UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

Common Sense

Pepsi_Rox

Knight
If you are a member of UOGamers Hybrid and want to see this place get better, then what is the point of using the forums?

When people aren't given the right to voice their opinions they just bitch about stuff. Really, that's what's driving players away from the shard. It's all the bitching, moaning, and crying about the shard. If it's broke, fix it.

Is it progressive for the shard to restrict the choice of people so they have no other option? So what if their suggestions aren't getting implemented, at least they're being acknowledged publicly and they get some credit for their ideas.

If you've ever read the book Anthem by Ayn Rand this is our current state.

wikipedia tid-bit

" Continuing his scientific work, Equality rediscovers electricity (which he, until the book nears its conclusion, calls the "power of the sky") and the light bulb. He makes a decision to take his inventions to the World Council of Scholars when they arrive in his town in a few days' time, so that they will recognize his talent and allow him to work with them, as well as to make what he sees as a valuable contribution to his fellow men. However, one night he loses track of time in the underground tunnel and his absence from the Home of the Street Sweepers is noticed. When he refuses to say where he has been, he is arrested and sent to the Palace of Corrective Detention, from which he easily escapes after being tortured.

The day after his escape, he walks in on the World Council of Scholars and presents his work to them. Horrified, they reject it because it was not authorized by a Council and threatens to upset the equilibrium of their world. When they try to destroy his invention, he takes it and flees into the Uncharted Forest which lies outside the City"

It's okay to cry about bola tamers, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.
It's okay to bitch about IDOCs, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.

It's okay to whine about items in game, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.

It's okay to post an attack on another player, but it's wrong to search for lost buddies.

It's okay to whine about the lack of motivation to farm, but it's wrong to suggest solutions.

It's okay to post a thread bitching about people bitching, but it's wrong to suggest that people be given another option.

Staff, I ask you look at the threads posted in General Discussion before this thread goes poof. I do honestly hope Ryan takes the time to view this thread, he created this monster of free speach by introducing Ron Paul to the shard, for that, Ryan, I thank you.

first 3 pages...

1. bitching about del pond - instead of suggesting alternatives

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/i-see-what-they-did-there.539076/#post-3992546

2. bitching about pet rules - instead of suggesting how to fix it

http://www.uogamers.com/community/t...ounts-and-cause-other-senseless-grief.539310/

3. bitching about other players

http://www.uogamers.com/community/t...-people-does-it-take-to-kill-teterios.539278/

4. bitching about mares - instead of suggesting an investigation

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/how-does-someone-get-a-jet-black-hued-mare.539029/

5. nothing useful

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/paratwins.539460/

6. direct attacks on other players

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/angry-uo-nerds-holy.538481/

7. poker...

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/poker-anyone.538286/
8. poker...

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/5mil-poker-at-cove.539161/

9. bitching about staff

http://www.uogamers.com/community/threads/why-did-i-get-banned-from-uogamers-irc.539385/

Silly Santa

Sorceror
Uh.. yes.

For a long time players have been in "fear" of being reprimanded ex. banned, suspended or having their suggestion threads being trammeled or deleted - bc new ideas and suggestions were not welcomed here - hence why no-one was offering new ideas for a long time.

Oenomaus

Hybrid Staff Member
If you are a member of UOGamers Hybrid and want to see this place get better, then what is the point of using the forums?

When people aren't given the right to voice their opinions they just bitch about stuff. Really, that's what's driving players away from the shard. It's all the bitching, moaning, and crying about the shard. If it's broke, fix it.

People use the forums to communicate and stay informed.

Even back in the day people "complained", "bitched" and cried their way onto the forums.

I am in agreement that people should voice their opinions. Though I wish many people would sit back a few hours and reflect on their thoughts before posting.

Is it progressive for the shard to restrict the choice of people so they have no other option? So what if their suggestions aren't getting implemented, at least they're being acknowledged publicly and they get some credit for their ideas.

I don't see how people are being restricted.

If you've ever read the book Anthem by Ayn Rand this is our current state.

wikipedia tid-bit

" Continuing his scientific work, Equality rediscoverselectricity(which he, until the book nears its conclusion, calls the "power of the sky") and the light bulb. He makes a decision to take his inventions to the World Council of Scholars when they arrive in his town in a few days' time, so that they will recognize his talent and allow him to work with them, as well as to make what he sees as a valuable contribution to his fellow men. However, one night he loses track of time in the underground tunnel and his absence from the Home of the Street Sweepers is noticed. When he refuses to say where he has been, he is arrested and sent to the Palace of Corrective Detention, from which he easily escapes after being tortured.
The day after his escape, he walks in on the World Council of Scholars and presents his work to them. Horrified, they reject it because it was not authorized by a Council and threatens to upset the equilibrium of their world. When they try to destroy his invention, he takes it and flees into the Uncharted Forest which lies outside the City"

Change it from black to olive green. Its slightly more bearable.

Ayn Rand was a powerful writer. She wrote about glorious individuals. Everyone else that wasn't a beacon of genius and power is a road block.

To put that in context you're trying to say that the staff actively discriminates against its own player base. That we go out of our way to block our player's "valuable contributions" because it wasn't "authorized". Huh, I find that inaccurate, but lets continue on reading.

It's okay to cry about bola tamers, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.

People cry about bola tamers because they lost constantly to them. However, there isn't a player base shift where everyone is fielding a bola tamer, meaning that bola tamers are not that overpowered. I agree there should be a slight tweak to them, which some people do have some good ideas. But to be honest in that thread there seems to be more bitching than suggesting of ideas.

It's okay to bitch about IDOCs, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.

Oh? There have been suggestions about fixing the time of the IDOC itself. In the past I believe that the IDOC time itself was random. Apparently this was a problem in the past. (I wasn't staff when this changed.) Though no one does their research of past topic and find out what other people had issue with making the idocs random.

