UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

[HOWTO] UO:Gamers on Linux (Debian/Ubuntu) + Assist UO

Do you feel this is a well written tut?

• Yes, Amazing!

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • It works, not the best though.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it was confusing and I didn't get it to work.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

BriarMoss

Sorceror
This guide is meant to be as easy to follow as possible with no steps left out.
This will work on *any* debian based OS including Ubuntu.
This should also work on any other Linux running Play On Linux.
This guide was tested on Ubuntu 13.04

Required files:

Ultima Online - Mundane's Legacy
[Will remove the need to patch the client and fixes snow filled maps issue]
http://download.cnet.com/Ultima-Online-Mondain-s-Legacy-client/3000-7540_4-10432237.html

AssistUO - Latest Version
http://www.runuo.com/products/assistuo

Wine+PlayOnLinux
Method 1: http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
Method 2: (Ubuntu) Open Software Center: Search PlayOnLinux --> Install

Installation:

Step 1 - Configure Wine + PlayOnLinux:
Open PlayOnLinux
Click on "Install"
On the new window that opens click "Install A Non-Listed Program" (lower left corner)
Click "Next" on the window that opens
Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive" then click "Next"
You can name it what you want. I picked "ultima" - minus the quotes. Click "Next"
Select "Use Another Version Of Wine" AND "Configure Wine" AND "Install Some Libraries"
On the window that appears chose "Wine 1.5.25" or later.
[This fixes the msvcp100.dll errors you get under earlier versions]
On the first window 'Configure Wine' you want to make sure "Windows XP" is selected.
Click OK.
On the 'Select Libraries' window you want to select "dotnet20" AND "mono28" AND "vcrun2010"
Click "Next" and let those libraries install themselves. May take a minute.

Step 2 - Installing Ultima Online
Play On Linux will ask you to pick an install file to run.
Pick UOML_setup.exe
[Let install finish. May lock computer during install. This is normal.]
[You do not need to select a short cut after install]
*DO NOT RUN ULTIMA ONLINE OR UPDATE THE CLIENT*
You may hit cancel once you reach the select shortcut screen.

Step 3 - Installing AssistUO
On the PlayOnLinux main screen select "Install" again.
Pick "Install A Non-Listed Program" again.
Click "Next"
Select "Install program in a new virtual drive"
Click "Next"
* When asked to type the name of the virtual drive in, use the same one as before.
[In this case, that name would be "ultima" without the "" marks]
Click "Next"
The selection screen to pick wine version, configure wine, and select libraries appears.
[Make sure NONE of them are selected and click "Next"]
The "please select file" dialogue box appears.
Click "browse" then navigate to AsssistUO_Latest.exe and select it.
Click "Next"
Finish the installation of AssistUO_Latest.exe
[On the final window DESELECT "Read instructions file" and click "Finish"]
[If you leave this selected PlayOnLinux will freeze until you close the "Instructions" file.]
PlayOnLinux will now ask you to create a shortcut. Select "AssistUO" from the list.
Click "Next"
PlayOnLinux will ask you to name the shortcut - this can be anything you'd like.
[I picked "UO:Gamers" as the name]
[This is the ONLY shortcut you need to make.]
You may now close the shortcut creation window.
*DO NOT RUN UO OR UOASSIST*

Step 4 - Running AssistUO and connecting to UO:Gamers
On the PlayOnLinux screen you now have a shortcut to UOAssist named as you chose.
Click on the shortcut, then click "Run" from the PlayOnLinux screen.
[You will get a "No updates found" notification. This is normal. Click "OK".
Client Options and Ultima Online should be left on "Auto Detect"
Select the server you'd like to play: Demise/Hybrid
Click "Start"
*UO WILL NOT RUN. THIS IS NORMAL*

Step 5 - Getting everything running. 'The fix'.
Completely exit out of PlayOnLinux.
Open PlayOnLinux
Select the shortcut you made for AssistUO and right click on it.
Click "Configure Wine"
Click the "libraries" tab
Click "New override for library" and select 'msvcr100' and click "ADD"
Select the newly added entry msvcr100 and click "Edit"
Pick "Builtin(Wine)" from the "Edit Override" menu.
Click "OK"
Click "Apply" then click "OK"

Step 6 - Run it.
Completely close PlayOnLinux and open it again.
Select your AssistUO shortcut and run it, select your server, click connect.
[You may need to do this ^ twice. First time updates, second time it runs]
[You only need to run it twice the first time around, after that it will run the first time]

NOTE: If it still does not work for you, then you need to force install a library update.
You can do this update via:
Configure button > (select virtual drive) > Install components tab > vcrun2010
PlayOnLinux will tell you it's already installed, ignore that and install it anyway.

