UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Demise QnA (Feb 26, 2009)

LadyCrimson

Wanderer
Demise QnA (Feb 26, 2009)

Has the trade bug been looked at or is it fixable?
Information about the trade bug has been passed on to Asayre. I have not heard anything back from him about it being in the next release. Now, asking is it fixable.. of course it is - its just a matter of finding the root of the problem.

Which item/skill/spells do you think is the most overpowered?
I opened this question up to all staff members and this is what they had to say:

Athena: I don't think there are any items that are overpowered, each have thier positives and negatives. As for skills, a combination of spellweaving with necromancy is far too overpowered. Being able to animate 3 skeletal dragons and have followers on top of that is nuts. Word of Death would be the most overpowered spell in my opinion.

Crimson: I think there is more an issue with skill combinations than just one skill or one spell. I definitely agree with Xavier about the controlled slots and how they are programmed in but there isn't much to do there until OSI can see the light and make some changes. I think a lot of the problem of having certain spells and skill combos being overpowered can be resolved with improved monster AI - if you have a Dark Father that can blood oath among other things, having a great template is still going to stick you on the "oh crap" list.

Cronus: PvE in General (too easy), Natures Furies, and AFK Inscription.

Xavier: Spellweaving WoD and furies. A costless skill with no secondary skills should NOT be so powerful. Necro animate dead = 1 slot skeletal dragons? no way. A mage cant even have two silly summoned daemons, and only 2 EVs which dont even compare

Who is the player with the oldest account? What character, out of all player characters, has spent the most time online?
Cronus confirmed that its pretty darn rough to determine what the oldest account is, but the oldest player mobile is Larry Lunchmeat, created on Sept 8, 2004. psz weighed in saying that he was pretty sure of active accounts, that Drakull's account is probably the oldest. Now, psz also stated that DaBraink's account is actually older than Larry Lunchmeat (but it seems to be the same household) by 1 day. So... we'll let those duke it out :)

Cronus was also able to identify Galdor [ELF] as having spent the most time in-game weighing in at 318 days, 2 hours, 29 minutes, and 26 seconds.... as of 18 hours ago :)

What does it take to become a coder for Demise and/or to become a web developer to give some support to the webpage? What kind of knowledge do you have to have, if its possible?
Cronus fielded this question for us stating:
I can only speak to my thoughts on becoming a coder, and so I will. A decent knowledge of C#, and the realization that coding for Demise is not like coding for any other server are required. It's not as if you can sit down and say "tonight I'm going to fix [Feature]," because no matter how simple you think the feature may be, it's inevitably ten times more complicated than that.

For each hour of code, you have to be willing to spend hour upon hour pouring through test data. Stealing formulas from Stratics or someone else's forum post someplace doesn't cut it, it has to be correct. Just because you read on a forum somewhere that the chance to hit with shurikens is determined by the ninjitsu skill using the same formula as weapon hit chance doesn't mean jack - you have to do rigorous testing on OSI *of your own* to confirm this.

Coding for Demise is more about reverse engineering formulas by play-testing OSI than it ever is about writing code.

What are the current plans and goals for Demise of the development and administration team of Demise?
This question could really be interpretted two different ways: what is the plans and goals for the shard OR staff/administration team. I think Cronus summed it up best with his response:

Development is naturally focused on continuing to play catch-up with OSI. Staffing focus is simply to maintain an adequate level of *quality* staff such that player issues can be resolved quickly and professionally. Personally, I would rather we have too few staff than end up with the wrong staff.

------------
If you have a question you'd like to ask (that isn't about ML!), please email them to uoladycrimson (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Dilly

Knight
Re: Demise QnA (Feb 26, 2009)

I agree with spellweaving, although it is the template I use. Although I don't really do spawns where I can get skeletal dragons, having 3 lichs, liuch lords, and 5 furies while I go wither bomb is OP although I love it.

:eek:

I think dryad is OP.. it has great stuff for a marty... ki attack is op too, but i love it... I love doing like 80 dmg in 1 hit on people (or more sometimes)

gugutz

Knight

Yay, they published my question! :D

Now its a matter of bust my ass off studying C# and hope for the best :)

Dilly said:
I love doing like 80 dmg in 1 hit on people (or more sometimes)

I though the cap for Ki Attack was 60...?

Dilly

Knight

gugutz;520110 said:

I though the cap for Ki Attack was 60...?

Maybe if they have 70 resist in something, but i've done tripel digits on people with no/little resist and a well placed ki attack, it wouldn't make sense really to have it so someone with 40 and someone with 0 resist in something both cap at 60

gugutz;520110 said:

Question and answer...
being a Demise coder means to be at the end a RunUO coder?

At one side, Ryan is searching (or searched) for RunUO coders, especially for ML. At the other side, LC said is almost impossible to be a RunUO dev.
Anyway, apart ML, in this post:
http://www.runuo.com/forums/announcements/87353-mondains-legacy-4.html#post789199

I read Mark accepts sometimes pieces of code if you create patches and send them via PM or via email to him.

At the moment, looking to TortoiseSVN log about RunUO, looks like Mark is working on optimizations for compiling the core in a Linux environment with Mono.

TheMonk

Wanderer

Raising a skeletal dragon is sort of rare. I don't see how that is more overpowering then a tamer and his hiryu. As a full mage I cant kill a balron on my own unless I trap it and it does not teleport on me. A hiryu kills it fast with a tamer healing. I've been ks'd by way to many tamers.

I wish we could get a spell to make us run faster. Most full mages use some kind of form spell to increase their magic. We lose out when we cant run out of combat.

psz

Administrator

I was completely wrong about Drak... He's a newbie. His account was created something like six months after DaBrainks :-P

DaBraink wins by 1 day.

magic752

Wanderer

psz;520962 said:
Drak... He's a newbie

I don't know who that DaBrainks guy is, but kudos to Drak, he's Demise veteran that still helps newbies. Something that can't be told for most of old time players here...

Crimson: ..... I think a lot of the problem of having certain spells and skill combos being overpowered can be resolved with improved monster AI - if you have a Dark Father that can blood oath among other things, having a great template is still going to stick you on the "oh crap" list.

Cronus: PvE in General (too easy), Natures Furies, and AFK Inscription.

i can remember starting on osi, after playing free shards, and taking a trip to gauntlet. And getting my ass handed to me within 5 seconds of stepping up to the dark father with my Ru. Change in monster AI, in particular for gauntlet would fix any overpowerment.

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

I only have a couple questions for this weeks QnA so if you have any questions, get them in :) email: uoladycrimson *at* yahoo *dot* com

LC

Cronus

and his amazing friends

Gilly;521422 said:
i can remember starting on osi, after playing free shards, and taking a trip to gauntlet. And getting my ass handed to me within 5 seconds of stepping up to the dark father with my Ru. Change in monster AI, in particular for gauntlet would fix any overpowerment.

No one has been compaigning for a full rewrite of RunUO AI harder than me!

LadyCrimson

Wanderer

Cronus;521561 said:
No one has been compaigning for a full rewrite of RunUO AI harder than me!

If you are in first then I'm hot on your heels as 2nd hardest campaigner.

LC

psz

Administrator

And I've been praying for an AI improvement since RunUO was still in the Beta 20's ;->

Fana

Wanderer

Not sure about the spellweaving thing i mean, what else does everyone use spellweaving other than fury and word of death ?

sure necro 3 skelly + 5 furys is op "which might i add is not all the time and in very few locations"
but once a necro has 3 skellys they dont have need to summon fury lol

word of death has long cast and huge mana consumption sure it can deal 220 on a dark father ... but by the time i cast 1 word of death a tamer has done twice as much dmg.

Lucifall

Knight

Fana;524658 said:
Not sure about the spellweaving thing i mean, what else does everyone use spellweaving other than fury and word of death ?

sure necro 3 skelly + 5 furys is op "which might i add is not all the time and in very few locations"
but once a necro has 3 skellys they dont have need to summon fury lol

word of death has long cast and huge mana consumption sure it can deal 220 on a dark father ... but by the time i cast 1 word of death a tamer has done twice as much dmg.

That tamer won't out damage you if you use 5 summons too. The only reason WoD is "slow" here is because it's capped at 2/6. It should be 4/6, which makes it even more overpowered than it is now.