UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

How to Train a Pet.

A couple of things I've figured out:

1. Using my dexxer's swampy may NOT have been a good idea. The reason it was taking so much damage and so many bandages was that all its skills were close to 0; all I ever do is to rez him when he dies, put on some more armor if it's broke, re-mount and get back into the fray.
Once his magic resist hit 50, he was able to take a lot more hits; it's almost 80 now, and he's able to handle a whole 15 seconds with the door open. I didn't think about that earlier; that was why I was having such really bad experiences with trying to use a swampy as a target. A fresh tame would have been a lot more durable.

2. It's probably going to take about as long to train skills to 7x as if I had zeroed the mare out; I've done three 8 hour sessions and a 4 hour session already and magery is still just at 86.1
I did a set it and forget it for 8 hours to get resist to 100; med hit 100 and mage/eval were at 65/65.1 when I woke up. I have no idea how long it actually took to get the mare to GM resist; I set it up and went to sleep, let the mages cast mana vampire all night.
Then I did another 8 hour overnight session and got the mage/eval up to 79.3/91.4
Then I did another 4 hour session late night/early morning and got mage/eval up to 83/98.6
And another 8 hour session today got the mare's mage/eval up to 86.1/100. When I checked in just a couple hours into the session, eval had already hit 100.
That's already 28 hours of training, and I've still got a LONG way to go to GM magery. That last 3.1 points of magery using the swampy as a target took 8 hours and a crapload of bandages. But I would have probably had a lot better gains and used a lot less bandages if I hadn't been using my dexxer's bonded swampy; a fresh tame would have been able to take 15 seconds with the door open instead of just 8, and would have used maybe half as many bandages.

@Paracelsus: Thanks for the info about cartography. I tried dropping cart all the way down to 72 real skill at server down. It works! I don't know why, but despite all the websites that state that you need GM cart to decode level 5 (devious) treasure maps and the fact that it had always took GM skill to decode them on Atlantic since at least 1999, when I first GM'ed it there, evidently Hybrid doesn't actually require any more skill for level 5 maps than it does for level 3 maps. It may take 100 tries to actually decode a level 5 at 72 real skill, but you don't get that "The map is too difficult to attempt to decode" message. It decoded the last of the level 5 maps I had handy before I could drop it any more. I'm guessing it won't give the "too difficult" message until something like 70.1 or 71. I also dropped fishing from my T-hunter's template. My new setup is now: 100 lockpicking, 100 magery, 100 med, 100 taming, 100 lore, 100 vet, 28 item ID, 72 cartography

@mano157: Most of us use variations of Paracelsus' setup. He posted a pic of it. Look back thru the posts and you can find it. Pretty much pet-chest-door-chest-pet or target, with all 3 other sides blocked by chests/tables/walls/whatever that the pet can't move over or thru.

A little advice about unattended macro training and PKs:
Everybody, be careful out there. Put the cage as close to the center of your house as possible, because PK'ers will use Earthquake and chain lightning or meteor swarm to kill your tamers and pets while you're training. You need to be 4 spaces from the outside of the house to be safe from chain lightning and meteor swarm. You need a 15x15 to have a single space in the center that's safe from earthquake. A 16x16 has 4 squares at the center; a 17x17 has 9 squares, and a 18x18 has 16 squares that are safe. You can set up 2 completely safe training setups, and train 4 pets at once, if you have an 18x18 house.

You're reasonably safe even if your house isn't big enough to be EQ proof, because killing pets with earthquakes is pretty difficult; most PKs won't bother. It takes several characters casting earthquakes one after the other for a long time in order to kill nightmares or dragons. The reason is that an EQ can take you down to 1 health, but it can't kill you or your pet. Somebody else has to cast EQ while you're still at 1 health to kill you. If you're healing the dragons/mares, it takes a LOT of EQs to get a dragon or mare to 1 health. Once it's there, though, another EQ before the bandage kicks in and it's dead. It's a lot easier to kill your character with EQs. Once your character's dead and can't heal the pet, it's easier for the PKs to kill it. It's unlikely you'll have this problem, though; the half-dozen PKs who would be casting the EQs are also damaging each other and they're using all their mana to cast the EQs. They'll all have maybe 10 mana and 10 health each for an hour. A single blue wandering thru the area can just cast a chain lightning and take them all out before they can bring in the healthy characters they've got parked a screen or two away.

If you can afford it, get a pet summoning ball to rescue trapped pets. Griefer PKs have a bad habit of boating pets. When you recall home, you may find 3 of them hidden at your door, camping you. They will synch cast expl/e-bolt to insta-kill you, then lure the mare you were riding to a boat and take it out to the middle of the ocean to sit till it goes wild. Somebody did that to me a few weeks ago. Fortunately, he was too smart for his own good; he rez killed my character on the boat and put small tables all over the deck around my character so it couldn't move. Then he sailed the boat to the middle of the ocean. I was just stuck there as a ghost, unable to move, for hours while he just sat there. However, after he finally recalled or logged out (I maximized the screen to check, he wasn't there any more), I was able to guide the boat to shore as a ghost and use another character to move one of the tables off the deck. The boat was locked, so I couldn't get off the boat, but I was able to get the boat close enough to land for the other character to rez my tamer from shore and recall to town with the pet. If I had a summoning ball, I wouldn't have followed him to the boat and gotten trapped.

By the way: I don't know if there is any way to use a character stuck option on Hybrid; I tried the help menu, but it doesn't seem to have an automatic set up to transport you to town; I would have just lost the pet and not had to sit there stuck for hours if it had worked. Is there any way to get a stuck character to town? Or do we just have to work it out on our own?

