UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Drastic Times....

Stides40oz

Knight
SERVER WARS MAY 29 2011

and for comparisions
SERVER WARS JUNE 26 2009

I’m going to start making posts more like this because I care <3. In case you didn’t notice this shard is a shell of its former self and people need to realize enough is enough and it’s time for a change. This shard has had a long good life. TBH I don’t think there has ever been a UO shard that lasted this long without a wipe, at least not a player run shard. 8 years is a long time for a virtual world. It’s been a great time but everything must end eventually. I’m afraid this shards life is almost over. It’s on life support now and doesn’t have much time. It’s time to pull the plug. With a fresh wipe and many other changes I believe this shard could be back to pulling in 1500-2000 players a t all times. This is what I feel needs to be done to achieve these numbers.

1. Wipe the shard. Everything gets deleted. All your chars. All your possessions.

2. Wait two weeks. (Use this time for staff to make sure everything is working right, work out bugs, build up hype. It will get people craving for UO again when it opens)

3. Keep the same Hybrid algorithms for things like (spell damage, hit/miss, damage ranges, etc.) basically keeping the save feel as hybrid for the new shard. But if any tweaks were wanted to be done now would be the time (i.e. wands, purple pots, w/e people are crying about lately).

4. Miscellaneous Changes
(a) Remove T2A completely. More players over less landmass = more players interacting with each other.
(b) Allow murder counts to decay while offline.
(c) Make all dueling, poker or other Trammel zones off of the world map. This way people inside cannot interfere with PVP by pulling bars, or making plans from inside a safe haven.
(d) Kick every player that has been idle (hasn’t hit a key or mouse click) for the last 5 minutes right before handouts. This will insure that only people who are actually playing the game get a handout.
(e) Not really a gameplay change but revert to previous Vbulletin forums. People don't like dealing with weird unfamilar forums.

5. Remove Sallos. The playing field needs to be leveled for all players. None of this multiple client nonsense anymore. A shard with two clients just seems unprofessional and gimmicky to new players.

6. Make skill gain about two to three times as hard as it is now on hybrid. People like grinding characters. I think it gives the game a better feel, more like you have accomplished something. It also creates a better player 2 player buy/sell market reason being it will also reduce the chance of everyone having every kind of character possible.

7. Economics and Sustaining Good Economy
(a) Do not allow donating for gold. Other items are fine. ANYTHING BUT GOLD!!
(b) Do not have voting stones that give out gold. Do not have voting stones period.
(c) Lower the gold monsters drop by about 80%. (So a monster dropping 1000 gold, would drop 200 gold now)
(d) Drastically lower the rate at which vanqs and power and other high end magically equipment drop at. This creates more of a player 2 player blacksmith market. It will also give more incentive to join factions for use of runic items.
(e) Handouts are fun and great to get. But when you have people who just log in 4 accounts and sit afk trying to farm handouts you have a problem. See (4.d) game changes for solution.

8. Extra Fun Factor
(a) Daily events by staff. Every day would be something different but it would happen like clockwork. Everything from 1v1s to mazes. If people know when their favorite event is they will more likely participate. More players will keep playing after their event is over.
(b) Town control system. Create some kind of system where players can become “kings” of towns. They would be able to control if guards are on/off, taxes, regent vendors, etc.
(c) New faction system. Create some new kinds of scoreboards, with top 10 players of the week, month, etc. New faction rewards. Maybe craftable wands? Players need more incentive to guard sigils.

I’m sure I could think of a lot of other great ideas and I’m sure you guys could too. Let’s do this. It will be awesome I promise. And if the staff and some people are really against a wipe at least make a new shard like the one I’ve described. There is a huge interest in UO now that the Gamespy article came out and now is the time to capitalize. The other shard has 1520 people online right now and it’s a horrible, laggy, boring shard. Imagine how many people we would have if we made the shard I just described????

Love Hybrid. Been here for years. But could not agree more. I am 100% in favour of #'s 1 through 8

My biggest issue is that the economy is broken.

I think Hybrid has gotten it right on most issues but personally I would like to see:

I. No ethereal mounts (maybe only as donation/rare items)

II. No pet bonding.
  • I only play tamers so this is not me suggesting to nerf the template I just think it would promote a player run economy via buying and selling mounts.
  • It would make playing a pvp tamer much more challenging. I understand the counter-argument is that it would disadvantage PvM tamers but imho most players capable of taming/controlling multiple pets to kill high level mobs are equally capable of spamming 'all follow me' and recalling.
III. Being able to see speech of a character who is hidden without them becoming unhidden. Just for fun! I remember this from old OSI days!

