UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Guide For Throwing Explosion Pots

i like dirt

Sorceror
Guide For Throwing Explosion Pots

If you are trying to figure out how to throw purple potions in the middle of combos, I'll lay it out for you pretty simple and give you some advice as how to learn to toss some purple pots.

If you don't already know when to throw them... get a couple kegs of lesser explosion potions and grab a buddy to run around your screen while you chuck potions at him. The time you want to toss is half-way through the 2 count on the potion. It might take a little bit of time to get used to this... but afterwards, you'll be able to chuck potions @ people while you're on the move.

After you get a feel for when to throw potions, you're ready to start trying to toss and combo people at the same time. Get used to how long it takes for the spell explosion to pull up the cursor. To be most efficient, you want to activate the potion and cancel it as fast as you can RIGHT before the explosion spell's cursor comes up. If that doesn't make sense, let me try to explain in another manner...

To make the combo most efficient, you want all the damage to hit at the same time. Depending on the 2nd spell you cast, you should wait less/longer to drop the explosion and start your combo on someone. Typically, I wait for the 3 counter to drop my explosion. Hence what I said in bold above. If you get a potion with a 3 counter, and you are activating it right after you start casting the explosion spell, your time on the combo will be off and it will be easily healed. Hence why you want to wait until the very moment before the explosion spell cursor comes up. It gives you time to think.

I can't explain the feeling of the times of all the different spells to combo with, but you will just have to try them and get a feel for when you drop the combo on people. In time it will become a second nature. This is where alchemy + magery gets to be a colorful science in that there is so much to do with it. Everyone has their own favorite combos... you just gotta get used to casting while tossing. It's not gonna come overnight, but it will be worth it in the long run. Timing is everything.

Step by step, the whole run should look like this...

1.Cast Explosion
2.Activate purple potion
3.Hit esc
4.Drop explosion on target
5.Begin casting followup spell
6.Re-activate purple potion cursor via the same hotkey you started the "cook" timer with.
7.Throw the purple potion half-way through the 2 timer.
8.Drop the final spell on the target

It looks like a lot, and it is... You need to be able to do a lot of thinking simultaneously at first, but as I said... it will become almost a second nature when you get good at it. I hope this clarifies a lot for you guys and have fun practicing!

-i like dirt

P.S. Due to request... here are some pics of key points in the procedure. The combo in example is explo/EB + explosion potion. In order to get used to the timing of things, be de-mounted and get used to the timing on when you start to cook your purple potion

Colors on the cursor mean the following
Purple - Purple pot cursor
Red - Explosion spell cursor
Blue - Energy Bolt spell cursor

Step 1, cast explosion. When your character is in the following position, start your potion.

Step 2, Cancel the explosion potion cursor via escape before the explosion spell cursor comes up. The potion will continue to "cook", but you will have the cursor for the spell. When the potion timer hits 3, you want to drop your spell on the target and proceed to cast energy bolt. It will look like this...

Step 3, Begin casting energy bolt on the same target. But before the cursor for the spell comes up, you want to re-activate your purple potion using the same macro you used previously to start the timer. When it is half-way through the 2 count, you want to throw the potion, demonstrated here...

Step 4, Finally, after you throw the purple potion, your energy bolt cursor should come up and you just drop that on the same target as fast as you can to complete the combo.

You can try replacing the spell energy bolt with other spells to, do throw a twist on this method of using purple potions in combat. If you want to see an example of me using Explosion+Explo pot+Earthquake, you can watch it at the following link. It was kind of sloppy in the example here, but it's the combo in its full effect, regardless.

http://videos.uogamers.com/view.php?videoId=95395

Hope these examples help.

space pirate

Wanderer
Re: Guide For Throwing Explosion Pots

5.Begin casting followup spell
6.Re-activate purple potion cursor via the same hotkey you started the "cook" timer with.
7.Throw the purple potion half-way through the 2 timer.
8.Drop the final spell on the target

after i start casting my ebolt i reactivate the purple pot but then how do i throw the pot?? all that happens is i cast the ebolt and the pot explodes on me...

i like dirt

Sorceror

You need to throw the purple pot before your ebolt cursor comes up. Otherwise, the ebolt overrides the pot and you can't throw it anymore. Throw halfway through the 2 count on the potion. You might be activating the potion too early through the explosion spell, and that could potentially be giving you less time to throw the pot through the ebolt. Try timing it a little bit different. If you are waiting too long to do the combo, that could be a problem too. Drop the explosion and cast EB IMMEDIATELY after the timer says 3.

Then, once the timer is halfway through the 2 count, you want to throw the potion at the target, the EB cursor should quickly follow the potion cursor. The cursors will come up like this...

