UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Flipper's UOGamers: Hybrid PvP Guide

Phobea

Wanderer
Re: Flipper's UOGamers: Hybrid PvP Guide

This is actually very good. It tells you down to the very last detail from how to create your characters template to how to fight in PvP! Awesome guide you made here.

D

Dyfu

I'm thinking about doing the following template wise: Alch + Scribe + Mage + Resist + EI + Med + X

Where X = Wrestling, Anat, Hide, or Heal

My questions:

1) Does having wrestling automatically give defensive wrestling bonuses, or must you have Anat + EI?

2) What are your thoughts on *not* having defensive wrestling (how important is it?) and instead having heal? Can you always have a heal macro going on you as a mage, or does it disrupt your attempts to sync damage with pots?

3) Same thing as #2, except having hide instead of heal. Worthwhile? Solo vs group?

4) And finally, can someone please explain to me what the specific benefits of scribe are? I mean, I know it gives duration on reactive armor, circles on magic reflect, and 50%->75% less interrupts on protection. But, I'm new - what *are* circles of reflection? What does reactive armor do? Make you take less damage? How about protection... anything else besides the interruption protection? Are there any benefits to scribe besides these things?

I know it's a lot - thanks in advance!

Flipper

Knight

1)
Wrestling at 100 does give defensive (and offensive) bonuses, but not the 120 defensive wrestling that eval+anat give. However, if you're wondering whether wrestling alone is enough - yes.

2)
Wrestling, whether through EI+anat or simply by the skill itself, is necessary to balance your character. I did it too, when I first started - ignored things that I didn't see an obvious impact with.

However, wrestling is a necessary subtlety. NOT taking 75 damage from an axe shot is what it gives you... which, of course, you don't notice because you've probably always had wrestling. Without wrestling, you will be handing your opponent a huge damage bonus; it is not necessary to make the character work, no, but it is far more beneficial than any alternative.

3)
Hiding is a completely worthless PvP skill in all aspects. It offers you nothing when there's an actual fight going on, and therefore is detrimental to keeping the advantages balanced. By taking hiding on a PvPer, you're dropping yourself to 6x solely when it matters - not something you really want to do, is it?!

4)
Circles of reflection are the number of circles that will be reflected off you using the Magic Reflection spell.

It is, for a non-scribe with GM Magery, 8 circles. That means if someone fireballs you (a 3rd circle spell), you will have 5 circles left and the fireball will reflect. Then, if they Energy Bolt you, it will go through and will kill off your reflect... this is because EB is a 6th circle spell, and you had 5 circles of reflection left.

If a spell exceeds the number of circles you have left on your reflect, it will not be reflected and will remove all their reflect. That's why I usually Mana Drain (I resist the reflected spell when it hits me), then Mindblast - because if they aren't a scribe, they will lose the rest of their reflect (having had only 4 circles remaining after the 4th circle Mana Drain gets reflected) AND the Mindblast will go through; this gives me a slight jump on them, and it's because I know how circles of reflection work.

This is why people will "re-reflect" when something small hits them, then they leave combat. They take off their own reflect by targeting themselves with spells, then wait to recast it - this is so that they have a "fresh" set of circles of reflection.

GM Scribe adds 7 circles, totalling 15. It's huge - and alchy/scribe is an excellent solo vs. group or group vs. group build, and personally I think the only better PvP build out there today is alchy/stun. Scribe/alchy is amazing in group fghts where everyone knows how to use pots.

Protection is awesome in duels, and scribe helps. It doesn't do anything but prevent spell disruption, which is HUGE if you're tricky with it. UO fights can easily be won using surprise, and if your opponent is counting on the fact that he just disrupted your spell, yet he didn't because you had protection, he won't know what hit him when you drop the spell you're holding. It's a bit more of an advanced tactic, which I'm sure you'll pick up and understand in time.

Reactive Armor stops gimp dexxers and (especially) tank mages cold for a short time. It gives you a certain amount of damage that is absorbed by a weapon hit. Once it's gone, you will take full damage again. It reflects a small amount of damage back at the person hitting you, too. Great spell when fighting vs. a group of dexxers or 1v1, but because it's first circle I rarely go into battle with it on already... usually starting with Magic Reflect, because it's almost guaranteed to be useful and can be taken off and switched out with Protection or Reactive Armor much easier.

So, in short -

MR gives you circles of reflect, each circle is like a "credit" against spells against you, and scribe gives you 15 circles... so two EBs would leave you with 3 circles left, and a fireball would get reflected but a lightning wouldn't (because lightning is 4 circles, one more than that which you had left). MR lasts until your reflect runs out.

RA stops much of incoming melee damage until the amount of damage it protects has been prevented. It lasts until it runs out.

Prot is good in 2v2s and stuff like that, and is on a timer. With scribe it will prevent disruption most of the time, but not always.

There's even more information in the Q+A section about these particular spells =)

Flipper

Knight

major revisions and updates to the original guide coming soon =)

Hope6887

Squire

Flipper u are the boom for writing this guide and I promise Im not sucking up to you for gold or anything!!!! :)