Even without implementing a shard wipe I would be more than happy to play a runuo shard that had a similar layout to Hybrid but with a more balanced economy that encouraged player interaction.

Seven Jr

Sorceror
1 word, Divinity. A lot of people quit there including me. If you wipe the shard it's going to result in losing those who ACTUALLY donate to keep the server running. If you shut the server down for 2 weeks people are going to see it as time lost and quit as well, not everyone has time to start over again. 3, Divnity was supposed to be revamped and almost a year later they produced Revelation, now if you're ready for that than by all means wipe the shard. I would be on the train of quitsville and it isn't because I'm a cry baby, I just don't have time and after seeing what happened to Divinity I just don't think I could stomach it again, not to mention the hundreds of dollars I've donated since I've been back, granted they are donations but if they are to help keep a server up that I want to play, what's the point?

Stides40oz

Knight
1 word, Divinity. A lot of people quit there including me. If you wipe the shard it's going to result in losing those who ACTUALLY donate to keep the server running. If you shut the server down for 2 weeks people are going to see it as time lost and quit as well, not everyone has time to start over again. 3, Divnity was supposed to be revamped and almost a year later they produced Revelation, now if you're ready for that than by all means wipe the shard. I would be on the train of quitsville and it isn't because I'm a cry baby, I just don't have time and after seeing what happened to Divinity I just don't think I could stomach it again, not to mention the hundreds of dollars I've donated since I've been back, granted they are donations but if they are to help keep a server up that I want to play, what's the point?

Yea because there havent been any other shards that just started fresh and are pulling down 1500-2000 players as we speak? Obviously there are Ultima Online players out there who would like to start new. Just because you personally wouldnt want to take the effort to rebuild doesnt everyone else feels the same way. A donation is a donation and should be taken literally. I really don't think people are as selfish as you think they are. I think people would be happy to donate again on the new shard if it was better then the old. Divinity and revelation failed because it was always that other UOG shard the staff soon forgot about. Hybrid is the flagship. If Hybrid started fresh people would come back and play. In short, dont compared Hybrid to divinity.

Final question: If you were guaranteed to have a larger playerbase if the shard was wiped, would you rather keep your worldly possessions or enjoy a larger playerbase and an extended longevity to the shard?

Seven Jr

Sorceror
Yea because there havent been any other shards that just started fresh and are pulling down 1500-2000 players as we speak? Obviously there are Ultima Online players out there who would like to start new. Just because you personally wouldnt want to take the effort to rebuild doesnt everyone else feels the same way. A donation is a donation and should be taken literally. I really don't think people are as selfish as you think they are. I think people would be happy to donate again on the new shard if it was better then the old. Divinity and revelation failed because it was always that other UOG shard the staff soon forgot about. Hybrid is the flagship. If Hybrid started fresh people would come back and play. In short, dont compared Hybrid to divinity.

Final question: If you were guaranteed to have a larger playerbase if the shard was wiped, would you rather keep your worldly possessions or enjoy a larger playerbase and an extended longevity to the shard?

Actually I'm not the only one, I know players including pre-existing staff that refuse to come anywhere near a UOgamers shard anymore. And you're wrong, Ryan was the spear head of Revelation, he did not forget about it, he admitted to releasing it sooner than he should have. As soon as they said there potentially would be a wipe on Divinity people quit playing all together. You would log on and see people dropping everything they had and saying fuck it I'm out. And believe me when I say this, the people on Divinity were VERY loyal to that server as well. I still talk to many of the people that played that server who have either migrated to other shards or have just quit all together. And if you're referring to IPY of course it's going to pull numbers and you're WAY off on 1500-2000 players, I was there the other night to play with some old friends and after logging on and seeing 500 max and than to top it all off a crash and time warp lol. Yeah, stable, when's the last time that happened to Hybrid? People stick with Hybrid because it's stable, Ryan takes care of business to make sure that his people have a solid place to be.

He has done that with Demise, Divnity, Hybrid, and Revelations, not just "the flagship". And yes, a donation is a donation, but it's in order to continue playing a game in which you need to have possessions and continuously play in order to be anything here. It isn't like CoD where I can just log in and have everything I need to play for hours. So many people have invested money you could never get the majority of the shard to agree to a wipe, let alone all the pixels people have in game, you may be a strict PvPr and all you have is a house and regs, others have invested thousands of hours to obtain items they want to keep because they're proud and happy.

