
Nice Guide .... Thank's much!!!

I was wondering ... are "Roach mages" any good on this servor? I've always wanted to make one, for some time on Baja they were VERY popular and VERY hard to kill!

It's not a bad guide. I don't think anyone could do it without being flamed by someone, everyone's going to make some sort of mistake or say something that someone else doesn't agree with.

Re: Complete PvP Guide - UOGamers -

Tsabu said:
Food is essential. You can eat during your duel. If you keep your character to a good nuitrition base, you will do a lot more damage, have a higher success casting rate, and it will recover your stamina. This is a must against macers who will drain your stamina and essential for stunners.

Not true, According to staff Food has no effect on anything but stam.

Re: Complete PvP Guide - UOGamers -

yes, the uopowergamers guide link in the first page e-tapion is much nastier than this guide and more accurate

please move this to the new join forum