UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A try on a newbie FAQ, add anything that's useful

Tiens-hybrid

Wanderer
A try on a newbie FAQ, add anything that's useful

Hey yeah, I thought I could just try and answer the easiest questions in here. Some people have really got an easy question to answer and to make an entire thread for one question, well it would quickly fill up this forum.. So I'll try and sum up some of the knownledge that I've gained here in the past months, aswell as the knownledge I gained from playing OSI over the past years :) (For Mages FAQ) Scroll all the way down

1. What is this shard?

1. This shard is like UO was supposed to be. It's main focus is probably on pvp, even though the Staff tries to make it as much fun for everyone to enjoy.

2. So what are the rules?

2. Rules yeah.. well there's not strict naming policy as far as I can recall, except for the usual Impersonating staff members. Most rules are pretty much self explanitory. Try and be polite and not act like the 'kid who pwned you'.

3. Right, how does the Veteran system work here?

3. The same as on OSI pretty much yeah, except for the fact that one month here is equal to one year on OSI.

4. What are factions?

4. Factions are huge clans of pvping players who like a good old gank. They are great fun but if you are new do not sign up with them untill you get the hang of the shard/game.

5. Which timeset/ruleset is this shard based on?

5. Something like publish 15 for those who are familiar with this term.

6. Do we get a followerlimit for pets?

6. Yes you do, 5 is the max for everyone.

7. Do I get to use Ancient Evil Artifacts?

7. No, luckily Artifacts are disabled here.

8. So what if I don't like the current ruleset, can I ask for it to be changed?

8. You can always suggest something but changing an entire shard is pretty much useless. Perhaps you will find yourself better at home on one of the sister shards of UOG: Hybrid.

9. How do AoE spells work here? (Area of Effect spells)?

9.Currently AoE spells hurt anyone within the radius of the spell, therefor watch out before casting this.

10. How do I make an account here? Do I have to pass some test?

10. Actually you can just go on and create an account right away.

11. What is max amount of accounts I can have?[i/]

11. You can make more than one account right now I believe the actual limit is 5 accounts per ip.

12. Hey I can't make a Necromancer?

12. That's right both Necromancy and Chivalry are not included in this shard.

13. So where do I go from here?

13. Well if you made your character and are happy with it go ahead and play the game. Perhaps try your luck at poker? Or just get a steady income from mining? It's your choice from here on.

14. Why are there almost no player vendors?

14. This is because skill gain is rather easy on this shard and everyone who can has their very own crafting character (mule). If you would like to buy something you should try the forums, there's always a person who has some spare time for some easy cash.

15. So skill gain is easy? How easy?

15. Rather easy, you can probably reach your first grandmaster status in one day if you know the way. If you are an experienced player you can reach 5xgm from dusk till dawn.

16. Allright I got some more questions..

16. This forum here is made for user specific questions but remember before asking anything try and search for something yourself. For example all UO info (Even though not everything is correct anymore) Can be found at uo.stratics.com

Q : If I die as a murderer, will I lose my stats?
A : No, stat loss is not enabled.

Q : How long does it take to work off my murder counts?
A : Short term counts take 8 hours. Long term counts take 40 hours. Once you have less than or equal to four (4) murder counts your are considered innocent.

Q : How do I duel in the duel arenas?
A : In game say, "I wish to duel". Target the player you wish to duel. Then set the rules as you want.

Q : How do I play poker?
A : At the end of each poker table ther is an npc, he is the dealer. Double click the dealer and a menu will pop up, showing you the rules for that specific table.

Also there's alot of help on the forums here, there is even a Faction Specific FAQ and a "How not to get scammed"-article. Don't be afraid to ask a question, just make sure you put an effort in finding the answer yourself.

This FAQ will answer most of the questions concerning the mage (hopefully)... (By Wanev!)

1. What is a mage and what are the basic skills I need to be a mage? (the basics)
2. Tools of a mage (required equipment of a mage and where to get them)
3. What other skills can I take up and which is the best? (template FAQ)
4. Skill Gain FAQ (how to gm the various mage skills)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 1

1a What is a mage?
A mage is a wizard character that can cast magic.

1b What are the basic skills I need to be a mage?
The basic skills are:
1. Magery - Allows you to cast spells
2. Evaluating Intelligence - Adds damage to your spells
3. Meditation - Increases your mana regeneration rate, (both passive/active)
4. Magic Resistance - reduces damage you take from magical spells (a must if you wish to pvp)
5. Wrestling - reduces your chance of getting hit by melee attacks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 2
1a What do I need as a mage?
A full spellbook and reagents.

1b Where can I get a full spellbook?
You can either buy them from players (its harder), or buy the spellbook itself for 14gp, and all the different spell scrolls and put them all into the spellbook yourself, the book plus all the 62 scrolls will cost slightly over 5k I think, but this is dependant on where you brought them at, factions towns' npc prices vary, delucia offers cheaper and more reasonable prices. And YES and mage shop npc sells all the spell scrolls of the game.

2. What is a runebook and where can I get one?
A runebook is a blessed book that can hold marked runes that allows you to recall to marked locations at will. This book is also sold by the mage shop npcs for 2500 gp, the basic type that is that can hold only 6 charges.

3. Reagents, where to get them?
At the mage shop npcs ! grr...
Section 3
Now you must have heard about the different templates of a mage, like the nox/scribe, stun/scribe bla bla bla now here's the FAQ on them.

Now I am not going to list down all the different templates you can take in the game, rather I am going to list down the different complementary skills you can take up besides the basic skills you have chosen.
note: These skills are for PVP and not for economic purposes!

1. Poisoning (nox mage)
The deal about a mage that has gm poisoning is that when he casts poison on somebody, he will infect the victim with Greater Poison, and if he is standing not more than one square away from the target, he will infect the victim with Deadly Poison. The big bonus is that higher levels of poison do more damage, are harder to cure, disrupts the target's spellcasting more AND your poison spell is irresistible!

2. Inscription (scribe mage)
Scribe mages are of defensive nature, their protective spells are 10x more potent than a normal mage's. Gm inscription gives 15 circles of reflect for the magic reflect spell, whereas a normal mage gets only 8 or 9. For a gm scribe, his protection spell will make his spell casting a lot harder to disrupt (not impossible to disrupt, but possibly near impossible), be it by melee/spell attack. Also, his reactive armour can absorb MORE damage before it is nullified. Scribes are said to be untouchable by dexters.....
Note: Any rumour you might have heard that inscription gives bonus to spell damage is false, this change is only bought about in aos, and this shard does not bring in any of those aos crap!

3. Alchemy
Besides being able to make potions himself, a gm alchemist has a bonus in purple potion explosion damage. Gm alchemists DO NOT have bonus when using greater heal potions, they do not heal more, neither do they have bonus at using cure potions.

4. Healing (heal mage)
A mage with gm healing can heal while on the run, his healing is undisruptable by any means and doesn't require mana. Healing gives the mage an additional method of healing which is cheap and reliable, with healing you can also resurrect players. In addition, at gm anatomy and healing, you will never fail to heal deadly poison. Many of the top pvpers and duelers of the shard are heal mages.

5. Anatomy + Wrestling (Stun mage)
If you have gm anatomy and wrestling, you can attempt to stun players using the wrestling stun move, which can be activated at will, then you just need to make a sucessful hit and if you're lucky, your target will be stunned for a few seconds, allowing you to wreck havoc by dumping... Each attempt to stun consumed 15 stamina points.

6. Weapon skills (hybrids)
Some mages may take up weapon skills so they may draw out weapons to continue whacking at their enemies when their mana runs out. Its hard to explain what exactly is the deal about it, just imagine you can whack away without mana, damaging your enemy yet having the capability to heal through mage dumps, and you can finish off enemies by dumping on them when they're damaged enough by your weapons...

7. Anatomy + Evaluating Intelligence (defensive wrestling)
Anatomy and evaluating gives you defensive wrestling, meaning you have the same defense level as a gm wrestler. For example, when someone hits you using a melee attack, you are considered to have the same amount of wrestling as a gm wrestler hence your enemy's chance of hitting you is 50% assuming his weaponskill is at 100. However you do not have the attack level of a wrestler, when you hit someone with your barehands, you are considered to have 0 wrestling, if you do not have wrestling that is. In short, same as a gm wrestler in defending against blows, but without his attack bonuses.

Which of these combination is best? Is nox/scribe better or heal/stun?
This question has been debated over and alot, the answer is none of these combination is better than the other, you can become an uber leet pwnage mage with any of these combination, its just a matter of taste and preference, once you get used to and know how, any of the combination above can be a pwnage temp.
Section 4
Skill gaining is made fast and easy on this shard, here's my guide incorporating a little from others' for gming skills in this shard. I recommend you to go either papua or delucia to get any reagents resources you need as faction towns' prices are unstable and alot higher.

Magery
You don't need 8x8 for magery, just get regs and start casting like crazy
0-30 - buy from npc / cast magic arrow on tillerman / monsters
30-40 - cast fireball
40-50 - lightning (lightning can bring you over 50 close to 60)
50ish-90 - invisibility (gains are slow once you're at 80, but wasting regs can bring you to 90, alternatively you can start on flame strike once you're at 80)
80/90-100 - flame strike

Evaluating intelligence
Either let it be raised through spell casting or you can simply continuously macro use it on someone afk, or on your second client's character till its gm! It raises every time you use it without fail.

