UOGamers Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• To obtain new Razor updates, please reinstall Razor from our new website.

0.9999... = 1?

0.9999... = 1

• yes

Votes: 47 31.3%
  • no

Votes: 103 68.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smartyr

Sorceror
Re: 0.9999... = 1?

proudfoot;1474922 said:
Brilliant copypaste from a math forum.

But, from wikipedia.

I was about to reply with a snide comment about paying attention in school, but if you're anything more than a mouth breathing retard, you don't need to pay attention in school to understand simple conceptual finite math.

plorp;1475471 said:
10x = 9.9990 ( Unless you assume its repeating, in which case it is 9.9999 )

Time for a common sense lesson.

ellipsis = recurring decimal

PS. I really couldn't care less about this thread or topic anymore, this thread is nearly a year old.

Code Blue

Knight

nerds

all i care about is the fact if i drink too much natty ice i wonder if im gonna get mud butt the next morning

proudfoot

Wanderer

Smartyr;1475543 said:
I was about to reply with a snide comment about paying attention in school, but if you're anything more than a mouth breathing retard, you don't need to pay attention in school to understand simple conceptual finite math.

What does school teach nowadays? Plagiarism?
Apparently Plagiarism is encouraged.

Fr0sty;1475469 said:
Show us this website he copy pasted from? Or are you just simply implying that he cannot possibly be that intelligent to come up with something like that on his own? I'm not saying he didn't copy/paste it, I'm just saying show some proof before you accuse someone of plagiarism.

I'm calling it because I've seen that exact paragraph used elsewhere. I'll try to dig up my history.

Red Star-divinity;1476145 said:
0.9999 doesn't equal 1.

You need to add a 0.0001

It repeats.

plorp

Wanderer

Sloth-hybrid;1475890 said:
Time for a common sense lesson.

ellipsis = recurring decimal

PS. I really couldn't care less about this thread or topic anymore, this thread is nearly a year old.

I addressed the situation whether it was repeating or not. What was your point in posting that? Not always does an ellipsis = recurring either. Plus math isn't just common sense, but abstract thinking and understanding of how one to infinite variables and numbers relate.

plorp

Wanderer

If yall want the real answer its this:

0.9999... (repeating) does NOT equal the finite number 1.0

0.9999... (repeating) DOES however have a Limit of 1.0 (when looked at as a result of an equation)
( It is infinitely close to 1.0 but never reaches it. Ex. 0.99 is closer to 1 than 0.9, and 0.999 is closer to 1 than 0.99, onward and so forth )

You can thank Issac Newton for that :)

P.S. - The proof for my statement of it not equaling one is in the second one about Limits. An equation with a Limit cannot ever equal that which is the Limit. Its part of the laws of Limits - Calc 1 stuff

Aryvex

Wanderer

plorp;1476842 said:
If yall want the real answer its this:

0.9999... (repeating) does NOT equal the finite number 1.0

0.9999... (repeating) DOES however have a Limit of 1.0 (when looked at as a result of an equation)
( It is infinitely close to 1.0 but never reaches it. Ex. 0.99 is closer to 1 than 0.9, and 0.999 is closer to 1 than 0.99, onward and so forth )

You can thank Issac Newton for that :)

P.S. - The proof for my statement of it not equaling one is in the second one about Limits. An equation with a Limit cannot ever equal that which is the Limit. Its part of the laws of Limits - Calc 1 stuff
Absolutely true. Go plorp! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.