UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Guide to: Running UO/Razor on OSX!

Army of Jobe

Wanderer
Hello, I've loved UO for a long time and I'm so happy to have stumbled upon Hybrid and RunUO. You guys are amazing, and I thank you so much for everything you have done (I've "donated" about $60 and see a lot more going your way!). While I've noticed that some people have made guides to get people started on using OSX/Linux to natively play UO through wine... most of those guides have been incomplete and leave the game slightly less than 100%. This guide will get you up and running with all of the things you love (including hotkeys!).

Anyways, on to what the topic says: Running UO/Razor on OSX. This is a rather complete guide, and I'm looking to make it as easy to use as possible. As a result of this, there is going to be some redundancy and lots of pictures. Even if you are an advanced user, I suggest following all of the steps to ensure that everything (including counters/hotkeys/checkboxes/everything!) works correctly.

Things you'll need to download:
1) WineBottler @ http://winebottler.kronenberg.org
2) Ultima Online Classic Client @ http://www.uoherald.com/downloads
3) Razor @ http://www.runuo.com/razor/download.php

Step 1) Getting everything downloaded and initial Wine setup:

Go to http://winebottler.kronenberg.org and download WineBottler.

Copy both applications "Wine" and "WineBottler" to your Applications folder.

Run "Wine", then click on the Wine Glass located in your top menu bar and select "Change Prefix".

Click "Add" then change the name in "Save As" to something like "Ultima Online". This is going to be the location where your installation of UO and Razor will be located. It's a pretty good idea to leave it in your "Documents" folder, unless you have a specific location already in mind. This process will take a moment to "setup" all of the necessary files and folders for Wine to operate from that location.

Download the Ultima Online and Razor setup files and copy them into the "drive_c" folder of the prefix location you decided on in the previous step. (Example: Documents->Ultima Online->drive_c)

Step 2) Setting up Winetricks:

Click on the Wine Glass located in your top menu bar and select "Winetricks".

Click the check boxes next to the following items:

dotnet20 - This is required to run Razor.
fontfix - This prevents Razor from crashing when people use custom fonts in chat.

The following two are optional! These fix an issue with checkboxes and drop boxes not displaying properly in Razor. If you apply these, the very bottom of your Razor screen will not be seen because of the fixed dimension of the Razor client (see picture).

gdiplus - This allows checkboxes and drop lists to work correctly in Razor.
wininet - This fixes a crash in Razor's "Help & Status" tab.

Press the "Apply" button and work your way through the Next->Next->Next installs as you would normally do on a windows computer. This process might take a few minutes, as each package will be downloaded and installed.

Step 3) Setting up Wine for UO/Razor:

Click on the Wine Glass located in your top menu bar and select "Configuration".

Click on the "Graphics" tab and uncheck the "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" check box. This will allow Razor's counters/timers to show up as they had been intended to.

Step 4) Installing UO and Razor:

From Finder go to your prefix ("Ultima Online" folder in "Documents") and navigate to "drive_c->Program Files", in that folder create a "Electronic Arts" folder then create an "Ultima Online Classic" folder inside of that folder. Giving you a folder hierarchy of "drive_c->Program Files->Electronic Arts->Ultima Online Classic". This step is necessary because some versions of the Ultima Online installer can't seem to create the directory structure on it's own.

Click on the Wine Glass located in your top menu bar and select "File Manager"

Double-click the "UOClassicSetup" file to install the UO Classic client, this should progress in the manner you're used to. If you find you're self not being able to select a destination folder, you probably skipped the first part of this step. You need to quick the installed, then create the folders I listed, then relaunch the installer.

Once the UO Classic client has been installed, navigate to the UO directory in "File Manager" and double-click the "UO.exe" file to begin the patching process.

After UO has been completely patched, you can install Razor. This is accomplished by navigating to the location of the "Razor_Latest.exe" file and double-clicking it. This install should proceed as normal and requires no special steps/work-arounds.

Step 5) Configuring X11:

While you still have the "File Manager" open and as the current window, click on the "X11" at the top menu bar (Near the Apple icon) and choose "Preferences".

Under the "Input" tab check the boxes next to "Follow system keyboard layout" and "Enable key equivalents under X11" and "Option keys send Alt_L and Alt_R". This will allow Razor and UO to use custom shortcut/macro keys, including "Control/Alt+<key>" shortcuts.

Step 6) Create a shortcut/alias for Razor/UO.

Once everything else is down, use Finder to navigate to the location of your installed Razor. Control+Click on the "Razor.exe" file and "Make Alias". Name the newly made alias something like "Ultima Online" and copy it to your desktop/applications/menubar and use that icon to launch the game!

