UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Laptop Problems

IBCI

Wanderer
Laptop Problems

Howdy folks! Starting college tomorrow and having a rough time with my laptop, and though I do know this isn't a computer forum I believe their's(Someone tell me what there/their to use in this instance, I seem to have gone spacey) some smart people on this shard and was hoping someone might have some ideas or be able to help.

It's a Gateway Series M model W650A, 15.4" screen running Vista. It was bought by my sister about a year and a half ago for college ( 800$ at best buy then). A month or two after she bought it her boyfriend accidentally stepped on it as it was charging on the floor. The screen was destroyed and she chalked it up as a lost cause. I got it a few months later and after hooking it up to my desktop monitor decided that the display in general was fine and that I could replace the screen and use it for my college computer. So, I bought the screen for $100 and replaced it. I've been using it to play UO for the past month and a half since then, with it only moving from a table to my couch and back, and it has ran great.

Anyways, enough of the history. I went to my college earlier today to get most of my stuff straightened away, and I tried my laptop there. It worked fine. After taking it back home, upon start up I received two beeps, and could no longer connect to the internet at all, even when plugged directly in. Upon investigation I believe the beep code correlates to a hardware issue, and that to mean the built in wireless card/modem to be somehow disconnected during travel? I did not really move it much until now so it might be his stepping on it loosened some wires and it just took time for them to fall out? Anyways, was wondering if anyone else thinks this might be the case?

My next debate then is if it would be worth the money to have it repaired, or just buy a new one? I have normally done all repair myself but I would really like to have the computer gone over by a professional and fully tuned up. It's missing a couple screws from the first time it was damaged and one of their friends messed around with it. It is also missing a bracket cover on the left side(where the screen meets the keyboard, mostly cosmetic I believe) and several cosmetic rubber screw covers. Also, when I put in the new screen, I forgot to replace the piece of scotch tape securing the power cord to the screen, and that's worrying me a little. Anyways, was curious if anyone knew what a repair of this type would cost me? Not really replacing any part but just a going-over of the computer, a professional jiggling of the wires (hopefully) =).

My main problem with me starting college is of course being strapped for cash, so I gotta try and work with that. The best I imagine being able to scrounge up for repairs is around $150 tops, but hopefully it would be much less than that. I do believe it is a rather nice computer for the $100 I have currently invested in it, and much better then anything I could get for the $400 tops I might eventually be able to scrounge up for a new one, and under that scenario I would go without a laptop for a month minimum.

Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone who has read this. As I said I am strapped for time and money and am just trying to decide the best course of action. I'm hoping it can be repaired for under $100 and by next weekend but as all shops are closed on sunday not much I can do.

IBCI

Wanderer
Re: Laptop Problems

yay! Grabbed a wireless card ad plugged it in and not only did that work, but it seems to have fixed my built in wireless card as well, yay for random dumb luck!