UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Account security reminder...

R

Ryan

Account security reminder...

It's that time again...

The UO Gamers staff has recently uncovered a person who has been logging into a lot of accounts on the server. There was really no harm done, however we talked with a lot of the players affected by this and they all played on another free shard.

We have reason to believe another shard has either intentionally or accidentally compromised their account file.

We implore you to do the following:

1. Register your account with the email system
  2. change your passwords
  3. do not share your accounts

We have no hard evidence of this and we are pointing no fingers but you should know it is possible for some shards to read your passwords in plain text. Do not use common passwords, or a "universal" password you use everywhere for any free shard including this one.

We use a very secure encryption system to store your account information. Accounting is done on a server that does not have public internet access so its secure from the world.

M

Mark

Re: Account security reminder...

Ryan speaks the truth.

We use an encrypted account file on Hybrid, your passwords are not visible to us (or anyone) no matter what. Unfortunately, some other shards choose not to encrypt their account files and use the information you sign up with to steal your accounts and items on other shards.

Take Ryan's advice, never 'recycle' passwords between shards, and NEVER share account information.

R

Ryan

Over 500 accounts where compromised by a single IP.

That SCREAMS account file abuse.

Lynyrd

Knight

How many IPs would you consider "normal" to have been logged onto your account?

Kira

Wanderer

Just a reminder on how to change your password in game.

Type [account in game to register your account.
Check your email that you used to register. You'll receive a confirmation code to enter in game to confirm your registration.
Once you've entered the code type [account again to change your password.

Gimly-hybrid

Wanderer

Ryan said:
Over 500 accounts where compromised by a single IP.

That SCREAMS account file abuse.

Would it be a good idea to request periodic password changes? Many businesses running networks require this to take place. From month to month, some computer users do not have the same password. If an individual's password is identified as being weak, perhaps they should be required to change it for the benefit of the entire network. I'm not certain if there is a policy in place re: passwords, but some people likely have passwords so easy to break. Dictionary words can be easily broken, even peoples names.

Kira

Wanderer

Gimly said:
Would it be a good idea to request periodic password changes? Many businesses running networks require this to take place. From month to month, some computer users do not have the same password. If an individual's password is identified as being weak, perhaps they should be required to change it for the benefit of the entire network. I'm not certain if there is a policy in place re: passwords, but some people likely have passwords so easy to break. Dictionary words can be easily broken, even peoples names.
If someone has a password that is easy to guess it isn't going to hurt anyone other than him if someone figures out his password. There's really no reason for us to force people to change their passwords. It's just a really good idea to do so after something like this happens.

bballerjess

Wanderer

I took the advice and changed my password, but unfortunately I made it something too long to be able to type into the UO login... So now I cannot login. What the crap do I do now?

Adian

Wanderer

It's always a good rule of thumb to use a password that is littered with numbers AND letters to prevent unwanted intrusion.

Bad passwords: password, left, hi, etc.
Good passwords: m204mdla0201, canttouchdisrifklol103p, etc.

I usually use different passwords when I try other shards...
You can't be too careful.

Diabo

Wanderer

vance said:
I took the advice and changed my password, but unfortunately I made it something too long to be able to type into the UO login... So now I cannot login. What the crap do I do now?

Download Krrios Client (Play UO). With it you will be able to type longer passwords.

Flipper

Knight

vance said:

Hahah sorry that's funny... do as Fain said, log in with krrios client, change your password.

If you want some help, PM me.

Guys, this is good to remember when considering any kind of "registering" on the internet. Stealing account info on a game is one thing and still very serious and painful to the victims, but the same thing can happen anywhere else. Many people register at websites with their e-mail address and choose a password that is the same as the password on their e-mail account. Once on your e-mail, they can scan for bank accounts, credit cards, etc and using the same username and password you just registered with them, access those accounts as well. Be smart, be safe, and don't be a victim.

Flipper said:
Hahah sorry that's funny... do as Fain said, log in with krrios client, change your password.

If you want some help, PM me.

Flipper called Fyle Fain on the forums.

Say that out loud.

Calthness

Wanderer

I'm login in to change my password only to see that someone else has done it before me.........
Now I can't log in with no one of my three account... I have created a forth account and I have visited my house only to see that someone has changed its name....
Now, there's no way to save my three accounts? I must only accept that this is happened???

selo

Wanderer

lol i hacked my friends account. but he knows. now i can steal his ethy llama.

On a more serious note, Staff, thank you for all you do. No really.