Step 7) Play UO!!

Thank you everyone for reading this guide and please, let me know if there are any questions or corrections that you think need to be made. It took me an hour or so to get this all going, figuring out how to get hotkeys/shortcuts to work took me the longest, but I'm 100% satisfied with the results.

P.S. I know this belongs in the guides section, but I was unable to post there. If a mod could please move this, that would be greatly appreciated.

Army of Jobe

Wanderer
That's a totally workable solution for most. I just found UO Hybrid about a month ago and wanted to play so bad that I set up Bootcamp. It worked great, but switching back and forth was a huge pain. I then moved on to VMWare, which was considerably less great. Maybe Parallels has better memory management, but after a few hours on VMWare my system (an aging late 2010 iMac) was all but un-usable. I find that this solution (Wine) works best for me, in that, it doesn't kill my system and it runs natively without restarts.

I actually got my start on all of this by finding a post you had made some time ago. I'd used Wine a lot back in college when I thought Linux was the best thing ever, and figured I'd give it a shot. After figuring out the problem with checkboxes and hotkeys not working, I was elated and figured I'd share my work... incase anyone else out there was in the same pickle as I was.

Thanks for giving it a look, and responding with another solution for those other OSX (newb) users out there like me. :)

Army of Jobe

Wanderer
Hey Crazy Cracker,

If you could post a copy of the error and the log from Wine (Click on the Wine glass icon and choose "Show Wine Long"), that should get us going on solving your problem.

Just a few things to check:
1) Did you install UO to the "c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/Ultima Online Classic/" directory?
2) Did you install both the "dotnet20" and "fontfix" Winetricks? These are necessary and are not optional.
3) Are you in the correct prefix?
If you are trying to run UO.exe from the File Manager you might need to click on the Wine Glass and make sure the "current prefix:" is the "Ultima Online" prefix you created in step 1. If you are not, click on "Change Prefix" and double click on the "Ultima Online" prefix.​
If you are trying to run UO.exe from Finder, when you double click UO.exe it will pop up with a "Run with Wine" window, make sure that in the prefix drop down box you have your "Ultima Online" prefix selected.​

Good luck!

DiSpLaCeR

Sorceror
Hey Jobe, I installed this lasnite and I have having an issue. Everything is in and Razor loads up but once the client starts to load (the window opensb ut no images yet just the gauntlet cursor) it crashes. Any suggestions? Also when I lick "wine log" nothing happens.

Army of Jobe

Wanderer
Ok, we'll see if we can figure this out.

First: Click on the Wine Glass and click on "Preferences", then make sure the middle check box (Wine error messages) is checked. This will likely solve your problem with "Show Wine Log" not working.

Second: Make sure that when you run razor and it asks if you want to use Wine that you have the correct prefix selected selected in the dropbox where it says "Run directly in" then choose the base directory where you installed UO/Razor.

DiSpLaCeR

Sorceror
fixme:sync:CreateMemoryResourceNotification (0) stub
err:eek:le:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Ultima"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d9a0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing.resources"
fixme:dciman:DCICreatePrimary 0x5cc 0x39812ac
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"mscorlib.resources"
fixme:sync:CreateMemoryResourceNotification (0) stub
err:eek:le:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Windows.Forms"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Drawing"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Ultima"
fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32d9a0,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:dciman:DCICreatePrimary 0x5cc 0x39812ac
fixme:eek:le:eek:LEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {c3fcc19e-a970-11d2-8b5a-00a0c9b7c9c4}
fixme:eek:le:eek:LEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {b196b283-bab4-101a-b69c-00aa00341d07}
fixme:eek:le:eek:LEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {00000003-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:eek:le:eek:LEPictureImpl_QueryInterface () : asking for un supported interface {00000144-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"Razor.resources"
err:eek:le:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
fixme:x11drv:sync_window_opacity LWA_COLORKEY not supported
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Xml"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.resources"
fixme:shell:URL_ParseUrl failed to parse L"System.Configuration"
fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:wave:AudioUnit_SetVolume independent left/right volume not implemented (1.000000, 1.000000)
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate DirectSound not implemented
fixme:wave:wodDsCreate The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 2d0c04
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x428082

Army of Jobe

Wanderer
Are there more than one Prefix listed in the "Run directly in:" drop down box? Are you certain that you installed the dotnet20 and fontfix Winetricks? If you're certain, try installing the lib32-ati-dri Winetrick.

DiSpLaCeR

Sorceror
Th ere are a few for counterstrike, gta but its selected to the UP one I made. I cant find the last winetrick you mentioned on the list.