UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Samurai Empire: You ready?

Amasu

Wanderer
Samurai Empire: You ready?

This is a discussion thread, as well as bit of a analysis of SE from my perspective. Some information is courtesy of sources such as stratics forums and others from my own experience.

I have one active account on OSI left- 62 months with a house I would rather not lose. I have the Samurai Empire expansion and have been having a small bit of fun with the new skills and special moves.

I am convinced that when SE is fully coded and live on Demise that it will be a very interesting learning curve for many and I intend to share a few observations:

1)The new special moves Armor Pierce, Block, Defense Mastery, and Feint are not that useful. Double shot may have its uses I dont play archers- ever- so have no real comment on this one.

2)Riding Swipe, Nerve Strike and Talon Strike will be used. Its a given- they are useful but not overpowered specials- yet they will appeal to many. I have seen a fair bit of grumbling by people that whine about dismount tactics from certain players...well try that with a frigging Samurai on a Hiryu. The Samurai doesnt need taming to ride the beast, hehe- just high Bushido.

3)Of the special moves that leaves Frenzied Whirlwind and Dual Wield. Not moves I would use much but who knows something may be found to work with em.

4)Hiding and Stealth formulas have been tweaked in SE. Gone are the lame days of 20.1 tracking being enough to defeat 200+ points worth of skill. A GM mages Reveal spell will fail and fail often in discovering that sneaky bastard stalking you for your powerscroll- er his powerscroll after he stealths near you, snoops your back and Shadow Jumps away...

5)Ninja are going to be hard. Both for the Ninja players and those who fall victim to the Ninja and their sneaky tactics. A Ninja has a very cramped template and hard choices will have to be made in order to make one work, this is a simple fact. Try it yourself if you dont believe me, make a Template.
For the victims, well all I can say is start training Detect Hidden and/or Tracking to GM on one of your other characters.

I wont go into long detail about the Ninja and their abilities but suffice it to say I have had a great time with just Shadow Jump/Smoke Bombs and Mirror Image.

6)If you dont use the Evasion, Counterattack and Whirlwind abilities of the Samurai you are an idiot. Evasion against mages in pvp or caster npcs in pvm- in short it acts as "Parry" for spells, even Wither/Strangle ticks. Counterattack- if you are smart have a special move set active and next time you parry with Counterattack set you get a chance to hit back. This can mean alot faster hits and if you are low on stamina it can help regain some of your effective fighting strength. Counterattack and Double Strike come to mind as just one combo...

The Bushido ability Whirlwind is going to be a bane to the gank if executed right. The formula is somewhat complicated but in essence it gives you a nifty bonus to your damage- this bonus increases the more opponents you have and is applied to ALL your nearby opponents. It hits in the eight squares around you so in pvp or pvm it WILL rock...

The Formula is this:

whirlwind bonus = ((# opponents * Bushido) * (# opponents * Bushido) / 3600);

They have had to cap the whirlwind damage bonus at 100, here is an example why:

(5 opponents*120 Bushido)*(5 opponens*120 Bushido)/3600=100 bonus damage to all 5 opponents!!!

If not for the cap, and in the case of more opponents the damage bonus would get quite sick...

Anyway, hope you enjoyed reading this there are other skills/abilities that I could have mentioned but these in my experience are the ones to really have any real effect in how we play here.

*grins*

Amasu

Wanderer
heh

My experience with the pets from SE is quite limitted- the Lesser Hiryu as a mount is very nice, whether you are a Samurai or not. I actually do not have a tamer on OSI, nor on Demise but I have heard the Rune Beetle is quickly becoming a favourite with its Legendary Poison and Elder Eval Int.

The mount forms of the ninja are not that much of an overpowering advantage due to the cramped template of the ninja you often are running without magic resist or some other skill like med/focus.