UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

A guide on Roleplaying; proper speech.

A guide on Roleplaying; proper speech.

This is my first attempt at a guide, so I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing or not fully up to par. Upon further request I will happily edit or update the guide. The guide is mostly made for newer players, but I'm sure it could help a lot of older players too. Feel free to add constructive critcism!

A Guide to Successfully Talking to Roleplayers

The Obvious Stuff: For players brand new to roleplaying:

The most blatant obvious thing to not do in rolepalying should jump out at anyone who’s participated in an intelligent conversation. Do not, I repeat, do not talk in “1337 speak”. T4lK1ng L1k3 th1z iz n0t g00d rp”
Another, thing I see far too often is real-life abbreviations. Though your character may “laugh out loud” he/she does not “lol”, go “AFK”, or “brb”. What would you think if someone needed to leave for a few moments and just said, “b r b”?
Regardless of what “teh pwner doods” may think, roleplayers do have good PvP, and characters do die. If you are unguilded a good idea would be to not loot the target… do you really need that 250 gold? If you however, must loot, take nothing other than regs, gold, or bandages. Nothing else. Also, make sure to resurrect the dead target. If you can not, tell him/her so they know for sure, but remember to stay in character. Don’t say ”sry, to low first-aid lol”. A more proper saying would simple be, “Sorry, friend, but I am not skilled enough to raise the dead.”

Basic Sentence examples:

Jim has just entered the room, this would be a bad example of roleplaying.

“Hey guys. What’s going on?”

Here is the good example:

*Yawns, and stretches, looking to Bill and Tom* “Hail, friends. What business do we have here?

-Now why is each bad and each good? It has nothing to do with sentence length, I promise. The problem is that “hey” and “what’s going on” are modern English. They are generally not acceptable roleplaying terms. Also, who is Jim talking to? Everyone? Tom? Bill? Why is he so unanimated? In the second sentence he address two players directly, does a simple action, and does not use modern English.

Susan has just been approached by a strange, drunk, man, who is flirting with her:

“What are you doing?”

*Susan takes a step back and looks for a guard* “What do you think you are doing!

The “bad” example here is fairly obvious. When Susan is approached by the strange man she just asks a question. In your mind it may come out as a tense statement, but on paper it is just a question mark. In the second sentence Susan backs away, a normal response, looks for a guard to show nervousness, and asks a question, but with an exclamation point; showing it is more of an exaggerated phrase.

Tim has been approached by a very powerful mage by an enemy guild. Tim is a very strong player, but roleplays a weak warrior.

“I’ll kill you, fool!”

*Looks around nervously, and stammers* Wh- What are you doing here?

-In the bad example, the sentence structure is correct, but Tim is weak as warrior, even though he is a great player who could easily beat the enemy. In the latter Tim shows he is scared in his actions, and shows it in his sentence.

Bill has just been spared by a strong Orc

“I would be able to kill you if you didn’t use explo pots!”

*Breathes heavily, slowly backing up* “Thank you, kind Orc…. *Turns and runs*

In the bad example, Bill talks out of character to a roleplayer, something that should never be done. In the good example he shows he is injured, and responds realistically.

Kelly is being confronted by a guard of Yew Militia, outside of the Laughing Skull.

“What are you doing here?”

*Looks to the guard* “Excuse me, Sir. I am just passing through.

In the bad example Kelly asks a silly (and it is asked very blandly) question. Why would a player of Yew Militia be at a Yew owned house? I wonder. In the good example, Kelly talks clearly, respectfully and directly to a guard. Something that should be expected.

Tom is talking to his guildmaster about a big advancement in the guild he just got.

“OMG MAN! THANKS! I@M SO HAPPY DUDE!!! NOW I CAN FINALY DO COOL STUFF IN THE HOUSE!!!!!”

“Thank you, Sir. I will continue to do my best to serve our order, and protect our fellow knights.”

This is pretty straightforward. The bad is out of character, in all caps, uses abbreviations, and has a very odd typo. The good example shows respect, is realistic, and stays in character.

Advanced Speech and analysis, on enemies and allies:

Bill has just encountered Jane, a bitter enemy, ready for combat.

Bill :Worm, I will mutilate you here, if you do not beg for you life!
Jane: I would not grovel to your kind. *grabs onto her mace*

In this example Bill and Jane, bitter enemies exchange in-character insults to try and prove superiority. Also, Jane getting her mace gives Bill a small moment to prepare himself; that isn’t neccasary, but it could help to get you a better reputation.

Alex has just walked into Carl, a known member of an allied guild.

Alex: Hail, Carl. How has your business gone this day?
Carl: Not as well as I could hope, Alex. The Orcs had almost slaughtered me outside their fort!
Alex: *frowns* This can not stand. We must seek retribution on these beasts. Please, come with me to slay all of the cowards we can!

In this conversation Alex and Carl are polite with one another, because they are friends. Carl was attacked by a guild hostile to both allied guilds, so Alex decided it would be proper to seek revenge.

Kim and Sam, two members of neutral guilds meet each other alone.
Kim: *Looks suspiciously at Sam* “What is your business out here!
Sam: *Frowns at Kim* My business is what it is. Mine. Now perhaps you should leave before my blade finds its way to your skull.

Here Kim and Sam are not polite, as they are not friendly. Sam threatens to attack, but makes no hostile actions.

Re: A guide on Roleplaying; proper speech.

This is all in opinion.... there were a few things I found in your post that you found to be not proper rp however I find to be acceptable...

Post like these should state in huge bold letters at the top of the page that it is the opinion of one person.

Nienor

Wanderer

No flaming in this thread.
That is a fine guide but it all depends on the style of character you choose to Rp and is a good thing for someone who is starting out fresh. Not everyone Rp's the same era of time that one person does so this wouldn't be correct with some guilds but for who you Rp with and your guild it's appropriate.

Maybe instead of calling the person out for the opinion you can provide some assistance and enhance the guide as well ?

Form your own personal rules for how you role play and do not let people change them if you do not want them to. Make sure you are always having fun. Thats all you need to know for role playing.

vortexuk

Wanderer

plague_spores-hybrid;1469621 said:
Form your own personal rules for how you role play and do not let people change them if you do not want them to. Make sure you are always having fun. Thats all you need to know for role playing.

+1 for herc you must form your own characters opion on how to roleplay.

But Elizbeth Gentil Good guide for a newcomer to roleplay , to use that guide on a root bases

Daskin

Sorceror

Not a bad guide for people just getting started on role playing. Definitely wish more people were interested in it.

plague_spores-hybrid;1469621 said:

And yeah... not quite. I mean, good standard rules, but in order to accurately role play you should be in character for the era depicted in the game.