Most suggestions are posted without thinking of what has been done before.

It's okay to whine about items in game, but it's wrong to suggest a way to fix it.

Hmm this usually how it goes. Somebody has something I don't have, delete it.

Very rarely do people come up with an item that is bugged. One type of item was the unlimited pet summon balls that were somehow in the game. The person reported it, and Mark rewarded the player. All other pet summoning balls that had the same feature were deleted without reward.

There are some occasions where there is an odd item out there and people are curious. I don't personally mind people posting pictures about items like that. If its something that was not earned by a player and some staff is doing some shady staff, then we need to know to correct this. I really do not approve of staff members creating items for players that wasn't approved by admins. Stuff like this does affect the economy of the game and future prizes of our own events that we try to perform.

But with the "suggest a way to fix it" on an item? I do not remember any immediate post about a suggestion to fix an item, unless you count bolas, then you could just combine this topic with "bola tamers".

Wands been changed before and possibly could use a small tweak. Issue with doing any sort of "tweaks" it could be overkill or too soft. Its pretty hard to find a nice happy medium. If there was some hardcore research and evidence to why we should make a change and a broad scope of effects then we may consider it.

It's okay to post an attack on another player, but it's wrong to search for lost buddies.

We do not really support attacks on another player, but if we don't allow it then everyone gets uppity. Also we do have a forum dedicated to looking for players. http://www.uogamers.com/community/forums/players-looking-for-players.92/

It's okay to whine about the lack of motivation to farm, but it's wrong to suggest solutions.

Again with my previous statement. Make a detailed listing to a suggestion. What I have seen in the past was that we should up the gold per a monster, or offer "tokens" on the monsters that could be turned in. Though neither of these types of things are sustainable in long term.

The player base here is full of crazy UO fanatics that would farm the shit out of monsters for a couple months straight and claim every prize. Then we have to start over with new items and repeat until we push ourselves into a corner. Believe it or not, there is a limited amount of items in the game that can be given out. Have too many of a single item in the game and then no one cares about it.

Example, vet rewards. Don't get me started on this...

Staff, I ask you look at the threads posted in General Discussion before this thread goes poof. I do honestly hope Ryan takes the time to view this thread, he created this monster of free speach speech by introducing Ron Paul to the shard, for that, Ryan, I thank you.

hmmm the threads below I do not see the point. You can read my response to each.

The forums have worked in ways where people can post thread that are constructive and informative, then other threads that should've been trashed long ago.

Honestly its pretty embarrassing to have this sort of "del pond" not be or properly addressed. I don't have the authority to change the pond in anyways or perform ritualistic killing of afkers in the pond.

Though, other staff can attest that I have my own little setup for executions of afkers if we are ever allowed to go about addressing this.

The person posting in there is pointing to the humor of the sign. There is no presences of staff telling the poster to change their post or not to give a suggestion. This thread is not even in trammel.

And to say that the poster was too scared to give a suggestion is being presumptuous.

2. bitching about pet rules - instead of suggesting how to fix it

http://www.uogamers.com/community/t...ounts-and-cause-other-senseless-grief.539310/

This goes way back. I am positive you can pull up four to five threads just like this one. Again you're assuming that people are too scared to post a suggestion.

When I reading the thread above, I understand that someone is extremely mad about having their pets lured away. This is obvious. Reading threads is very important to judge how people feel about a topic. When there is a large amount of threads a single issue from various people, we tend to listen and try to find out if there is a way for us to improve the situation.

I don't understand. I think Teterios was just trying to brag that it took a gank squad to bring him down, which I am certain that single person could be capable of the same feat, but its still entertaining to read sometimes.

I don't see how this thread fits in with the rest of your topics.

In a different thread I addressed this. The mare checked out. There is nothing added to the stats of the mare or anything else. Its just jet black. I can't read every thread and respond to every thread.

But I did respond to this topic. Its legit and its not boosted in any of its stats. Its a normal mare with a different hue.

Ok. Why make us read this thread? Its normal to have threads that have no purpose other than the discuss a topic about a person.

Ok, its hybrid, this has been happening for years as you know. Why is this important...

Yes threads like this happen.

Again people just abusing the forums to look for someone to play poker with them. It happens.

They were more asking about to why there banned from irc. Honestly most of the staff do not have the ability to ban anyone from irc channel, nor have a reason to do so.

This wasn't so much of bitching about staff but more about to why they got banned. Wish they gave more information than saying they got banned for saying hello, like time they were on, and their user name ect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main thing I can take away from this thread is that we need to change the culture of the forums itself. Though we shouldn't be against bitching entirely. Bitching and pointing out a problem is what should be promoted, however what needs to be added is creative thought and effort from the forum posters themselves.

If everyone makes an effort in their own posts when to making a suggestion then we can have a real conversation about what needs to be fixed.

I have made some serious suggestions in our own staff forum that do not get approved. You can ask other staff members that I have lengthy posts in the staff forum about things that we can do. Example that you guys already know about is when I do an event like the Hybrid Jeopardy event, I wrote the whole god damn thing before even suggesting it.

I didn't take the lazy approach and said "Lets do a Jeopardy game" without even doing any of the work.

Do the work, present the work to everyone here on the forums and increase your chances of getting something approved. Not everything gets approved. Even with lots of effort, know this and expect it.

But the lack of effort is what smacks in most suggestions given on these forums. The lack of effort will be met with the lack of caring. Have some pride and make a real suggestion.

And if you do not think I do not respond to ideas at all, then you can ask Silly Santa. I have written him many many PMs about his own suggestions and thoughts. I do take the time to dish out response, but I am just one man.

Please filter out the crap and give us your best, not a half baked idea.