Servers may be pulling down high numbers but that NEVER lasts. Sure Hybrid was stable at 1000 even 800 when I first came back, but multiclienting takes that number down. You also need to remember that those numbers came from a few years back and have been dropping, people who had time to play now have careers, have kids, are doing other things. Those people who played here at the end of their teens early 20's. You need a new player base in order to get the numbers you're looking for, kids still in high school. And tbh, the maturity level around here sucks as it is already.

So to answer your question, as I've stated before, I would not come back even IF the pop is 1500-2000, it isn't worth it. I've got resources to play, my chars are built, if this server was to wipe I'd most def being peacing out.

uonoobs

Knight
you still havent explained how the shard wipe will bring us 1500-2000 players yet you guarantee it.
I just want some clarification how it works, " If Hybrid started fresh people would come back and play." doesn't really cut it.

good post but most of what you mentionned is already happening on another server, not that its better than hybrid but I think hybrid is doomed if somethings not happening
the screenshots you posted are kinda sad :x

uonoobs

Knight
So to answer your question, as I've stated before, I would not come back even IF the pop is 1500-2000, it isn't worth it. I've got resources to play, my chars are built, if this server was to wipe I'd most def being peacing out.

This is the case with most of the players, the hybrid playerbase is pretty much at the age where there are much more important stuff in our lives than online gaming. I log in because its easy to just hop on my player and pvp for an hour or so.
I dont think most of us would want to be bothered to grind stuff back on an online rpg

WarEagle

Page
you still havent explained how the shard wipe will bring us 1500-2000 players yet you guarantee it.
I just want some clarification how it works, " If Hybrid started fresh people would come back and play." doesn't really cut it.
When he and I went back and forth on this last time, he just told me that I was wrong and he was right.

The fact is, you cannot guarantee it. Its possible, but I don't know that its worth the gamble.

Death To You

Sorceror
The reason the server wars was so bad was because of the gm's doing the CuB update, they finished server wars early and they didn't set up res gates, reg stones or anything it was just like a normal 25 minutes. Last Sundays server wars was completely different. Also the pvp was at the sand pit.

uonoobs

Knight
The reason the server wars was so bad was because of the gm's doing the CuB update, they finished server wars early and they didn't set up res gates, reg stones or anything it was just like a normal 25 minutes. Last Sundays server wars was completely different. Also the pvp was at the sand pit.
yeah classic fearmongering always works when trying to make a point :D

Fides

Sorceror
SERVER WARS MAY 29 2011

and for comparisions
SERVER WARS JUNE 26 2009

I’m going to start making posts more like this because I care <3. In case you didn’t notice this shard is a shell of its former self and people need to realize enough is enough and it’s time for a change. This shard has had a long good life. TBH I don’t think there has ever been a UO shard that lasted this long without a wipe, at least not a player run shard. 8 years is a long time for a virtual world. It’s been a great time but everything must end eventually. I’m afraid this shards life is almost over. It’s on life support now and doesn’t have much time. It’s time to pull the plug. With a fresh wipe and many other changes I believe this shard could be back to pulling in 1500-2000 players a t all times. This is what I feel needs to be done to achieve these numbers.

1. Wipe the shard. Everything gets deleted. All your chars. All your possessions.

2. Wait two weeks. (Use this time for staff to make sure everything is working right, work out bugs, build up hype. It will get people craving for UO again when it opens)

3. Keep the same Hybrid algorithms for things like (spell damage, hit/miss, damage ranges, etc.) basically keeping the save feel as hybrid for the new shard. But if any tweaks were wanted to be done now would be the time (i.e. wands, purple pots, w/e people are crying about lately).

4. Miscellaneous Changes
(a) Remove T2A completely. More players over less landmass = more players interacting with each other.
(b) Allow murder counts to decay while offline.
(c) Make all dueling, poker or other Trammel zones off of the world map. This way people inside cannot interfere with PVP by pulling bars, or making plans from inside a safe haven.
(d) Kick every player that has been idle (hasn’t hit a key or mouse click) for the last 5 minutes right before handouts. This will insure that only people who are actually playing the game get a handout.
(e) Not really a gameplay change but revert to previous Vbulletin forums. People don't like dealing with weird unfamilar forums.

5. Remove Sallos. The playing field needs to be leveled for all players. None of this multiple client nonsense anymore. A shard with two clients just seems unprofessional and gimmicky to new players.

