UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

GTA4 Prediction Thread

Which system will sell the most copies of GTA4

• XBox 360

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Playstation 3

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Who cares? I'm still playing Call of Duty 4...

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

psz

Administrator
Re: GTA4 Prediction Thread

Nottheking;391602 said:
People like their gunmetal gray... :p

I'm all for gunmetal grey... I prefer black, but as the Saturn Sky has shown, gunmetal grey can and does look hawt at times. But to cut the HD capcity in HALF *AND* charge $100 more?!? Sumfin' ain't right cheer...

Oh, and though the "N" in NPD is for National, I recall that they actually tracked all North American numbers, which would account for the ~10% or so of the sales that are in Canada. :p (Canada having slightly over 10% of the USA's population...)

Most people in the US think that Canada's made up of 72 guys, 53 women, and a whole lot of moose.

And beer.

EDIT: Ok, this is getting silly... Looks like Haze is joining Halo 3 and PS3-GTA4 in the "Sub-HD" catergory... It will actually run at lower res than Halo3 or GTA4... We're inching closer to Wii-res day by day...
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/19/haze-says-no-to-hd-yes-to-hdd/

Where'd all the "YOU MUST HAVE AN HDTV TO REALLY APPRECIATE OUR GAMES!!!!" go from MS/Sony?

psz;391637 said:
I'm all for gunmetal grey... I prefer black, but as the Saturn Sky has shown, gunmetal grey can and does look hawt at times. But to cut the HD capcity in HALF *AND* charge $100 more?!? Sumfin' ain't right cheer...
It's a very EXPENSIVE kind of gunmetal gray, obviously.

psz;391637 said:
Most people in the US think that Canada's made up of 72 guys, 53 women, and a whole lot of moose.

And beer.
And they are wrong to think that there's that many females there for that many males... It's more like 32-40 women. And they forget the geese, and the horses. What else would their police ride if they didn't have them? (the horses, that is, not the geese)

psz;391637 said:
EDIT: Ok, this is getting silly... Looks like Haze is joining Halo 3 and PS3-GTA4 in the "Sub-HD" catergory... It will actually run at lower res than Halo3 or GTA4... We're inching closer to Wii-res day by day...
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/05/19/haze-says-no-to-hd-yes-to-hdd/
Let's not forget all the other games that were already there; Oblivion on the 360 runs at the same 576p that Haze will on the PS3. It is 720p on the PS3, though it lacks anti-aliasing there as well. And Call of Duty 4 is 600p on both the Xbox 360 and PS3, and uses only x2 AA rather than x4 AA. (link, SLIGHTLY off since I found that Oblivion on the 360 is 576p, particularly noting the "official screenshots" which are 1024x576)

psz;391637 said:
Where'd all the "YOU MUST HAVE AN HDTV TO REALLY APPRECIATE OUR GAMES!!!!" go from MS/Sony?
That seemed to conveniently vanish around the time the Wii started to leave the other consoles in the dust with a 720x480 resolution. And upon the realization in conjunction as well that, in truth, the average joe apparently can't tell the difference between EDTV and HDTV.

Resolution's kinda over-rated anyway. In this era where PC gaming is typically defined by enthusiasts with resolutions STARTING at 1600x1200, (and reaching 2560x1920 and up) I'm still fine with 1024x768, and even the 480p from the Wii. I just wish THAT had anti-aliasing, though, as it becomes painfully apparent at many points.

psz

Administrator

On my old screen, I could tell 720 from 1080... Then again, it was a 25in screen and I was a foot away :-P

On THIS screen, it's a bit "better" in terms of seeing a difference, although I still see (pretty plainly) the difference between 720 and 1080... Just not AS much (52in screen).

Then again, as my in-game screenshots from the PC version of Oblivion proved to me (running at 1920x1080, no AA), I can see the "jaggies" even at the "highest" resolution of HDTV currently.

And Oblivion came out for 360 before the Wii, so that's not a valid excuse on that one ;->

psz;391788 said:
And Oblivion came out for 360 before the Wii, so that's not a valid excuse on that one ;->
Hah. A lot of gamers WISH that Oblivion had been ported to the Wii! My experiments with Oblivion and my studies of the Wii show that it technically would be possible to do so, looking something kinda like this. (1, 2, 3, 4)

As for the PS3's lack of support of AA in its version of Oblivion, it's very simple... The PS3's "reality synthesizer" is simply a hacked-down version of the G70 as it's found in the GeForce 7800GS graphics card. The main difference is that it has a 128-bit memory interface rather than a 256-bit memory interface, as the PS3 has only 4 chips of VRAM.

And because the G70 cannot use AA at the same time as Oblivion's HDR, the same goes for the PS3.

psz

Administrator

Ouch... Even at the lower res, Haze is getting plastered with bad reviews citing "unnacceptable frame rate drops" and "environments that refuse to load".

And I was interested in Haze, back when it was multi-platform... :-<

I'm still waiting for some more scrutinuous reviewers to get to GTA4. Yes, they're quite good, but from my own experience thus far, they still kinda lack the polish (ESPECIALLY in regards to outright glitches) and have some glaring holes (the lack of multiplayer on a SINGLE CONSOLE) in order to be considered "perfect." I mean, same-console multiplayer should be a PRIORITY for console games... If you can't sit down next to a buddy and play with them, you may as well have it on the PC.

pbguy434

Knight

You guys better be debating on what my prize is for being so close.

It also better be good.

psz

Administrator

It's Unreal based and thusfar almost all the Unreal based 360 to PS3 ports suck? ^_^

The fact PB isn't a PS3 fan? ^_^

The fact PB isn't a BioShock fan? ^_^

The fact that PB hates most of humanity and would much prefer his prize be a key to the Playboy mansion with an unlimited supply of alchohol and private invites from Metal bands? ^_^

pbguy434

Knight

psz;392926 said:
The fact that PB hates most of humanity and would much prefer his prize be a key to the Playboy mansion with an unlimited supply of alchohol and private invites from Metal bands? ^_^
I could totally go for that.

psz;392926 said:
Sex? EW! Booze? EW! Metal? EW!

Why have THAT when you could have a game on the PLAYSTATION 3?! WAY better than some silly Playboy Mansion! I mean, it can go ONLINE and it can play BLU-RAY movies! ^_^