Meditation
Spell casting during the process to gm magery will gm meditation faster than you can imagine...Med seems to raise faster during passive mana regeneration periods.

Basically you just need to scribe the spell that uses the least mana and reagents that you don't have a 100% chance of scribing at your level, yet have a reasonable chance of scribing to gm. Can't remember the route I took. Maybe someone can provide a guide for this. My idea location for obtaining scrolls is the delucia mage shop.

Poisoning
No idea. Never gmed it on this shard before, someone please provide info for this. Thx

Wrestling
0-30 - buy from npc, or whack barn animals
30-50 - whack little birds such as lapwing
50-100 - you can gm off eagles, if you don't have tactics/anatomy, it'll be easier cause the eagles won't die so fast, many eagles can be found in the woods and along the road between sakra brae and britain.

Magic Resistance
The magic arrow trick is a bug and the gms have fixed it so it will no longer work now.

An alternative way to gain resist is to go to moonglow docks find a sea serpant and stand back and heal. You can gm from 50 in less than an hour. This is more expensive however. But if you're working healing, this might work well.

Note: Don't be shock when you open up your status window to find all your resist shown there to be 0, this is normal. This shard is pre-aos so we do not have any of that crappy different elements shit so even at gm resist, your elemental resists will be shown at 0 but you will resist magic spells normally.

Anatomy
You can let it raise up while you're training a melee skill, raising healing, or simply keep using it on any player.

Alchemy
No guide available, I haven't made an alchemist on this shard yet too. Someone provide a guide for this, thx.

(If anyone else has anything to add, please do so.. it's late here and I just wanted to try and make something for the new players. I might add more later.)

Tiens said:
3. Right, how does the Veteran system work here?

3. The same as on OSI pretty much yeah, except for the fact that one month is one year here.
Small correction. This should be answered like so; "Identical to OSI, with the exception of one OSI year is one month here. Meaning, you get a veteran reward every 30 days."

Remember when creating your account(s) not to use the same account name / password that you have previously used on other shards (including your OSI shard [if any]).

As far as making money on this shard. It can be obtained fairly easy by killing monsters, or selling goods. Another alternative means to getting started on Gamers, is to make a donation for gold. To find out more check out the UO Gamers Store

What about housing?
Well, there aren't a lot of spots left to place houses. Although if you wait it out houses do go on the market frequently, but for a price.

PvP Your Thing?
Well Gamers has a dueling system waiting for you to use it.

Juvenile

Wanderer
You people are already going all out with info for the newbies, which is good. I am glad to see people who care. Let's let some newbies post questions though!

Add this:
Q : If I die as a murderer, will I lose my stats?
A : No, stat loss is not enabled.

Q : How long does it take to work off my murder counts?
A : Short term counts take 8 hours. Long term counts take 40 hours. Once you have less than or equal to four (4) murder counts your are considered innocent.

Q : How do I duel in the duel arenas?
A : In game say, "I wish to duel". Target the player you wish to duel. Then set the rules as you want.

I see this one a lot.
Q : How do I play poker?
A : At the end of each poker table ther is an npc, he is the dealer. Double click the dealer and a menu will pop up, showing you the rules for that specific table.

That's all I could think of, hope it helped.

Q: I need a bit of GM weapons from a smith to help me hunt, know anyone?

A: AIM Evil666rat, I will provide every new player with free GM weaponary.(Reasonably) I will gate you to towns, hunting spots.

Tiens-hybrid

Wanderer
LordLardo I'm not gonna make references in a faq to one certain person, feel free to answer any question though with that. I'm sure it is appreciated.

Zelse

Wanderer
You people are already going all out with info for the newbies, which is good. I am glad to see people who care. Let's let some newbies post questions though!

I'm not sure too many newbies know about this section yet, however. =/ But I think adding the url to this forums for the first week of an account's life on every login of their chars would help them a lot.

Gogarth

Wanderer
The Virgin Mary said:
I'm not sure too many newbies know about this section yet, however. =/ But I think adding the url to this forums for the first week of an account's life on every login of their chars would help them a lot.
Thats an awsome idea, it would get some newer players here and would help them out alot so they don't have to meet all the jackasses when they as a simple question and start thinking this shard sucks (Happened to me my first few days here) that and they can post more and have us answer their questions!

Barrabás

Wanderer
There is some problem communicating with Origin. Please restart Ultima Online and try again."?
i read that is because my client version is diferent that dthe server or something like this
what´s wrong, what i do??

Tiens-hybrid

Wanderer
Heh.. did you do what was stated at the 'login to uogamers:hybrid' ?
Did you get razor? Did you enter the right adress?
Did you get Uogateway and tried?