UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A simple guide for the simple minded pvper (Dexxing)

XIQJX

Wanderer
A simple guide for the simple minded pvper (Dexxing)

Intro:
In this guide I will be teaching you to make a dexxer (A dexxer is a character who uses melee skills as his main offence). The title is somewhat misleading though, I really meant this guide to be a simple guide for people new in the pvp scene and since dexxing is the easiest way to start... Well, you can make the connection.

STEP 1: Deciding on a template (Your main 700 skills).
There are a large variety of templates to choose from. In this guide I'll be making a alchy/lumberjack character since its one of the most effective pure dexxers. The template for this character will be:

Anatomy
Tactics
Swordsmanship
Alchemy
Healing
Magic Resist
Lumberjacking

And the stats will be:
100 Strength
100 Dexterity
25 Intelligence

I suggest (unless you can afford the resources to gm it) you remove alchemy from this template and replace it with a skill that would better suite your needs and/or cost less (ie: Hiding). This template (Commonly refered to as an alchy/ljer) specializes in dealing hard hits and pummeling their opponents with explosion potions in order to kill them before the enemy can have a chance at making a counter attack. Its only downside is that you have to either depend on your bandages to heal you or carry around potions (which are cheap but the cost can add up over time) but that isn't too bad since you should be keeping your enemy in defence mode.

STEP 2: Make the new char.
I'm assuming you already know how to make a character so I'm just going to suggest the skills/stats to start with if your making the same character type as I am in this guide. The skills I suggest you start with are:
50 Alchemy
49 Magic Resist
1 Lumberjacking

And the stats I suggest are:
30 Strength
25 Dexterity
25 Intelligence

If you're wondering why I suggested 25 Intelligence, its so you can lock it right away and won't have to raise it any. Which saves a little time.

STEP 3: Macroing your character.
This is the most tedious part of making a character, but the only alternative is donating for a skill/stat ball which most players can't afford to do. To macro you character you will need the following:

A lot of reagents - These will cost you a bit. You can probably get them by finding someone at the bank and asking them for some money for reagents. Tell them your new and need to start macroing your character and they might decide to help (I don't know the exact amount to get from 50-GM Alchemy and Resist but if anyone does I'll change this)
3-5 Hatchets - You will need these to GM swordsmanship, tactics, and lumberjacking.
Around 2k bandages - These you can get free. Go to the bank and ask for a gate to Delucia. When you get there ask someone to take you to the cotton field (Its right next to the tailor shop) and start gathering cotton. When you get close to your max weight go to the tailor shop and use the cotton on a spinning wheel. After you've put it all through the wheel use it on the loom. Once you've got it all into bolts of cloth buy some scissors from a tailor npc and cut the bolts of cloth then cut the cloth you get from the bolts and it will give you bandages.
A friend to spar with.

After you have all your supplies you will need a place to macro. The best place would be a house you own but for some that is not an option. If you can't macro in a house you own I suggest you ask someone to let you (and your sparring buddy) into their guild temporarily so you can macro in a town. If you have to macro in a town take my advice and DON'T MACRO AT WEST BRITAIN BANK! Head to a less crowded town and macro somewhere near npcs (So they call guards if someone tries to steal from you). To prevent stealing I suggest you cover anything stealable you have with your clothes you started with. I also suggest (if your low on cash) that you only train resist to about 80, after that point it gets increasingly hard and it will take A LOT of reagents and time to get to GM. If you don't know how to GM any particular skill I suggest you use sunfire's skillgain guide. Its a great guide and is pretty accurate (Sunfire's guide: http://uogamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21142). Once you've finished macroing move onto the next step.

STEP 4: Gearing up.
Congratulations on finishing your character. You're not ready yet though. Depending on what template you've made and who you plan to be fighting with/against you need to decide on what equipment your going to bring. An example can be seen in the picture below (Which is my alchy/lumberjack who I play solo and loosely roleplay with, and yes, his name is OOC)

As you can see, all I carry is a full set of exceptional armor, an exceptional weapon, some bandaids, and a wand if I have one. If your curios as to why I carry a wand, I use it to un-paralyze myself. I find it easier then trapping multiple pouches, especially since people tend to drop wands on the ground all over. I also pickup potions off my enemies and use them in future battles.

