UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Razor Hotkeys: An Intermediate Player's Guide

Razor Hotkeys: An Intermediate Player's Guide

Alright, so after playing for 6 months on this server and using these forums for their wealth of information, I have decided to make my own contribution to the Common's Catalogue. I suppose the only differences between this guide and all of the other ones you read are: this guide consists of majorly subjective information, as well as the fact that most of the other authors of guides are better writers than I am, so you may find this a little hard to read at times.

The reason I have decided to write this guide is because in the recent weeks I have seen several posts regarding subjects like "Spell hot key setup recomendations?" (Sorry to single you out Yxven, but your post was the most recent regarding this subject). Additionally, I feel that while there is no right or wrong way to set up your hotkeys, there are some useful tips and hints as to the best ways to do this, so if anybody has any recommendations for improving this guide, please do so--recommend that is, and I will be more than happy to add them. Finally, I feel that providing my own hotkeys and reasons as to why I chose them and how they work will help new players, "pvpers" as well as "pvmers," setup their hotkeys so that they perform optimally for them. I have tried to arrange this guide in bullet format so that it is easier to pick out details and so that the reader does not have to read long paragraphs like the previous ones.

One last thing, I would really appreciate some feedback on this little guide as I would like to know what you all think of it or if you have some suggestions or recommendations that I could add to it.

Let me start out with some "objective" useful tips:
  • It is important to use "enable/disable razor hotkeys" which can be found in the razor hotkeys tab. This will allow you to set many more binds as well as be able to type without having to cast spells while doing so.
  • Don't set "enable/disable razor hotkeys" to a key that you commonly press while typing.
  • You must be careful not to set any offensive-performing actions or macros to any keys that you commonly chat with (e.g. don't set "chug purple potion" to "e"). This is because you will most likely forget to turn off your hotkeys in razor when you are trying to communicate with someone.
  • Try and set hotkeys for complimentary spells close to one another so that they are easy to remember, and quick to press.
  • If you have text in your chat box and you want to talk, don't delete it all--this takes too long. Just hit enter and "say" it, and then type what you want to say. You will see many duelers do this after they dump--you'll see something like: "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaakdkkkkkkkdddddfffedd12223333333333 nice one" - meditation sound.
  • Set your target keys to buttons that can be easily pressed when needed, but easily avoided as well. This can be dangerous in town if, for example, you have energy bolt set to "e" and last target set to "t" and you did not disable your hotkeys. Instant guard whack. Free loot for the WBB sitters.
  • To simplify things, set some of your most commonly used target-spells/actions to a key, and then make a cast spell, target last target macro to a dual-hotkey (e.g. alt + original key) with the original key included, so you can do something like set "z" to magic arrow, and "alt + z" to cast magic arrow, target last target. Quick and easy disrupting spells.
  • Be sure to use the heal/miniheal/cure self hotkey in razor. I see too many people hitting their heal button when they are poisoned. This could save your life.
  • Careful when using the mousewheel for targeting, as it can, and will mess things up occassionally. I find myself exploding myself about 10% of the time in duels because I have last target set to mousewheel up, and target self set to mousewheel down. So far, it has never been the cause of a lost duel for me.
  • Be sure to disable target queues in razor. When you start to use more and more hotkeys, they will totally mess you up and get you guardwhacked, especially when you forget to turn your hotkeys off.
  • Enable smart last target. I know its hard to put this must trust in razor, but it actually works really well.
With these tips in mind (I probably left out a ton, but that's all I can think of at the moment) here is my current setup for pvp:

Weapons/offensive abilities:

` - stun
Alligned with the arm/disarm weapon.

1 - arm/disarm weapon 1
2 - arm/disarm weapon 2
3 - arm/disarm weapon 3
These are for when I play a dexer/alchy mage. Weapon 1 is always a double-handed weapon. Weapons 2 and 3 are always single handed and preferably poisoned.

Spells:

alt + ` - recall, absolute target
Always need to have a recall macro handy in case you are outnumbered or just want to escape some mobs fast!

q - mind blast
alt + q - mind blast, target last target
w - paralyze
alt + w - paralyze, target last target
e - explosion
alt + e - explosion, target last target
r - energy bolt
alt + r - energy bolt, target last target
These work really well for me. As you have noticed, they are all in order for attacking someone in the field with reflection up: mind blast to take off reflect, paralyze if you are in a group, then explode and energy bolt, target last target.

i - weaken
o - clumsy
p - feeblemind
All similar spells, and I have them in an order that I personally remember best (importance).

a - teleport
Very important for escaping the gank. Especially in Delucia.

s - heal
d - miniheal
Important to have heal and miniheal next to each other, but where you put them is up to you. I have them in this spot because they are the keys I used back in the day on Great Lakes with UO Extreme.

alt + s - heal/cure self
alt + d - miniheal/cure self
Very important hotkeys to have, especially for dueling.

f - fireball
alt + f - fireball, target last target
g - lightning
alt + g - lightning, target last target
Similar spells.

z - magic arrow
alt + z - magic arrow, target last target
A quick disrupt macro.

x - harm
alt + x - harm, target last target
One of the most used spells in the game. Very important in duels, but rarely used in the field.

c - cure
Only use this if you are queuing up cure while anticipating being poisoned or for curing a friend. Otherwise, just use mini heal/heal/cure self.

v - poison
alt + v - poison, target last target
Very important macro for nox mages to have in field battles.

b - flamestrike
alt + n - reactive armor
alt + m - magic reflection

Potions:
cntrl + a - chug red potion
cntrl + z - chug blue potion
cntrl + s - chug yellow potion
cntrl + x - chug white potion
cntrl + d - chug orange potion
cntrl + e - chug purple potion
This is quite possibly the best setup for potions. It is set up for quick and easy to remember combinations: agility + refresh = hold cntrl --> z, a; strength + heal = hold cntrl --> x, s.

cntrl + alt + e - chug purple potion, pause .150 seconds, cancel target
This is kind of taboo. A lot of people are totally against making macros for doing explosion potion combos. However, I have heard that people have a macro that they hit when the potion hits '3' and the combo is impossible to heal. I have yet to witness this.

Targeting:

t - cycle target
Useful if there is a target onscreen that you do not have a hotkey listed for (in my case, target random blue).

f3 - set last target
f4 - target random red
f5 - attack last target
f6 - target random criminal
A very good setup as well, especially for alchy dexers: f3, f4, f5 sets last target as a red (by now, you can tell that I am very into field pvp), and attacks. Doesn't seem like much at first, but with greater explosion potions, it already sets you up a last target to chuck at.

mousewheel down - target self
mousewheel up - target last target
Unconfusing, and quick to press as you can have one hand on the keyboard pressing hotkeys for spells, and the other hand quickly giving a target.

Misc:

escape - equip knife
In my opinion, this is the best place to set equip a knife due to the fact that pressing escape will cancel a spell anyway.

/ - use once
This can be annoying sometimes as I occassionally team chat with the hotkeys enabled. I keep meaning to change this one but never get around to it.

shift + s - use bandage on self
Notice that all my heal hotkeys are all set to "s," or some variation of "s," with exception to miniheals.

cntrl + alt + s - use bandage

cntrl + ` - enable/disable razor hotkeys
A good combination that is easy and quick to press, but never pressed during chat.

space bar - cancel target
Useful in duels when you want to fake a dump without having to equip.

\ - stop macro
I use this a lot with tailors/alchemists/etc. Also can be used when you run any kind of target macro; if the target cannot be found then the macro will not stop and it will most likely not allow you to run another macro.

- - equip wand

+ - use item in hand
I really don't use wands that often, hence I have them reserved for these keys that are at the opposite end of the keyboard. I have the equip and use keys placed next to eachother for quick healing/breaking paralyze if i happen to have one on me.

Thief Hotkeys:

` - stun
f1 - disarm
Offensive abilities placed closely together.

f3 - set last target
f2 - steal
2 - last target (set in UO)
I play a stun thief. 1. Open paperdoll. 2. Set weapon as last target. 3. Activate disarm. 4. Queue up steal. 5. Hit last target. Quick and easy: double click opponent, f3, click, f1, f2, 2 = a brand new vanquishing war hammer for my alchy dexer :) Or:

alt + ` - use skill steal, last target (set in UO for quicker execution)

alt + 1 - useskill hide

shift + s - bandage self
ctrl + alt + s - use bandage

/ - use once
Always carry around 3 pretrapped pouches (trapped by your mage) in case you decide to steal from a para-spammer. The key is to pop the pouch not right after you get paralyzed, but when the opponent begins casting their follow up spell, which is usually explosion. If you time it right you'll be way off screen by the time they have completed their precast unless they are smart enough to cancel their spell, which they usually aren't because they were stupid enough to get robbed in the first place.

Well I'm tired now. I hope some people will find this useful and no longer have to ask for the "best hotkey setup," because really there is none. Its all about what is fastest, easy to remember, and comfortable for you.

Thanks for reading,

-Materazzi

Re: Razor Hotkeys: An Intermediate Player's Guide

wow does every one set there macros up with a spell then again with a spell then last target? if so that must be my prob i just have a single spell them do last target target self my self

great guide

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure how useful people would find this. In response to your question Flick, I don't know how many people use cast spell, target last target macros, but I find that they definitely help if you want to turn off target queues in razor. Some people like target queues, but I personally do not like having to clear target queues every time I cast a spell or hit chug purple potion.

Jarek

Wanderer

im now using the way you set your hot keys haha its awesome!

Ghost Knight

Sorceror

I can't believe people would use such difficult macros...all of my main spell macros are on tilda(~), 1-6, and F1-F4.

~ - bandage
1 - curse
2 - mindblast
3 - poison
4 - fireball
5 - lightning
6 - magic arrow

alt~- arm/disarm
alt1 - refresh potion
alt2 - cure potion
alt3 - heal potion
alt4 - agility potion
alt5 - strength potion
(notice the order of the first three potions...hit alt1,2,3 on the run and you're good to go)

F1 - bless
F2 - cure
F3 - heal
F4 - greater heal
F5 - paralyze
F6 - ebolt
F7 - flamestrike
F8 - explosion
F9 - recall
F10 - teleport
F11 - wall of stone
F12 - invisibility

mousewheel up - last target

Any other spells that I use like magic reflect, dispel, meteor storm, etc are on my desktop.

X

xDegenerate

did i read that right? mind blast removes magic reflection? what about a 15 circle magery/inscription reflection?

Ghost Knight

Sorceror

xDegenerate;1198719 said:
did i read that right? mind blast removes magic reflection? what about a 15 circle magery/inscription reflection?
Most people will cast two mana drains or mindblasts to remove reflection...then start their dump...at that point they're going to figure out you have inscription when spells start coming back on them...assuming you had your full circles at the start of the fight.

Ghost Knight

Sorceror

Lady_Crystal;1198937 said:
Ghost Knight's macros are way easier
Thanks...the part below could use some work...been using them since 97 though...it would be hard for me to change. I have a logitech g11 gaming keyboard now...may move some stuff over to the g keys. lol

F5 - paralyze
F6 - ebolt
F7 - flamestrike
F8 - explosion
F9 - recall
F10 - teleport
F11 - wall of stone
F12 - invisibility

Ghost Knight;1191870 said:
I can't believe people would use such difficult macros...all of my main spell macros are on tilda(~), 1-6, and F1-F4.

~ - bandage
1 - curse
2 - mindblast
3 - poison
4 - fireball
5 - lightning
6 - magic arrow

alt~- arm/disarm
alt1 - refresh potion
alt2 - cure potion
alt3 - heal potion
alt4 - agility potion
alt5 - strength potion
(notice the order of the first three potions...hit alt1,2,3 on the run and you're good to go)

F1 - bless
F2 - cure
F3 - heal
F4 - greater heal
F5 - paralyze
F6 - ebolt
F7 - flamestrike
F8 - explosion
F9 - recall
F10 - teleport
F11 - wall of stone
F12 - invisibility

mousewheel up - last target

Any other spells that I use like magic reflect, dispel, meteor storm, etc are on my desktop.

these work as well. personally i like to keep my double hotkeys close to eachother so they are easier to feel and take less time to press intead of having to hit alt+2 for a cure and then have to reach all the way over to f10 to teleport to the COD north of Del when all of those red-hating blues are attacking you :)

if you choose to use the # keys because they are easier to remember, you might be better off that way. I like mine because other than casting FS and popping a pouch, my left hand never moves away from the left-hand part of the keyboard allowing for much faster hotkey pressing and not having to take my concentration off of the screen when I am in battle, hence i keep the f-keys to mainly target shortcuts.

it takes 3 mana drains to wear off reflect on a scribe (and be able to explo afterwards) which is why i prefer to just use mindblast over mana drain because it only takes two. none of my characters have a stat below 35 and, after chugging a greater agility pot for more stun attempts, mb is pretty harmless when it reflects. also, ghost rider, do you have a harm hotkey? ... very important spell if you like to duel every so often...

... just my two cents. i prefer my hotkeys not because i am used to them but because they are more easily accessible, and to me, that is what hotkeys need to be in pvp--you should never have to take your eyes off the screen, and it should never take more than an instant to press them.

-edit: i just would like to say that ghost knight's hotkeys are definitely much simpler.

Updated hotkeys including the keys i use for my disarm thief (anatomy, wrestle, hiding, stealing, snooping, arms lore, healing), miscellaneous, and potions. I guess I got a little carried away and turned some of them into semi-guides because I'm bored... read at your own risk :)

scotland123

Wanderer

I've dug through Razor and i'm unable to figure out how to add a "target self, last target, etc." to my Razor macros. Id like to do like the OP said and have a "last target" assigned to my spells w/ Alt but i'm unable to figure out how do do that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ty

Mekkahfire

Wanderer

Im still a double-click warrior... Old school for life.

And i still win <33333333

1 - castspell>healing>targetself
2- castspell>cure>targetself

Only macros i use besides ~ for last target.

scotland123;1291463 said:
I've dug through Razor and i'm unable to figure out how to add a "target self, last target, etc." to my Razor macros. Id like to do like the OP said and have a "last target" assigned to my spells w/ Alt but i'm unable to figure out how do do that. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ty

the easiest way to do this is to go to, say, delucia and find a cow/bull/whatever. assign it to last target. then just record a macro of you casting a spell and hitting last target. so the macro should look something like this:

cast spell
wait for target
exec: last target

or something along those lines.

KillaCookie

Wanderer

I use tanks often and this is the setup I use for them;
With the num pad off,
7-Explosion
8-Poison
9-EnergyBolt
4-Flamestrike
5-Cure
6-GreaterHeal
1-I either set to a bank hotkey or a wand.
2-LastTarget
3-MindBlast
.-EquipWeapon
/-Heal
*-MagicReflection
--Lightning
+-Paralyze
PauseBreak-Harm
ScrollLock-Fireball
CaptureScreen-MagicArrow
ScrollWheelUp-HealPotion
ScrollWheelDown-CurePotion
I have side buttons on my mouse for Target Self and Refresh Potions.
I've given my hotkeys to like 5 people and they love them. I hope my hotkeys are useful=]