UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Is there a trick to taming swamp dragons?

I have a 7x GM tamer. I have tamed several regular dragons and several mares by peacing them and then repeatedly attempting to tame and finally breaking through the "you seem to anger the best"

I have gone to try and tame a swamp dragon 3 or 4 times, after 5 to 10 minutes of nothing but "you seem to anger the beast." I finally give up and leave. I can't even start to tame to get a "you fail to tame the animal." I'm just stuck with "you seem to anger the beast."

What gives?

Mara

Knight
Re: Is there a trick to taming swamp dragons?

It's possible that other people have tamed them previously, and didn't rename them - thus increasing the difficulty. Try a few different ones. Even at GM, I believe there is only a 1 in 20 chance of not angering the thing. And then you also have to succeed in taming it.

If it still doesn't seem to work, and you don't mind killing poor little swamp dragons, wipe them all out and start with freshly spawned ones.

scarecrow41

Squire

If you anger it, just tame it again. There's not the usual delay after taming if you anger the beast. Just tame tame tame, you will eventually get the blue writing that you are starting to tame the creature. AIM me if you want and I'll go with and help.

I know how to eventually get the blue writing. I frequently tame regular dragons and nightmares. I have a razor macro that goes like
"use skill taming
wait for target
last target
wait .5s"
and it loops.
(i.e. it retries taming every half a second over and over)

I use it all the time to tame regular dragons and nightmares. The problem I am posting about here is that I can't even get the blue writing on the swamp dragons. Just like 5 to 10 minutes straight of "you seem to anger the beast"

If there is not trick to taming swamp dragons i must have just had bad luck... I'll go try again.

Ra

Sorceror

Don't you have to weaken them first? (And by weaken, I mean attack them until they have low-hp).

UOGSales

Wanderer

Slaughter all the swampies you can until you see one spawn then tame that one..

If a swampy has been tamed once before it is a really low percentage that you will tame it.. if it has been tamed twice before.. no chance at all..

Tamers macro in swampyland and some are too lazy to change the names before they release.

Mara was correct! YAY MARA!

It took me forever too.But yea, after you weaken it to the point that it is at a sliver of health peace it or paralyze it, that works for me.:cool:

Thanks guys. I was able to tame a couple of them last night. If I was unsuccessful after about 5 or 6 tries I would just kill them and move on to the next one.

ploki

Knight

Ra;1664665 said:
Don't you have to weaken them first? (And by weaken, I mean attack them until they have low-hp).

nope ... you dont.. that just slows them down..

You have to weaken dragons or their fire breath will kill you. Anything that casts firebreath, it gets weaker as their HP goes down; at 10% health, a dragon's fire breath does practically no damage.
swampy, just find a ledge or paralyze and spam taming. Note that not all swampies are created equal; there's a wide range of hit points, str and dex. I would advise just taming the best ones and killing the rest off.

lure it to a ledge where it cannot move and you are standing above it. - this way it doesn't even have to be weakened and just keep trying to tame it.

Quizalotte'

Sorceror
I realize this is a old thread, but.... I like to weeken them to below 10% health that way they run away from you and you can coral them into a corner. Another tip I would suggest is blessing yourself and cursing the creature, also make sure to "tab out" of combat so that you dont punch the creature your trying to tame.

Codra

Wanderer

yea dude, thats huge. u drop it to less than half hps, i bet u'll atleast see it "begin taming" the problem here is everyone thinks its cool to tame n realease , but u should kill shit instead of releaseing. but apparently im the newb around, which is true ;]

Paracelsus

Sorceror
With the new patch (check LOS), there are still many easy way to tame it.

1. takes 96% of its HP, force it to the corner and tame (as someone mentioned in earlier post)
--> since it may take a while before you can tame it. Its HP may recover and run towards you or move arbitrarily around you. I usually don't use this method for swampy.

2. paralyze and tame
--> I won't use this approach as I am too lazy to cast paralze and tame.

3. tame and let it attack you without run
--> This is how I tame swampy nowaday. Before start taming, go smith shop to get a full plate armor set. Dress it up. Look for the swampy. Attack it and then go to the peace mode. Stand still and keep taming until success. Even GM-melee swampy, it won't kill you with full plate on.

yea dude, thats huge. u drop it to less than half hps, i bet u'll atleast see it "begin taming" the problem here is everyone thinks its cool to tame n realease , but u should kill shit instead of releaseing. but apparently im the newb around, which is true ;]

Well most people who tame and release are working animal taming as their first skill. So killing them is just a huge waste of time. plus the higher you get the easier you tame things. You want a pretamed bull or so so you can attempt to tame it as much as possible = most skill gains from one single animal

With the new patch (check LOS), there are still many easy way to tame it.

3. tame and let it attack you without run
--> This is how I tame swampy nowaday. Before start taming, go smith shop to get a full plate armor set. Dress it up. Look for the swampy. Attack it and then go to the peace mode. Stand still and keep taming until success. Even GM-melee swampy, it won't kill you with full plate on.

DEEEEEEECENT! :) I never thought of that