UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How to write and answer a post. Version 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaltos

Sorceror
How to write and answer a post. Version 1.0

This post will list some rules to make your post visible, readed and understood.It will also helps you not getting it tramelled. Doing this does not require any macros, skills or in-game abilities, but everyone could make the forum nicers by following some simple grammar rules.

Rule 0: Read the stickies
They are here for a reason: to be read. They contains rules, answers and guidelines. Read them all at least once.

Posting a thread.
Rule 1: Posting in the good place.
Alot of people are not doing this. People post questions, real life talk, suggestions and mostly anything else in General Discussion. Sure, it's easier to post a suggestion in General Discussion, but that is bypassing the controls. Mods have placed controls on suggestions to keep only the intelligents ones in(or keeping the intelligents for themselves), and censoring bad ones. From the answers of forum mods, failing to follow this rule trammels your post.

Rule 2: Having a good title.
To get the attention of people, you need to "sell" what you have to offer. For that you need a good title, because it's the first things people look at(and sometimes, never go farther than that). Grammar here is important, because people are more tented to look at posts made with a well written grammar than one lacking most of it. The title should also resume your idea in the post. I do not know the consequences of giving a false title, sadly.

Rule 3: Grammar for the body.
Now that you got the attention of people, don't let it all go to waste. You will need to use capital letters where it is needed, punctuation marks correctly placed and ideas well structured. Many peoples makes fun of grammar errors, when you make an error in a word, but most of the time, the targeted person should just learn from it, and not flame about it.

Rule 4: Be polite, kind and respectfull.
This is what keeps your thread to get tramelled. Respecting others opinions and point of views will not only help you getting read, but will help you get more friends on the forum. Of course, trolling/flaming is the opposite of this, and makes a post getting tramelled faster than you can say "Fuzzy pickles".

Answering to a post
Rule 1: Ideas are best when shared.
A person wrote his mind out on a subject and you disagree with what he/she wrote? Know this: you can(and it's higly respected) to share your ideas. But watch out: Insulting that person is not a way to show your ideas. Flaming is never the solution to anything. The real solution in that case would be to explain your point of view to that person, and argue with him/her in a pacific way. Ideas are not to be destroyed by mere insults.

Rule 2: Respect the other person.
The "thing" you are going to respond to, maybe by flaming, trolling, insulting or giving an excellent opinion of the subject is an human being. Present yourself in that person's place: "Will my post irritate him/her? Will he/she answer it?" is some of the many questions you should ask yourself before posting. Respect comes in two directions or else it's not respect.

Rule 3: Follow the posting rules.
Some places, like the trade forums, have specific posting rules. The point is to control the flow of stupidity that comes and go. By following the rules, the level of intelect this forum have will go up, and it will become a better place where everyone can talk, not where people are afraid of flamers/trollers/insulters.

Rule 4: If it doesn't fit here, do not try.
Posting a bad/misplaced post will push people to answer it stupidly. This should never be hoped, as it makes the forum a worst place.

Rule 5: omg im uzin internet i so r0xx0r
Learn english. Learn to write in a proper english, using punctuation marks and capital letters at the right place. Learn to spell every word the way it was intended to be spelled. Plz is not the word "please", it's 3 letters with no meaning when put together. This will help people reading your post, and help you get reputation boosts.(Warning: I've never seen anyone give a reputation boosts for a good reasons in the last year. It does not seem the system is used as intended, but I might be wrong.)

Rule 6: I am here to help, not enrage you.
Helping peoples should get reputation boosts. But there must also be a limit to reputation boosts given. I believe, to get fairness in this forum, to boost only posts which has answered your questions/calls for help. Sure, maybe someone has helped alot of peoples with an advice/hint/answer, but he should get the boost by the same person that given him the question/call. Then again, people giving reputation boosts to people that are being arses by destroying someone's topic without actually giving an idea are wrongdoing. There's no honor in this, and yet people find theses person "cool" and "popular", then give them the boost. This should stop before the forum become a huge flame war.

The end?
Yep, that is all I can think right now. I should add more when I'll have ideas, but for now, I really believe i've cornered every angles.

I couldn't post in in the guide section, so I posted it here instead. Was about something like lacking rights to do so... So, if this thread is going to be tramelled because it's not in the right section, I would love to have a PM of an mod telling me the procedures to make it go in the suggestion board.(adding/adjusting is also accepted)

And you?
Have a word about this guide? Go ahead and post your ideas out. Remeber to be respectfull, or i'll never answer you. If you believe this is a threat, you are really wierd! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.