UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Change this, Change that, Don't do that.. Fuck this, stupid staff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
I know it's been a long time since I've been on... having three kids pretty much back to back to back will do that to you. Most of you will likely learn that some day... My children are my life.

That said since the moment I publicly showed my face I've been bombarded with emails, IM's, DM's, PM's and pages with how to 'fix' the shard.

Can I just ask you something... what's really wrong with a shard that's been online for nearly eleven years and still can crack about 500 people online? Since when is that so bad? I mean sure if you compare it to when everyone was online and we were cracking 1500 without blinking you're right... it's not that great but the reality is that our player base is aging. They're actually going outside and doing things, having families and spending time on things other than UO.... but they always come back.

Just. Like. Me.

Guys UOGamers is the pantheon of Ultima Online Freeshards... it's existed for ages and we are still getting new players. That says something.

I know some things are broken, we all do... but the truth is that fixing broken things typically leads to pain for users and/or staff. We have to deal with the bitching when someone doesn't like a change etc...

Not everything is an obvious fix... it's not always black and white and quite frankly most changes on UOGamers come down to literal GAME DESIGN. Stuff that requires serious time, thought and skill to pull off. You can't make a massive change to the shard or the way that it has run for a decade on a whim. On the back side of running this shard we have immense amounts of data that we use to try to figure out impacts of changes. When we think about them we code in analytic gathering to help us better understand potential impact to you, the players, but also to the staff who volunteer their time.

I know you all want to arm chair how to fix the shard and mostly I welcome the ideas but I want you to realize it's not as simple as it seems. You get frustrated and pissed off and throw tantrums in game or on the forums because you think something is 'so easy' to fix. The reality is that no change is a simple change at this point. You're dealing with players who've literally been on this shard for more than 10 years:

3888.PNG

Think about that for a second and how much commitment that shows. There are people who've been dedicated since day one.

I am not in any way, shape or form minimizing the newer players... all I am asking is that as you suggest things or get frustrated, please put it into perspective that everything impacts everyone somehow.

We *will* be making changes, I've been over time for the last almost year working on stuff for Revelation but I am putting that entire project on the back burner and will be working with Suzy to make small, measured changes over time to help you have more things to do. My first project I'm going to take on is a new PVE element for the shard. What that might be we will see... perhaps a new dungeon etc...

But please, stop asking us for these huge change lists. They're not going to do anyone good and all that's going to happen is a massive flame war that's going to cause more turmoil. Let's talk about short term, obtainable objectives which have low risk and big, positive impact to the shard.

I hope this is something we can all agree on.

-Ryan

Silly Santa

Sorceror
Although my list I posted now was huge because theres a lot of things that are outdated (no offense) ... I don't think I posted all bad suggestions that were all unobtainable and not worthy of being addressed :(

Silly Santa

Sorceror
It was a list I was thinking of for a while.. I guess it was bad timing with me posting it now when you just came back because your getting bombarded with tons of messages.. cause now after me having spent so much time writing it up, it ended up getting insta locked :( .. unlike other peoples who didn't get insta locked and were able to get feedback from the community with their ideas/thoughts/suggestions/concerns ... but, I do suggest you look over it.. a lot of those things I said really could revive hybrid if they are addressed and taken into consideration.

- this comes from someone who started here almost 9 years ago.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
I mean, if you're going to remove my post, you might as well just ban me.

It's exactly what I'm talking about... you know better than us, you're smarter than us, we fucked you over... it's the exact drivel that caused this post. If I must ban you please let me know.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
It was a list I was thinking of for a while.. I guess it was bad timing with me posting it now when you just came back because your getting bombarded with tons of messages.. cause now after me having spent so much time writing it up, it ended up getting insta locked :( .. unlike other peoples who didn't get insta locked and were able to get feedback from the community with their ideas/thoughts/suggestions/concerns ... but, I do suggest you look over it.. a lot of those things I said really could revive hybrid if they are addressed and taken into consideration.

- this comes from someone who started here almost 9 years ago.

I heard what you said... I'm not ignoring it.

There's a lot of stuff that I do want to do... including removing gold from the donation store.

It all takes time...

Just bear with us... in general we typically do, do the right thing, just not always.

Vlek

Sorceror
But that shouldn't be the reason to NOT do something that would be constructive for the shard. How about trying to fix the economy? What about having event statistics for people like for duels? Oh, and you can't forget how the only viable pvp template is a stun alchy. There are other servers that are much, much younger than hybrid that have updated to what current UO players may want in a shard: achievements, statistics, more balanced pvp that allows for more viable templates, and an economy that isn't downright god awful. Yeah, you might be able to fudge your server numbers to Show that there are 400+ people on during the weekends, but there are shards, like UOForever, that're able to pull more people. In order for this shard to be competitive and, dare I say, fun, then there needs to be some updates.

Ryan

UOGamers Founder
Staff member
But that shouldn't be the reason to NOT do something that would be constructive for the shard. How about trying to fix the economy? What about having event statistics for people like for duels? Oh, and you can't forget how the only viable pvp template is a stun alchy. There are other servers that are much, much younger than hybrid that have updated to what current UO players may want in a shard: achievements, statistics, more balanced pvp that allows for more viable templates, and an economy that isn't downright god awful. Yeah, you might be able to fudge your server numbers to Show that there are 400+ people on during the weekends, but there are shards, like UOForever, that're able to pull more people. In order for this shard to be competitive and, dare I say, fun, then there needs to be some updates.

You obviously didnt even read what I said... it really sounds like you're just trying to advertise for another shard honestly.

Just one nugget:

Oh and one other thing for the record... the elite rare vendors I setup over the past 24 hours have removed more than 10 BILLION GOLD from the shard. That's a pretty big percentage of the liquid economy.

Vlek

Sorceror
You obviously didnt even read what I said... it really sounds like you're just trying to advertise for another shard honestly.

No, I absolutely HATE UOF. However, I cannot deny that its player stats are better than hybrids. Something ought to be done because, like you, I have an account that's got 3k+ days in the profile. I'd love to be able to log into hybrid again, play on an orc (melee only), and be able to say I had fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.