UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

0.9999... = 1?

0.9999... = 1

• yes

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • no

Votes: 103 68.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 0.9999... = 1?

Dead Head E-Mart said:
this thread is worthless and youre all dumb for trying to argue this its all conceptual and .9 repeating will never be one and it will never be anything less than .9 repeating

.9999999 cm < .9999999 m

Lynyrd

Knight

If you think .9999... = 1, you can't grasp simple rules of mathematics. Even to say .9999 is close to 1 is to make a large unwise inference, simply because the unit of measurement isn't given.

rjjb

Wanderer

Sloth-hybrid said:
I'll rest my case if somone can tell me the average of .9... and 1.

If an average could be computed (and it cannot be), it would theoretically be 0.999...5, but you can't compute the exact average because you can never get to the point of tacking on the final '5'.

But of course, even this opens up a can of worms.. 0.999...5 is intuitively less than 0.999... and the average should be between 0.999... and 1 (and thus greater than 0.999...). The thing of it is, in order to take an average, you have to have a finite number, so the 0.999... has to be terminated, and any terminated decimal number can have any number of zeros tacked on the end. So now it should be clear why 0.999...5 is theoretically the average, since it's half way between 0.999...0 and 1.0. And it is only the theoretical average if you allow mathematical operations on the theoretical limit (immediately beyond the leading edge) of infinity without computing the infinite space itself..

I'm not a math major, fwiw.. This debate really is summed up as simply as 'one... not one..', but anyhow.. you didn't accept that. So.. still with me? ;)

Lynyrd said:
If you think .9999... = 1, you can't grasp simple rules of mathematics. Even to say .9999 is close to 1 is to make a large unwise inference, simply because the unit of measurement isn't given.

qft

rjjb

Wanderer

Actually, you don't have to infer anything (certainly not a unit of measure) to say that 0.9999 is close to 1. 10^-4 is more than suffient for my understanding of 'close.' Space is relative.

Take planet Foo 9999 bly (billion light years) away and planet Bar 1 bly further past that (which would be 10000 bly). If someone was asking directions to Foo, I'd be perfectly confident in saying it's "off yonder, close to Bar" and provide a map.

Is a valence electron close to the nucleus just because there is a microscopic distance between them? Fact is, they are incredibly far apart relatively speaking. Current understanding of an atom is that it is mostly empty space. The nucleus is densely packed, but it's puny compared to the size of the atom itself.

Imagine a hydrogen atom as the SkyDome in Toronto - the nucleus is a marble in the middle of the field and the lone electron is a floating piece of dust somewhere on the outer edges. How close to the marble is the piece of dust, from the dust's perspective,if the dust could in fact perceive? ;)

rjjb said:
If an average could be computed (and it cannot be), it would theoretically be 0.999...5, but you can't compute the exact average because you can never get to the point of tacking on the final '5'.

But of course, even this opens up a can of worms.. 0.999...5 is intuitively less than 0.999... and the average should be between 0.999... and 1 (and thus greater than 0.999...). The thing of it is, in order to take an average, you have to have a finite number, so the 0.999... has to be terminated, and any terminated decimal number can have any number of zeros tacked on the end. So now it should be clear why 0.999...5 is theoretically the average, since it's half way between 0.999...0 and 1.0. And it is only the theoretical average if you allow mathematical operations on the theoretical limit (immediately beyond the leading edge) of infinity without computing the infinite space itself..

I'm not a math major, fwiw.. This debate really is summed up as simply as 'one... not one..', but anyhow.. you didn't accept that. So.. still with me? ;)

So you can't tell me the average then?

Lynyrd said:

Is that why math scholars argue it all the time because they can't grasp simple rules of math?

Pepsi_Rox said:
i already answered the question, a repeating decimal approximently equals the fraction

I think you’re wrong though and it's not like you’re a reputable source, no offense. If you want to post a link to a reputable source that says repeating decimals are approximant, it'll help your argument out.

It is strange, confusing and yes it gives me a migraine headache trying to figure it out but I am finding myself agreeing with YEW throughout this thread.

Pepsi_Rox

Knight

Sloth-hybrid said:
I think you’re wrong though and it's not like you’re a reputable source, no offense. If you want to post a link to a reputable source that says repeating decimals are approximant, it'll help your argument out.
if you dont know what approx equals means you shouldnt be starting a thread about math

Status
Not open for further replies.