UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

World Largest Tower

Sundoom

Sorceror
World Largest Tower

The height of this building is just unfreaking believable..

I think I know where I'm going this summer..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100101/ts_afp/uaedubaiarchitecturetower_20100101182045

The 160-floor tower, containing 330,000 cubic metres (11.55 million cubic feet) of concrete and 31,400 tonnes of steel, can be seen from as far as 95 kilometres (59 miles) away.

Burj Dubai contains 57 lifts, which will whisk people to 1,044 apartments and 49 floors of office space, as well as a hotel bearing the Giorgio Armani logo.

Muggz

Sorceror
Re: World Largest Tower

Funny thing about Dubai right now is that thier economy is failing worse than United States economy...

Sundoom

Sorceror

Muggz;681557 said:
Funny thing about Dubai right now is that thier economy is failing worse than United States economy...

Having something that the rest of the world doesn't will attract tourists and therefore improve the economy - that's the idea of this era anyway.

Kiluad

Sorceror

Sundoom;681615 said:
Having something that the rest of the world doesn't will attract tourists and therefore improve the economy - that's the idea of this era anyway.

They've been hiding that building away in shame for awhile now. It's only a symbol of how not to do things right now.

Lucifall;682846 said:
Is it me... or is that tower dangerously inclinated? lol

I believe it's a "fisheye" effect of the photo, since buildings on the left side are inclinated on the opposite side ;)

Oaks

Knight

I read somewhere that a country next door to them has plans to build a tower (more than) twice the height of this giant. No point to it, just wanting to show off.

Money better spend elsewhere. (-> me)

Khephren

Knight

Oaks;682936 said:
Money better spend elsewhere. (-> me)

I agree...

but as I learned, it keeps the money machine going.

out of topic but it's like the parc that is next to my work.... it was beautifull... all natural... but yet, they are actually renovating it.... OK it will look better but the cost is estimated at 23 million !!(which is the budget) (mostly because in the 1800s it was a cemetary so if they dig a meter and there are findings, they have to stop for about a week and let the archaeologists document the findings)

Conclusion : if you are given a budget to do something... you HAVE to spend it, or else, next year, they will cut you !

Pont

Knight

This building has already sunk 6" or so since its construction. The load bearing capacity of the substructure must equal the loading of the superstructure. What will happen once it has been fully fitted out and has the weight of people in it.
I'd hate to be in charge of underpining that building. :eek: