UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Guide For Throwing Explosion Pots

Mara

Knight
Re: Guide For Throwing Explosion Pots

It's possible to do a macro, but it will only hold you back in the long run, because there are times when you need to ditch a pot by throwing it somewhere else, yourself on the run, etc. The people that play at the highest levels all activate, cancel out, and come back to the pot (reactivate it) and throw it when it's the right time manually (using just hotkeys for Drink Explosion, Cancel Current Target, Last Target, Target Self, etc. - not a macro). It will help you WAY more in the long run.

You throw the pot as close as you can to the 1 second left point, without going past the 1 (generally a little before you expect to see the 1 appear because of human reaction time). This is because it takes 1 second for the pot to travel through the air and then fall on the tile of your target. If you throw it too early, the person will be able to move out of the way of it once it falls to the ground. The limiting situation is throwing pots at people while they are on the run mounted. If you throw it too early, it is also possible for people to reactivate it when it hits the ground and then throw it back at you (called pot kicking by players), but this is not possible if you throw your pots perfectly (or close). If you wait until there is less than 1 second left, the pot wont be able to make it to your target, and thus it will blow up on yourself. Ping plays a role in getting the best feel for this, as with a higher ping, you throw the pot a bit farther(earlier) before the 1 comes up.

If you are into music, a good method of getting good at this is to get into the habit of counting down with your timer in sixteenth notes or maybe eight notes if you have really high ping. For example, with sixteenth notes, I would say 2 e + a, and try reactivating the pot at the +(And), and then throwing at the 'a'. I have really good ping at the moment, so I actually reactivate at the 'a' and throw at a 't' (32nd note) before the 1 comes up. After doing this for a while to get a feel for it, throwing a bunch of lesser explosions at monsters or your friends as they run around, you won't need to count anymore, you will just have a feel for it.

The macro deal is possible, but like I said, it will hold you back in the long run, because you have to be able to react on the fly to what is happening in a fight. A macro style player is far less agile in their ability to mix explosion potions into spells and other tasks. I could simply choose to poison you at 1.5 seconds for example, and see if you will cure pot, and then your macro isn't going to throw until after the 1.0 sec point because of the object delay chain. Or, I could stun you and share the damage if I wanted, started out with better health, and then kill you when you should have ditched the pot, or tried to throw it behind me. I hope you make the right choice.

Poker Face

Wanderer

Thank you Mara :) you made me consider certain aspects that havent came to my mind before, especially with the sharing the damage. It's been awhile so i really appreciate all the help :)

Mara

Knight

No problem. There is an awful lot to it that you can't really perceive at first. If you ever watch the tournaments with explosion pots enabled, you will see a lot of things being done that are very complex, with both players having pots counting down at the same time, with decisions being made in a fraction of a second. It took me a long time to really even be able to see what the hell was going on with them. Explosion pots, just like Meteor Swarm, do damage in a 5x5 box centered around the target tile, so that also creates a lot of interesting things out there, and it is also the reason why there is such a small window of time when you can successfully throw them to hit a person with a pot if they are running and mounted at the time you throw it (or rather when it hits the ground to be precise).

As far as sharing damage, it can be a great technique in certain circumstances. 2 players/mobiles both taking damage from the same explosion pot will both take full damage from it, while 3-4 will see it spread out a bit (less than full damage), and 5-6 mobiles even less, although it's been a while since I looked into that. Just a lot of things going on with it that make it very interesting and complex if you can get to a point where you can perceive it, and do things to manipulate it. Hopefully the information on when you need to throw the pots to have them hit people successfully on the run was useful though. I still miss fairly often, because there is usually so much going on in a fight to pay attention to, but the versatility of being able to react to situations on the fly is invaluable to me. Good luck out there.

supaf1y

Traveler

What about Alchy dexxers? since i dont need to cast is it a little different? i do have 100 magery to cure/ greater heal those rare times. What hotkeys would i need and whats the proper technique? thanks

Mara

Knight

I don't know man. I know how to do an awful lot of things that I choose not to. Don't be so quick to turn this game into a battle of the macros, ganks, and cheap tactics. If you do, you'll miss out on a great game called UO.

Devil'sKnight

Wanderer
Try this...
Exec.Explosion
Wait for target
Exec. Last target
Double Click Potion
Pause 1 sec
Exec Energy Bolt
Pause 1.40 sec
Exec Last Target
Pause 1 Sec
Exec last target...

There aren't too many practical times where you could use this, (I pulled this off once while polymorphed) but it's to show how things work.
I never cancel out my potion keys, because razor can just start another potion in your pack.
Just keep in mind whatever you do first whether it be spell or potion will target last. Meaning the new targeting cursor will cover the old until it is prompted.