(cast explotion) - Explosion pot cursor - escape - exlposion cursor - click target - (cast ebolt) - pot cursor - click target - EB cursor - click target

Maybe that will make more sense... if not, I can take screen shots of the whole procedude.

i like dirt

Sorceror

Alchemy ONLY gives a bonus to explosion potions. At 0 alchemy, you can do 10-20 damage per purple potion. At GM alchemy, you can do 20-30. So in essence, you get an extra point for each 10 skill in alchemy you have. It sounds little, but 30 damage with a purple potion is killer and you are guaranteed to do at least 20.

EDIT: Btw... Daft Punk kicks ass. Homework and Discovery are awesome CD's.

Dream Theater

Sorceror

im going to make an alchy mage, are those skills correct?
med
mage
resist
anat
wrest
alchy
eval

and can someone tell me the order to traim em?
and how to train alchy plzzz :D

i like dirt

Sorceror

Mage med eval resist wrestle anat alchemy are the skills.

TRAIN ALCHEMY FIRST. I cannot stress this enough. Crafting skills are the hardest skills to do on this server, and alchemy is a fairly expensive commitment.

2nd - Resist
3rd - mage
4th - wrestle
5th - med

Anat and eval are the easiest, therefore... should be done last. You can trap an animal in your house or tell it to stay in town and just macro the use of the skill on it and get your gains that way.

To train alchemy, you are going to need a # of mortar and pestles (available at your local alchemist/mage shop). Make sure you either make the character starting with 50 alchemy skill and 50 resist. These are the hardest to gain in and should be done before any other skills. You want to do potions that you only have a 30-40% success chance in. just look @ the details of the potion in the mortar and pestle gump window. I used to do poison potions to GM, but after making a couple alchemists, I figured that I could gain and make kegs for myself, so I'd make gcure and gheal and gexplo kegs while I gained. Just some thinking ahead for you guys.

Good luck.

Flipper

Knight

dont forget to take notice of your lag, if you're missing a lot of pots but you know you're throwing them well, that's probably the issue.

i throw my pots before halfway through 2 because i ping 200+ to the server, so i have to do things in advance

try throwing pots at people while running (practice with lesser explodes so they dont have to heal and you conserve items) and work on the timing. it's different for everyone.

Oh Em Gee

Wanderer

Just fyi when doing a pot combo it isn't necessary to cancel the pot, the explo cursor will override the pot cursor.

In addition's to Flipper's post, if you keep missing pots it also helps to change your object delay, personally I have it on 133. This way you can throw your pots a bit later.

soemthing i realized when i started my alchy dexxer alchy scribe mage was that *THROW IT INBETWEEN 2 AND 1* is TERRIBLE advice.

being a percussionist sort of made it easy to learn how to time them. if you have any music training it will help. think of the timer as quarter notes. so you have

4 - 3 - 2 - 1
3 - 2 - 1

so you are supposed to hit inbetween the 2 and 1, but if you hit it too close to the 2 you fail to hit the player, and too close to the one you get owned.

now think about how you would measure it in sixteenth notes

4 - e - and - uh - 3 - e - and - uh - 2 - e - and - uh - 1
3 - e - and - uh - 2 - e - and - uh - 1

i have found the best way to time them is by throwing them on the uh part inbetween 2 and 1 if i have good ping, and on the and part when im lagging or fighting a mage that is casting alot and not running.

and if you want to get super technical on it take it to 32nd notes

4 - e - and - e - and - e - and - uh - 3 - e - and - e - and - e - and - uh 2 - e - and - e - and - e - and - uh - 1

ive tried counting this way and its a bit rough because the timer is pretty fast but if you are really good at counting time you could probably do it this way. hit inbetween the last e or the and depending on the lag situation.

hope this helps

Turner13

Sorceror

mmp;2113014 said:
how to put the explo pot's cursor back on???.....

hit your explo pot key again to recactive the pot and get the cursor back up

U

Unregistered

So why do you have to activate then cancel the explosion pot, only to reactivate the explosion pot again? Is this the only way to glitch it? Is this why noone bothers with any other range weapons here?

I remember when Warcraft was big years ago. After a while the nerds learned that they could win every time by "Grunt Rushing". That is making one or 2 grunts and attacking the enemy base right when the game started. So if you didn't use this tactic and played someone who did you lost. It took the fun out of the game.

ABM

Wanderer

no basically canceling out of the exlposion pots helps you know when the eplosion (spell) is up because the cursor will come back ... but if you dont cancel it the spell will override the pot anyways but you have to practice the timing of how long it takes to cast the spell but after u drop the spell u can reactivate the pot still its just easier if you know which cursor is up unless of course u r perfect with the cast time =]

p.s. u shld register =]

U

Unregistered

Why play an archer if you can be a full blown mage or dexxer that also can do 20-30pts range damage?

ABM

Wanderer

Unregistered;2118872 said:
Why play an archer if you can be a full blown mage or dexxer that also can do 20-30pts range damage?

thats y no one plays archers much also there 2 slow

Poker Face

Wanderer

Does anyone know the razor pot macro for timing where it throws auto? I just came back from a 2 year break from uo and was wondering if anyone had it. Thanks :)