UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Tinker Traps do not work right.

Deebo

Wanderer
When trapping a container with a tinker, once someone unlocks it, and then tries to open it, it should go off. The only way it will go off here is if you use the lockpicking skill on it. But if you use the spell "unlock", the container is unlocked and the trap is deactivated. I understand that the box must be turned a certain way etc but it still will not go off.

I brought this up to a GM, who in turn agreed and talked to the owner of the server. She said that it works just like it is suppose to. Every server I have played, works the way I described that it should. Why would a person spend all the time and effort to raise lockpicking when all they need to do is train magery to 30, and cast unlock, and then not only unlocking the container, but also disabling the trap? Again the owner knows this but says it is how it is suppose to be. If this is correct, then dungeon chests must be fixed where I can just cast unlock on it, and open without anything hurting me. The whole "end game" for gm'ing Tinkering is the traps! (well pot kegs too).

Please reconsider fixing these traps. If I trap something of mine, it should go off when someone unlocks and opens it regardless of how they unlock it. Makes perfect sense to me. Thanks

D

Shino

Forum Moderator
Staff member
The only way it will go off here is if you use the lockpicking skill on it. But if you use the spell "unlock", the container is unlocked and the trap is deactivated.
That's exactly how tinker crafted traps work in the original game (on EA shards).

Why would a person spend all the time and effort to raise lockpicking when all they need to do is train magery to 30, and cast unlock, and then not only unlocking the container, but also disabling the trap?
Lockpicking is required for treasure map chests, these are too tough to be unlocked with magery.

Deebo

Wanderer
I played on lake superior and great lakes and they most certainly did NOT work like they do here. I have played around a dozen free shards and they work as they should except for this one. Again tell me how it makes sense to protect your belongings with a trap, only for it to be opened with a spell and not go off?
Any argument against tinker traps are only made by those gullible to open one and die, then cry afterwards.

Smokeuog

Sorceror
Actually it's not the only way :) if you tinker trap a box, magic unlock it then keep it in your backpack it will go off on the person SNOOPING it (you can still open it and put things in it but soon as an outsiders snoops it it will go off. Also if the box gets axed it will go off :)

Smokeuog

Sorceror
I have only read about this and haven't tested it yet. But try putting the boxes key on a key ring then using the ring to unlock the trapped box.. Apparently at one time at least this would make the box unlocked but keep its trap armed :) give it a shot

Deebo

Wanderer
And I know they worked like I say on osi because on my 1st week playing back in 1998-1999 I opened one on the ground and boom! Ever since then I always made a tinker no matter what shard I played, pay or free.

Smokeuog

Sorceror
Yep they did work like that on OSI. Idk why it works like it does here just offering ways I've used them to destroy lives.

!STiTCH!

Sorceror
And I know they worked like I say on osi because on my 1st week playing back in 1998-1999 I opened one on the ground and boom! Ever since then I always made a tinker no matter what shard I played, pay or free.

Dude, you're not alone! Ever since I first played uo in 99 I've always had a tinker, theres just something about watching an unwary player go up in flames that makes me giggle. Sadly, it's just not the same here, but there is still fun to be had.

Smokeuog

Sorceror
Honestly they were fun... But I have had way more fun tricking people into snoopacide with the magic unlock trick :/

Deebo

Wanderer
Well we must all be liars because according to the "gods" they never worked like that on EA/osi. Again the only explanation is that their curiosity made them open one, and they now hate them so they nerfed them. Oh well they work fine on my new shard plus the population is higher among other things. No stupid wands either. I will still play here though too now and then.