UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Make UO Faster?!?

Stides40oz

Knight
Re: Make UO Faster?!?

Simon Cowell;1444762 said:
Personally I think UOG is a cpu hog. It builds and builds till you have to reset it. At least it does with me. I run another mmo and it never does that and less lag.
Ive noticed this too.. the client starts out at around 30mb memory use than ive had it go up as high as 330mb in use.

UOJake

Sorceror

Stides;1445788 said:
Ive noticed this too.. the client starts out at around 30mb memory use than ive had it go up as high as 330mb in use.

It's caching items, houses, and house designs. If memory is the problem decrease the house cache down from 300. If the problem is processor intensive then increase the house cache. Works differently on different machines. I usually decrease this number, as I play on an old ass laptop. It seems to work really good.

Stides40oz

Knight

UOJake;1445812 said:
It's caching items, houses, and house designs. If memory is the problem decrease the house cache down from 300. If the problem is processor intensive then increase the house cache. Works differently on different machines. I usually decrease this number, as I play on an old ass laptop. It seems to work really good.

This is one the settings in the uo menu that i never really understood. Ive put it at both ends of the extreme and dont think i can tell any difference. My computer is pretty crappy its a p4 2.0ghz 1gb ram. What would you suggest setting the house cache size too?

UOJake

Sorceror

imo you have plenty of memory, so I wouldn't worry about it starting at 30MB and growing up to the 300's. In that case just push it up a few notches. This setting only really matters if you are low on ram. Though I am certainly not an authority on UO clients.

It sounds like you just need to clear all the garbage off you're system. I can still get P266Mhz with 32MB ram and a 4MB video card to run at top speed. When done right.

THE REIGN

Wanderer

Stides;1445785 said:
The newer uo clients are much more processor intense then the older patches. Try using client 3.x.x compared to 5.x.x and tell me you dont run faster through houses or any other processor intense locations.

I want to try this but what are the effects of patching to 3.x.x ?? Is there much noticable missing content?

matterbaiter

Wanderer

Raf;1445733 said:
Back in the days I used to play UO on a 166 pentium with 64 ram... (1999 omg thats a fuckin long time ago)
Ill give ya all the tips that should make UO run faster!
On ur computer:
Install and run hitmanpro to remove all the spyware from ur comp
Defrag ur harddrives
Buy more ram (its cheap and u can never have enough ram!!!)
Turn off ur virusscanner
Open ur task manager and shut down everything u dont need running
Maybe reinstall windows... The average life span of a windows operating system is about 4 months. After that it starts running slower and slower and slower....

In UO options:
Turn off the game music
Turn off colored lightning
Turn on frame skipping
Turn up the houses in the cache

In UO razor:
Turn off the weather
Turn off the light effects
Turn off every other sound u dont wanna hear

I hope this helps

Where is the house cache located at?

sorter

Wanderer

hey thanks for all the tips on how to make this game run smoother everyone...
my gaming rig blew up, it wasnt crazy but
dual 1.6ghz, 3gb ram, nvid 7400...

blew out my bios! so thats a brick and now i dont play darkfall anymore since im running a new sick computer Phear!

p3 800 mhz Overclocked to 1020mhz
512 sd ram ( cant get other 128mb x2 sticks to run with the 512...damn)
sick ass asus 64 meg video card.

setting a higher priority (very high[second highest]) helped alot.
defragging would help if youre drive is getting slow...but everyone should be gaming non fragged anyways, or else u will get fragged.
frame skipping also lets you run faster....looks pretty bad...but u move quicker...
also...i cant find the option to cache more houses... ive always been able to find it np but....if one doesnt have plenty of harddrive space..would seeting that to max, on a fully housed server like this take up say 100 megs? 500 megs? 1 gig? 5 gigs?

thansk in advance.