Also, I don't know if it works on Hybrid, but the last time I played on Atlantic a few years ago, griefers had another really nasty tactic: They could just take the boat across a server line, kill the pet and dock the boat with the ghost of the pet on deck and the plank out; the bonded pet would poof. It was a common grief tactic that OSI just ignored for years; when you put in a bug report, they would give some crappy canned response that basically said that it didn't happen; the pet went wild or something. But wonderfully happy pets don't go wild in 5 minutes, and besides, how it was done was pretty much common knowledge.

Losing a few pets to boat tricks was one reason why I never maxxed out a tamer on Atlantic (that and the fact that I hated the endlessly repetitive task of uselessly taming bulls for hours to get a .1 gain). After power scrolls and skill jewelry came out, I was able to take my 90ish real skill tamer to legendary by wearing two pieces of +15 skill jewelry, but I never came anywhere close to even GM in real skill.

mano157

Sorceror
I was training two mares today. It was just fine all the day, but now I came to check em and found that one (just one) of my four clients online had crashed, and it was the one who was feeding them. Only the mare that I bought (didnt tame) went wild, killed 2 of my chars that was one tile near and just my tamer survived, I tryed hard to re-tame it but couldnt. The other mare (that I've tamed) was alive and Extremely Happy.
Can someone explain me how can this happen? How can just one client crash, and why just one of my mares went wild while the other was just Extremely Happy?

Paracelsus

Sorceror
A few questions about your training method
1. you order the pets all kill/attack, all stop in the macro
2. from afk start to return, how long?
3. at the start of the training, have you lore both pets? Are they all wonderfully happy?

mano157

Sorceror
A few questions about your training method
1. you order the pets all kill/attack, all stop in the macro
2. from afk start to return, how long?
3. at the start of the training, have you lore both pets? Are they all wonderfully happy?
I say all kill, let em fight for 120s, and then I say "A" stop, "B" stop, and "all come", they regen mana for 80s, loop (with one tamer). I have another tamer one tile far that feed em every cicle. It has worked good, they were almost GM magery.
I'm not sure about the time between start and return, max 3 hours. They were fighting but i didnt check happiness. I think they were receiving food since the macro was running when i checked.
I checked their happiness maybe 5 hours before this happened, it was wonderfully happy. Both were receiving food equaly, when my client crashed, how could just one of em go wild, since the other was extremely happy yet? And just the main client crashed, that pissed me.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
Maybe I assume they are wonderfully happy 5 hours ago. So, for the unattended training (even all players kicked out owing to crash), they should not go wild normally.

One of them go wild probably related to the training macro in the abnormal condition (unstable client). Here is what I can think of

1. Probably your feeder client crashed. So, no longer can feed the mare. The mare cannot improve the happiness by feeding.
(PS: Sometimes, feeding macro (dragging meat) may get stuck if dragging meat in bad lag or server save. It may affect the feeding loop.)

2. The command issuer client is still running. There is chance the command causing the mare to be happier, no change or less happy.
2a) If the mare is wonderfully/extremely happy, it is most likely to be happier or no change.
2b) If the mare is rather happy, it is most likely to be no change or less happy.
2c) if the mare is less happy than rather happy, it will be your real nightmare. It is more likely to be less happy and at a speed you cannot believe.

mano157

Sorceror
Maybe I assume they are wonderfully happy 5 hours ago. So, for the unattended training (even all players kicked out owing to crash), they should not go wild normally.

One of them go wild probably related to the training macro in the abnormal condition (unstable client). Here is what I can think of

1. Probably your feeder client crashed. So, no longer can feed the mare. The mare cannot improve the happiness by feeding.
(PS: Sometimes, feeding macro (dragging meat) may get stuck if dragging meat in bad lag or server save. It may affect the feeding loop.)

2. The command issuer client is still running. There is chance the command causing the mare to be happier, no change or less happy.
2a) If the mare is wonderfully/extremely happy, it is most likely to be happier or no change.
2b) If the mare is rather happy, it is most likely to be no change or less happy.
2c) if the mare is less happy than rather happy, it will be your real nightmare. It is more likely to be less happy and at a speed you cannot believe.
thx for the help Paracelsus, I guess the explanation is that number 2.
I was really unlucky to happen to my best pet that I've bought and couldnt re-tame.

Mondaine

Sorceror
my pet is kinda stuck at 79.3 magery (with discordance). in that case is 50 secs med time and 50 secs casting time the best ratio to do the last 0.7 in magery? or do i have to lower or raise the time?

mano157

Sorceror
my pet is kinda stuck at 79.3 magery (with discordance). in that case is 50 secs med time and 50 secs casting time the best ratio to do the last 0.7 in magery? or do i have to lower or raise the time?
Normal to be slow at 79.3 (discord). The best way to know if your time is good, is to lore your pet after that 50sec of casting and check mana, if it could cast more spells that can raise it's magery (6th-7th cicle), and make sure that 50s of med is enough to regen 100% mana.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
60 mana is okay. But it must be stable 60+ mana at each cast cycle start.
Sorry, sleepy to answer the question in aim last night.

mano157

Sorceror
yes but med to full = more pausing time = less casting time = less chance to gain magery
I was thinking about that. Thats right you'll have more pausing time to med, but not less casting time because with more mana the attacking cycle lasts longer :)
Maybe its just the same thing at the end, since one compensates the other.

Paracelsus

Sorceror
throughout the training process, there is no fixed time if they want the optimal casting. You need to tune the time for the low, medium, and high magery. Just my two cents.