STEP 5: PVP Tactics!
Before you start fighting, I suggest you kill a few monsters in a dungeon to get a feel for how strong your character is, so you have an idea of how hard/often you will be hitting. If you're (un)lucky you might even get your first fight there. Now you're trained, geared, and have a slight idea of what your capable of. Now you just need to learn to control the power you have at your fingertips, I'm going to leave that up to you to learn (since every template has its differences). But I will give you some general tips that should help out any beginning dexxers.

*If you use razor, click the hotkeys tab and click the + on agents. Find the arm/disarm right and arm/disarm left options and set them both to different keys. These hotkeys come in handy if you use wands or more then one weapon because they allow you to easily switch between the two. Put one weapon in your hand and hit the disarm key for that hand. Then put another weapon up and press the other disarm key. Then press it again, then press the other key. Play around with it some till you understand how it works and get a feel for it.

*USE THOSE WANDS! I constantly carry a wand when I play my dexxer because alot of the players here are lame and will try to para/paragank you. Use this by setting another hotkey to "use item in hand". Then when someone para's you hit your arm/disarm key to switch to your wand then hit your "use item in hand" key and target yourself. People constantly tell me that I waste lightning/fireball/etc wands by doing this but I don't care. I'd rather be alive with their loot then be dead and have a bunch of wands laying in my bank/house.

*Break their LOS (Line of Sight). You can do this by turning around corners of houses and such so you can break up their dumps and heal through them.

*Don't be intimidated. If they tell you its lame to run/hide/use pots/gank ignore them. They are just trying to weaken you because they are at a disadvantage.

*DON'T POST IDOC LOCATIONS! I have to post this one just because its a big pet peeve of mine. Even if you die at an idoc never come on the forums to post the location. It just shows that your a sore loser and it ruins the idoc for everyone. Instead of doing this just restock, get some friends, go back to the idoc and roll everyone there. -X- are a good example of how doing this works. We got bola tamer ganked at an idoc the other (I was hanging out with them) so we ressed, came back, rolled all of them that were left and boated Knob Deep's mare.

*Don't kill/res kill someone unless they have something you need or are being an asshole to you. {Eg: Your walking through minoc and see a miner on foot. He is obviously a weak target so you snoop him. He just has 20 iron ore and some shovels. You walk away.} Another case would be {Eg: Your walking through minoc again an hour later and notice the same miner. You snoop him this time and he has 1316 iron ingots and 6 shovels.} In that scenario it would be fine to kill him and take the ingots, I'd do the same myself. Not because I'm an asshole (though that may be part of it), but because I could use the ingots.

Now I'm getting really tired so I'm gonna stop for now. If anyone has any suggestions/corrections for me to add post them and I'll edit them into the guide. Happy hunting everyone!

P.S.
If you really need a place to macro then I'll let you macro in one of my houses TEMPORARILY. My aim is IQJ8SICK if anyone has any questions/suggestions and they don't feel like posting.

Aletheides

Wanderer
Re: A simple guide for the simple minded pvper (Dexxing)

IQJ;625213 said:
*USE THOSE WANDS! I constantly carry a wand when I play my dexxer because alot of the players here are lame and will try to para/paragank you. Use this by setting another hotkey to "use item in hand". Then when someone para's you hit your arm/disarm key to switch to your wand then hit your "use item in hand" key and target yourself. People constantly tell me that I waste lightning/fireball/etc wands by doing this but I don't care. I'd rather be alive with their loot then be dead and have a bunch of wands laying in my bank/house.

They are probably telling you you're wasting the wand because trapped pouches do the same thing but are cheaper and faster

Tilly-

Wanderer

Aletheides;2052212 said:
They are probably telling you you're wasting the wand because trapped pouches do the same thing but are cheaper and faster
If you dont have already trapped pouches it can sometimes be a pain to log on a mage and trap pouches for your dexxer, if u have a good con unlike me i guess you could quickly log on and trap pouches. i just roll a bola tamer :p

Paracelsus

Sorceror

It is not easy for dexxer with 0 magery to cast magic trap in real fight except using the scrolls. Wand is a good supplement to the use-once pouch.

superacidi

Wanderer

how do I macroing resisting spells without the magery skill?

Enin

Traveler

superacidi;2094865 said:
how do I macroing resisting spells without the magery skill?

i just get 2 mages and cast Mana Vampire

nice tip on the wands, thnx, no more pouches
It's more of a backup, no reason to stop using pouches entirely just have a mage character trap them for your dexxer if he does not have meditation.
Also think about being para spammed, after the first use of magic arrow wand/fireball whatever, you would want to mash your magic arrow spell anyways due to wand timer.