Final notes:

Why PlayOnLinux?
POL is the cleanest and easiest to use front end (IMO) for Wine. It keeps things clean, and easy to use. For those who are not Linux experts this is very helpful.

Why Wine 1.5 or later?
This gives the best FPS and enables transparency on splash screens, makes everything look really nice and allows for the greatest compatibility. In some circumstances anything older than 1.5 will not even work.

What the heck is msvcr100?
This is inlucded in the vcrun2010 library by default, however sometimes the library needs updated on first install, hence the note at the end of the tutorial about force installing the library.

Why AssistUO and not Razor?
I still have not gotten Razor running during my tests. If you know a fix, let me know and if it works I will update the tutorial. Also, Razor is included in AssistUO so I do not see this as a 'loss'.

What about Sallos?
As sallos is not a standalone .exe file this may take a lot of work to get running. It is something I may investigate in the future. If you have a working fix, let me know and I will add it.

Madmatt

Sorceror
Great 'How to' man. Works good for me.
I have one simply question, how to start update? Im stuck with 4.0.11c patch, can't play on demise.

Lan420

Sorceror
OMG! UO is the only game that was preventing me from switching over to Linux. Thank you so much. I had no idea it was possible.

Hello :),
Everything working well till i enter in the game....
When i double click on my Character name to connect in i can go inside 1second then the client freeze and Crash/Close.
I tried with your method AssistUO & Razor. there is any fix on this ?
Peace _

T-_-Ip

Wanderer
Hello :),
Everything working well till i enter in the game....
When i double click on my Character name to connect in i can go inside 1second then the client freeze and Crash/Close.
I tried with your method AssistUO & Razor. there is any fix on this ?
Peace _
Know it is a bit old. But right click shortcut>config wine>graphics>disable allow windows to decorate. Got me past it when I was having that issue.

Bleedinghand

Wanderer
Followed the tutorial word for word. reinstalled vcrund 2010 unchecked everything that my window manager could control or change about the client and when attempting to login I am unable to go into the world. It is prompted with a box that is titled fatal error with the message being unknown packet.

I am using ArchLinux with the awesome window manager and am currently using the wine 1.7.51-1. Is there a suggested version I should be using (other than the >1.5 mentioned by the OP)?

Schism

Wanderer
Evening all,
Yes I am necro'ing this thread... but it is the first result on google when attempting to get UO to work with Linux.
I have successfully created an alternate method for installation that may assist other with their installation. I also wrote and automated OPEN-SOURCED script to do the dirty work for you.

My detailed instructions are held at: http://ultima-shards.com/forums/threads/34/
The shell script link is also available there.

Thank you original author (BriarMoss) for this wonderful post and allowing me to help you extend the possible support we give to the Linux UO Gamers!

-Schism

Schism

Wanderer
Cheat client? In what way?
Intentions are to provide aspiring UO players the ability to play the game. The script is entirely open-sourced, hosted publicly on github, documented with comments, a mere 226 lines long, and can be modified easily to fit anyone's needs.

Schism

Wanderer
@Schism So basically a cheat client?

good catch @tech. You're doing Ryan's work these days.
Either a good troll or I don't understand.

The client is pulled from EAMythic's official repo's so it is the base Ultima Client.
Location in source [Line 27] for the Client's download location: https://github.com/d0x1p2/scripts-sh/blob/master/install_uo.sh#L27

Hope you two are aware this is just a shell script (for LINUX users) to automate the sometimes troublesome WINE installation of Ultima Online and disable the "Let Window Manager Control Borders" to prevent the official client from crashing.

Regardless, Cheers. :D
- Schism

Last edited: