UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Okay so I signed up 2 of my chars...

EvilChild

Knight
Re: Okay so I signed up 2 of my chars...

Feersum Endjinn;699271 said:

Well, yes. If they didn't go around indoctrinating children, converting lost savages and killing non-believers... :p

The point is that those who believe in a god in spite of the fact that his/her existence appears less likely with every decade that passes seem to think they deserve some special treatment: a "special" respect for their belief. While I am insulted, ridiculed, attacked or even killed because "Atheism" is a dirty word.

As far as "proving their point of view" is concerned, there is a huge difference between the two sides. Believers know that the existence of god can never be proved (and are told by their superiors that this is the case so as to protect the possibility of "faith"). Non-believers don't know whether they will one day be able to prove their point or not, but they have been accumulating evidence for centuries. This is why your "bat in the box" analogy is not valid: we are not talking about a 50/50 chance. A better analogy would be if you are told the box contains either a baseball bat or a little green man from Mars. How many people would bet on the Martian?

Of course the other difference between believers and non-believers is that if one day god came down to earth and made a star appearance at the Superbowl, every single scientist, Atheist and free thinker would willingly admit that they were wrong all this time. Whereas, if the opposite were proved true, believers would just ignore it...

FE

Your problem is with the people and not the religion. I don't like atheists running around telling people that their beliefs are 100% wrong and telling them to die in fires or pissing and moaning any more than you probably like religious fanatics preaching in the streets about why everything you do is sinful and a spite in their gods eyes. I don't think it makes sense to declare a bag of apples bad because the only apple you've had was sour.

I wouldn't make an assumption that the more we learn the less God seems relevant or likely. I personally have found that the more I have learned about science, math, philosophy etc, the more I have found it reasonable that there is probably some sort of God. I think it comes down to your interpretations of evidence that is presented.

As far as the balls in the box. It's impossible to say that having a god is less likely than not having a god. Unless you can give reasons why it would be less likely that there is a god I will stand by the odds being impossible to tell.

KingJames

Wanderer

btw this is what I see this conversation as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NGx2sGM1aw&feature=related

Even though this is a christian commercial, but it essentially gets the point across while we are sitting here arguing about what is right and wrong people out there need us to give them rides to the gas station.:p

*EDIT* and also shows the interpretation fact. They are interpreting a day in scriptures differently. That's why I always say that it is an unexplainable mystery such as....

Which came first the chicken or the egg.(I love this btw)

Feersum Endjinn;699271 said:

Of course the other difference between believers and non-believers is that if one day god came down to earth and made a star appearance at the Superbowl, every single scientist, Atheist and free thinker would willingly admit that they were wrong all this time. Whereas, if the opposite were proved true, believers would just ignore it...

FE

With historical proof to verify it though, God HAS already came down to earth. The only difference is we didn't have a media back in the early days of Christianity (your Superbowl) to cover the event, therefore speculation and non-believers these days are just as frequent as believers.

You have to admit though, why do you believe in the story of 300, and King Leonidas? The same sort of historical evidence exists for both tales. Except when we're talking about a deity, saviour, or god, apparently it's just more unlikely and unbelievable.

Personally, being incredulous is almost a hobby of mine, which is why I use that product "I can't believe it's not butter" when I have toast.