6. Make skill gain about two to three times as hard as it is now on hybrid. People like grinding characters. I think it gives the game a better feel, more like you have accomplished something. It also creates a better player 2 player buy/sell market reason being it will also reduce the chance of everyone having every kind of character possible.

7. Economics and Sustaining Good Economy
(a) Do not allow donating for gold. Other items are fine. ANYTHING BUT GOLD!!
(b) Do not have voting stones that give out gold. Do not have voting stones period.
(c) Lower the gold monsters drop by about 80%. (So a monster dropping 1000 gold, would drop 200 gold now)
(d) Drastically lower the rate at which vanqs and power and other high end magically equipment drop at. This creates more of a player 2 player blacksmith market. It will also give more incentive to join factions for use of runic items.
(e) Handouts are fun and great to get. But when you have people who just log in 4 accounts and sit afk trying to farm handouts you have a problem. See (4.d) game changes for solution.

8. Extra Fun Factor
(a) Daily events by staff. Every day would be something different but it would happen like clockwork. Everything from 1v1s to mazes. If people know when their favorite event is they will more likely participate. More players will keep playing after their event is over.
(b) Town control system. Create some kind of system where players can become “kings” of towns. They would be able to control if guards are on/off, taxes, regent vendors, etc.
(c) New faction system. Create some new kinds of scoreboards, with top 10 players of the week, month, etc. New faction rewards. Maybe craftable wands? Players need more incentive to guard sigils.

I’m sure I could think of a lot of other great ideas and I’m sure you guys could too. Let’s do this. It will be awesome I promise. And if the staff and some people are really against a wipe at least make a new shard like the one I’ve described. There is a huge interest in UO now that the Gamespy article came out and now is the time to capitalize. The other shard has 1520 people online right now and it’s a horrible, laggy, boring shard. Imagine how many people we would have if we made the shard I just described????

gotta agree with alot of what stides is saying. I've been playing here since 04 and have tons of cool shit and plenty of mils, but tbh a server wipe would cause alot of players to leave or quit for good. Not because alot of them are greedy or don't want to lose all their stuff, but more so...When we were all teenagers or early 20's we had tons of time to play uo. Now alot of us are out of college, have kids, professional jobs, families, or are in post-grad school etc and don't have time to build characters back up and start from scratch. We can't skip school to mine for ingots like we did when we were kids back in the late 90's :(

Angrybob

Wanderer
Server wipe would be out of the question. As a) people have no time, b) many donated because they don't have time, and probably wouldnt accomplish much.

Maybe the reason many have gone to the other shard is the interesting new systems - Perhaps now would be a good time to add a few of them here.

If it took my 2 months to GM a skill, I'm not sure I could be bothered. However many all new players start in brit and somehow moving the majority of the population there would be a good thing...

Player counts on IPY seem to be reducing from when it first started.

Capone

Sorceror
Yes delete everyones items and make it three times harder to get back on your feet... HOW COULD THAT FAIL!?

you can keep making these threads and ill keep encouraging you to quit the shard. Id rather play with less people who enjoy the game than more people who constantly complain about it.

Uonoobs has it figured out.

Poptart

Sorceror
Wipe will do nothing. Everyone will quit if that bullshit happens.
We aren't young anymore and don't have time to grind. If you want to grind go to IPY.
But hybrid isn't going anywhere, cry and whine all you want.

All a wipe is going to do is free up prime housing spots that people can't get in today's UOG.

If all you whiners don't enjoy the shard then kick fucking rocks. We've already wiped once, and last I checked we weren't running our servers out of a liquor store either anymore.

Remove T2A, block all access to it
Remove duel pits but leave 1 in the main land (kicks you out if you idle in it)
Fix wands & pots
Brit bank poker > Poker boat
Give people incentives to hunt in dungeons (Rare drops? Rare mobs?)
Make it so theres only 1 champ spawn, but it rotates / randomizes the champion
Automated Events
an corp

nr 1 is not a good idea...not everyone is looking forward to start over again.
+ i think it will piss off those who payed for those skill ballz.

I like events...but every day...that is just too much of a hassle for the people who own and create the server events.
Even on official servers they do an event maybe once a month TOPS.. (mainly cause they're lazy despite that their server isn't free and charges a sick amount for their dying empty servers)
But once a week or 2 a month sounds reasonable.

What i did like back in the old days is the bounty system.
It added an extra thrill for those hunting reds...and those who choose the dark path of being a murderer.

Now being "red" is just a diffirent hue to your name...